Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Spencer Lee to Iowa
Mike Stann added to this discussion on April 23, 2016

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

Quote from Dan Strope's post:

"Iowa now has 4 of the top 8 120lbers Lee, Mejia, Renteria and Wagner (3 jrs, 1 sr) and the #1 ranked 113lber Teasdale (soph). It will be interesting to look back in a few years and see how that all shakes out. The best laid schemes of mice and men...."

a keen analyis by u Dan ...will all those 3 juniors and esp the soph stay in the fold? 4th kid from Young Guns to commit to Iowa. Stritmatter connection.

Brands needed a lifeline and got one, or 2, after team fade at NCAA's, no champs, no trophy, no title in 6 years, Ramos public fiasco.

Buckeyes have their own top prospects in focus: ohio kids Carr, Decatur, Romero, Jordan and need a Hvwt. Fix would be a bonus.

ohio st will Not spend $$ today on "maybes" that will compromise their ability to sign the above prospects."

Bob, it's interesting that you mention hvwt and ohio kids and no Kevin Vough. Is there a reason?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 23, 2016

Quote from Mike Stann's post:

" Bob, it's interesting that you mention hvwt and ohio kids and no Kevin Vough. Is there a reason?"

no reason, its just that i havent specifically heard that Vough is on ohio states must-have list that does definitely include Carr, Decatur, Romero, Jordan.

$$ a factor, want to sign Romero in Nov, Fix too if they get very lucky. Buckeyes going to be careful with their money. Ohio st a young team going into next season, has alot of $ tied up already for the next couple years.

The Case for Urgency
ohio st will have Tomo, Bo and Snyder for 2 more seasons... i believe there is a sense of Urgency to win a Team national title in at least 1 of the next 2 seasons while they have those 3 big guns.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 23, 2016

I think Ohio State is well situated to be top five for next few years but they'll have to be near perfect to win it. Bo, Nate, Kyle and Myles will remain as title contenders but they'll need to get a lot more scoring from the rest of their guys to challenge for another title.

Historically the Bucks have always struggled to get points from non studs in lineup when it comes to NCAA's. Only twice have they ever had five AA's. It's gonna take 6-7 to compete with PSU with at least 3-4 finalists.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 23, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"I think Ohio State is well situated to be top five for next few years but they'll have to be near perfect to win it. Bo, Nate, Kyle and Myles will remain as title contenders but they'll need to get a lot more scoring from the rest of their guys to challenge for another title.

Historically the Bucks have always struggled to get points from non studs in lineup when it comes to NCAA's. Only twice have they ever had five AA's. It's gonna take 6-7 to compete with PSU with at least 3-4 finalists."

I think six All Americans is likely for Ohio State next season.

Hank, u kidding? a mere top 5 in next two years?

i think your wrong, youve been pessimistic in the past-- Bo, Nate, Kyle and Myles can be finalists even champs and Micah, Jake Ryan & KiShawn can score points, thats a very strong 7.

and the 3 wts among JoseRod, Pletcher, Is. White and Kolin Moore can be a pretty fair group.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on April 23, 2016

I think that tOSU will remain in the top 3 for the next couple of years. Any placement out of the top 4 will be very disappointing.

I'll go with 6 AAs because even though we know that Micah has the skill set to AA, he fell short this past season and this upcoming season, he'll be wrestling unfamiliar foes. Have to wait and see how Micah does at 149# before I can make an informed prediction. I'm not predicting Jake Ryan making the podium. So between the unproven wrestlers (Isaiah, Ke-Shawn, Kollin, Luke), hopefully at least one of them will AA this upcoming season.

my reasoning, ohio st 3rd this year and, on paper, team should improve next year-- maybe alot. Heres why:

...3 guys returning have been national champs, no one else has that. plus Bo.

...the outgoing seniors contributed only a very few points at NCAA -- surely that will be replaced and exceeded, how can it not be??

...AA i don't know however guys who will improve incl Micah and Ryan. New help comes from KiShawn and from Kolin Moore. What ohio st gets from these 4 will dictate how far ohio st goes, but its bound to be more than last season, maybe much more.

...team might not win it but will score more at NCAA and be a better dual meet team too.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on April 24, 2016

Bob,

Has the decision been made on what weight Bo Jordan plans on wrestling during the 2016-2017 season? That decision will play a role on rather the team finishes top 3 or top 5. If they move up, that'll be 2 wrestlers (BoJordan and MyMar) at new weight classes. MyMar moving up to 184# will be interesting.

Micah will have to adjust to the size and strength difference but he should be fine. I realize he wrestled 149# during his redshirt year but different opponents when you're starting. 149# returns 7 out of the 8 AAs. This upcoming season will be Jake Ryan's 4th year in the room and I'm curious what's your reasoning in thinking he'll improve and score points at the NCAAs?

I'm excited to see how the redshirt guys perform this year.

Bob,

Has the decision been made on what weight Bo Jordan plans on wrestling during the 2016-2017 season? That decision will play a role on rather the team finishes top 3 or top 5. If they move up, that'll be 2 wrestlers (BoJordan and MyMar) at new weight classes. MyMar moving up to 184# will be interesting.

Micah will have to adjust to the size and strength difference but he should be fine. I realize he wrestled 149# during his redshirt year but different opponents when you're starting. 149# returns 7 out of the 8 AAs. This upcoming season will be Jake Ryan's 4th year in the room and I'm curious what's your reasoning in thinking he'll improve and score points at the NCAAs?

I'm excited to see how the redshirt guys perform this year.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 24, 2016

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

" Bob,Has the decision been made on what weight Bo Jordan plans on wrestling during the 2016-2017 season? That decision will play a role on rather the team finishes top 3 or top 5.

This upcoming season will be Jake Ryan's 4th year in the room and I'm curious what's your reasoning in thinking he'll improve and score points at the NCAAs?
"

Dwight, i see your points however a new wt can also be in fact your best wt. i think White 165, Bo 174.

why wouldnt Jake improve, Micah too, i think both hungry? i sense THIS TEAM is HUNGRY.

Kolin Moore is good prospect, 51 & 0 HS senior year, good soccer player, didnt give up offensive point his senior year. KiShawn we think is ready to be good right now.

this PENN ST lineup that many are genuflecting to, they can be defeated... i think Mark Hall RS's. Ohio st loses only guys that can be replaced. Penn st i think cannot replace Megaludis, Conway & McIntosh.

NCAA Champ Penn State
125— Nick Suriano, true frosh
133— Jered Cortez, trf from illinois
141— Jimmy Gulibon, NCAA fifth (2015)
149— Zain Retherford, NCAA champ
157— Jason Nolf, NCAA runner-up
165— Vincenzo Joseph or Geno Morrelli
174— Bo Nickal, NCAA runner-up
184— Shakur Rasheed or Matt McCutcheon
197— Kellan Stout or Anthony Cassar
285— Nick Nevills

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on April 24, 2016

I've seen rumors in numerous places that Mark Hall may actually be using a grey shirt before enrolling at PSU. Any insight or truth to this one?

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"why wouldnt Jake improve, Micah too, i think both hungry? i sense THIS TEAM is HUNGRY."

Jake may very well improve but I was curious your thoughts on why after 3 years in the room. Watching Jake the first part of the year, I thought maybe I undervalued the young man because he started out the season going 11-0, 6 bonus wins. The 2nd half of the season, he went 6-5, 1 bonus win, not including the NCAAs.

PSU, Cortez and Conaway is a wash. Cortez finished up the season 11-0 unattached and one of his wins was against Conaway, winning 5-4. Cortez was D1CW #12 recruit in 2014. He had to transfer because he wasn't beating Zain Richards.

Mark Hall won't be a factor next season based on the fact that Mark himself keeps saying he doesn't know what his plans are for next season and he's keeping his options open.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 24, 2016

If I'm Cael, I have Zain (149), Nolf (157/165), Hall (174) and Nickal (184) all in the lineup. Hall is too good to redshirt. If he defers enrollment, it will hurt PSU's chances a lot (and improve Ohio State's).

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 24, 2016

[quote="Dwight LeRoy"] PSU, Cortez and Conaway is a wash. Cortez finished up the season 11-0 unattached and one of his wins was against Conaway, winning 5-4. Cortez was D1CW #12 recruit in 2014. He had to transfer because he wasn't beating Zain Richards.[quote]

good point on Cortez, Dwight.

i don't want to leave Cody Burcher out either, could be factor at 157 or 165.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 24, 2016

One potential issue for the Bucks will be whether Nate goes 125 or 133. I think he's outstanding at either weight but the lineup will likely be weaker if he moves up.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next