Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: U tell me, does this guy belong in H of F ?
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 26, 2016

From March 2016 AWN, reader Tom Bartosek of Norwood mentioned it today so i thought i'd reprint it.

Does This Man Deserve H of F ?
The website of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame in Stillwater (Okla.) describes a Distinguished Member as a wrestler who has achieved extraordinary success in national and/or international competition.

I bring this up in light of the fact last year the Ohio Chapter of the H of F inducted GREG WOJCIECHOWSKI, very appropriate. But when I look at his resume I see (Stillwater) Hall of Fame written all over it, not merely Ohio. You decide.

Started As High School Legend
Wojo, as he was known, became a subject in my column several years ago when I reminisced about the greatest high school heavyweights I’ve seen. I discussed Steve Mocco of Blair Academy (N.J.) who wrested earlier this millemium, Luke Fickell of Columbus DeSales (Ohio) in the 90’s, and a forgotten man Greg Wojciechowski of Toledo Whitmer (Ohio) in the late 60’s. No one has ever been more physical than Mocco and he had athleticism, too, being a judo competitor. Mocco was the second heavyweight to be a four-time NCAA finalist (2002-03, 2005-06), the first being Dick Hutton of Okahoma State in the 1940’s. Up there with Mocco in high school, imo, would be Luke Fickell of Columbus DeSales (Ohio), Fickell won the last of his three Ohio titles in 1992 at heavyweight. Fickell won two Junior national freestyle titles after his sophomore and junior years in 1990 and 1991 at 220 pounds. Fickell never wrestled in college, he played football and now coaches football at Ohio State University.

The third of the greatest high school heavyweights that this reporter has seen is from a bygone era, Greg Wojciechowski. The Toledo Blade recently recalled Wojo as he was known; he weighed in at about 245 and was a two-time state champ in 1967 and 1968. By the end of his sophomore year at Whitmer, Wojo was already an accomplished wrestler and power lifter thanks to his training at Dick Torio's Health Club. Torio himself is in the National Wrestling Hall of Fame as an official and was named the Outstanding Official at the 1972 Munich Olympic Games. Torio was assistant coach to another Hall of Famer at the University of Toledo, Distinguished Member Joe Scalzo who brought the World Cup to the United States.

Wojciechowski was the 1971 NCAA heavyweight champion to go with national runner-up finishes in 1970 (losing to Jess Lewis) and 1972 (losing to Chris Taylor) while at the University of Toledo (freshmen couldn’t compete then.).

As a small heavyweight the 6 foot, 260 pound Wojo competed in college and AAU in the “unlimited era” against some of the all-time greatest big men ever: Jess Lewis, Chris Taylor, Jimmy Jackson and Bruce Baumgartener. According to the AAU Hall of Fame, where Wojo was inducted, their website says Wojo collected 13 national titles on the mats wrestling in both freestyle and Greo-Roman. Most of it as a 260 pound heavyweight, though he won a title at 220 as well, wrestling in the unlimited era. In 1972 Wojciechowski came in second for the Olympic team spot in BOTH the freestyle and Greco-Roman heavyweight divisions to his collegiate rival, Iowa State's Chris Taylor who weighed well over 400 pounds.

Wojo was a two time top six place winner in the World Freestyle championships, He was the Olympic alternate in 1968, 1972 and 1976 before making the Olympic team in 1980. Sadly, the 1980 team is the one that will go down in history because President Jimmy Carter would not let America compete in the Moscow Olympics that year. In 1980 Wojciechowski nailed down that position by beating two formidable foes, 1976 Olympian Jimmy Jackson and eventual 4x Olympian Bruce Baumgartner. He later had a 12 year pro wrestling career as “The Great Wojo.” Wojciechowski coached and retired from teaching at Toledo Libbey high school, he resides in Toledo today.

When I compare his accomplishments to other greats in the National H of F, this reporter says YES he belongs. Let me know what you think?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 27, 2016

Seems like an easy yes.

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on April 30, 2016

I believe he deserves induction as well, especially in light of his competing during the unlimited era.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 1, 2016

the reason i posted about Wojo is that in my years of studying Ohio wrestling, i believe there are TWO very legit Ohio candidates for the National Hall of Fame in Stillwater who are not yet inducted. Maybe more but i identified 2.

BEGALA
When i learned of coach JOE BEGALA's extraordinary life & career, 40 years Kent St head plus a timeout when he volunteered to enter the Navy during WWII. Written up in Sports Illustrated in 1961. Twice brought NCAA (now called) Div I tourn to Kent St in the 1960's. Not only a coach but a professor at Kent too, he was a Renaissance man.

i worked one summer 5 years ago to get the info to send a Begala nomination to Lee Roy Smith at the Hall. I was aided by an asst sports info director Aaron Chimenti at Kent St, he felt it was a "slam dunk". But i knew it wasnt, too many years had passed since Begala retired in 1971. I then engaged the help of Neil Waxman, Cleveland enthusiast & CEO of Capital Advisors Ltd, together we submitted twice more to no avail.

WOJO
however WOJO is a different case because his career has recently been recognized again due to the celebration of the 1980 Olympic team that was denied participation by a sanctimonious president Carter. ....13 national AAU titles, encompassing both styles, 3X NCAA finalist (when frosh couldnt compete).

The Ohio H of F Chapter should go to bat for Wojo, imo. They've got the pull, i don't. ...s/BobP

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 18, 2016

Letter in next month AWN:

To High School Editor Bob Preusse,
I read your article in Amateur Wrestling News from March 15th and I'd like to weigh
in on Greg Wojciechowski. I attended the Northwood Ohio schools in the early 70's and
we scrimmaged Whitmer. Since our heavyweight was only 200 pounds, our coach, Jim
Derr scrimmaged Greg to give him a workout.

I attended this year's Jim Derr Memorial Tournament and met Greg. Greg's son is
coaching a Toledo area high school and they were competing in the tournament. Greg
was sitting alone in the stands and I went up and introduced myself. I should have asked
him some questions regarding the 1972 Olympic Camp but I didn't think of it until I got
home.

I haven't attended any Northwood meets since graduation when I attended Boston
College and married a girl from South Boston. Since retiring from teaching and coaching
in Massachusetts six years ago I've been writing a book on Massachusetts wrestling.

My close friend Jim Peckham was the Assistant Coach of the 1972 U.S. Olympic
Greco-Roman team. It is my understanding that Greg got shafted in not making the
1972 team. Chris Taylor as you know was a very large but athletic 400 pounder from
Michigan. Greg tied Chris Taylor twice and lost to Chris Taylor only once by 2 points.
For some reason super heavyweight was the only weight class to have only one wrestler
from the U.S. Every other weight class had two wrestlers, one for freestyle and a second
for Greco-Roman.

To wrap things up, you're right Greg Wojciechowski should be in the National
Wrestling Hall of Fame.

Tom Bartosek
Board of Director's Emeritus
Massachusetts Chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame
East Bridgewater Massachusetts

► Add to the Discussion