Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: OHIO STATE CELEBRATES 2015-16 SEASON AT AWARDS BANQUET
Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on April 28, 2016

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/042816aaa.html

HIGHEST TEAM GPA AWARD: Nathan Tomasello
From Parma, Ohio, Tomasello is a sport industry major. He is a two-time OSU Scholar Athlete, Academic All-Big Ten and Big Ten Distinguished Scholar.

KARAGEORGE BATTLING BUCKEYE AWARD: Ke-Shawn Hayes
A true freshman, Hayes finished with a 29-1 record in open tournaments with 20 wins coming via bonus points – seven major decisions, 12 technical falls and one pin.

FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR: Myles Martin
Martin, who came out of redshirt in early January and joined the starting lineup, finished 33-6 overall while becoming the first Buckeye in program history (and just the 15th in NCAA history) to win a national title as a true freshman. Martin’s storybook run to the championship was punctuated with a 11-9 victory over top-seeded Bo Nickal of Penn State in the finals.

MOST IMPROVED: Micah Jordan and Jake Ryan
Both members of the Amateur Wrestling News All-Rookie team, Jordan and Ryan combined to go 43-11 in their first seasons in the starting lineup. Jordan (26-4, 141 lbs.) fell just one win shy of All-America honors and was third at the Big Ten Championships. Ryan (17-7, 157 lbs.) was a NCAA qualifier who went 9-2 in dual matches this past winter.

MOST COURAGEOUS: Bo Jordan
Jordan was a Big Ten finalist and NCAA semifinalist at 165 lbs. who was ranked in the top three of his weight class the entire season. He finished 21-3 overall (14 bonus point wins) and earned All-America honors for the second consecutive season.

MENDOZA LEADERSHIP AWARD: Kyle Snyder
Snyder elected to return to the Buckeyes in midseason and originally intending to redshirt to focus on his quest to qualify for the 2016 Summer Olympics. The sophomore from Woodbine, Md. went 11-0 on his way to winning Big Ten and NCAA titles, the latter coming in dramatic fashion. Snyder defeated two-time defending champion Nick Gwiazdowski of NC State in sudden victory at the NCAA Championships, ending Gwiazdowski’s 88-match winning streak.

ROWLANDS MVP/OUTSTANDING WRESTLER: Nathan Tomasello
Tomasello, the 2015 NCAA champion at 125 lbs., was 27-1 this year and won his second straight Big Ten title with a 3-1 SV-1 triumph over Penn State’s Nico Megaludis. Along the way, he extended his winning streak to 43 straight matches with 22 of those wins coming over ranked opponents.

ALL-AMERICAN AND NCAA CHAMPION AWARDS: Tomasello, Jordan, Martin, Snyder
With third-place showings from Jordan and Tomasello and titles by Snyder and Martin, Ohio State finished third overall at the NCAA Championships. Under head coach Tom Ryan, the Buckeyes have 34 All-Americans, 10 NCAA champions and 16 NCAA finalists. In nine of his 10 years in Columbus, Ohio State has finished in the top 10 of the overall team standings at the NCAA Championships.

RUSS HELLICKSON AWARD WINNERS:
vs. Virginia: Jake Ryan
vs. Arizona State: Bo Jordan
vs. Michigan: Bo Jordan
vs. Nebraska: Micah Jordan
vs. Michigan State: Nathan Tomasello
vs. Wisconsin: Jake Ryan
vs. Edinboro: Nathan Tomasello

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 28, 2016

Thanks for posting.

I'm assuming Bo Jordan won most courageous for wrestling with injury (and giving up a possible NCAA title for the sake of the team). He's in a walking boot.

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on April 30, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Thanks for posting.

I'm assuming Bo Jordan won most courageous for wrestling with injury (and giving up a possible NCAA title for the sake of the team). He's in a walking boot."

Sorry if I am out of the loop, but was this an injury that he had throughout the season or did it occur during the NCAA tournament?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 30, 2016

Brad: I have no idea. Saw a pic of the Bucks banquet and Bo was wearing a boot. When he suffered injury is unknown to me.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 1, 2016

Possible fishing or hunting accident???????? I've heard of people dropping tackle boxes on their foot. Or falling out of tree stands.

Perhaps "the toe" again.

Reminds me...what to you call a Hispanic with a rubber toe? Roberto.

► Add to the Discussion