Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Spencer Lee to Iowa
Gregory Martin added to this discussion on April 20, 2016

I was hoping Spencer came to Columbus but glad to see him get his choice out the way so early Congrats to him because he's a great kid and I know he always loved Iowa I'm sure that stings PSU some because losing kids in your own backyard hurts a little more

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on April 20, 2016

And Gavin Teasdale. Wow. What a recruiting win for Iowa.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 20, 2016

Quote from Gregory Martin's post:

"I'm sure that stings PSU some because losing kids in your own backyard hurts a little more"

yes, and stings buckeyes too, i'm sure--- if u told us he wouldnt go to Penn st i'm sure many would think he was going to be a buckeye. Logan Stieber, Lou Rosselli factors, RTC? i guess not so much.

a lifeline for Tom Brands --what a coup, just when he most needed it too, disappointing NCAA tourn, no champs for 2nd year in a row, 7 years since a team title, Ramos fiasco. Wow.

i did post on here last week it would be peeeeeeen st or darkhorse Iowa but i'm shocked.

Gregory Martin added to this discussion on April 20, 2016

Of course it stings whoever wanted him but it stings more for PSU in my opinion as I said earlier because they essentially lost 2 home grown kids To me it seems like it was some type of package deal going on so that throws wrinkles in the mix but that's just the perception I get

Dan Strope added to this discussion on April 20, 2016

I am sure PSU may have figured that Lee may leave but Suriano isn't exactly a consolation prize. Cael has lost "blue chippers" before and been just fine. I believe Roberts, Haines and Marstellar left and the PSU train just kept humming. PA just has so much talent that you simply can't get everybody and Cael's national draw makes the roster spots that much more crowded.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 21, 2016

I'm pleased with this situation. I always thought he seemed like a long shot for tOSU, and I'd rather see those guys go to Iowa than PSU since Iowa is a step down right now. The enemy of mine enemy...

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 21, 2016

Bucks badly need a 125 prospect. And since Tom Ryan isn't in the "let's find a diamond in the rough and develop him" business, every elite 125 who goes elsewhere puts more pressure on Ohio State. Nate Tomasello looked a bit worn out to me at points during the season because he had to constantly make weight.

I know I'm a one note singer on this topic but Ohio State has got to do a better job finding in-state wrestlers with upside and developing them esp. at the lowest weight class. Bucks have known since Nick Roberts tendered his "resignation" that they needed a prospect. And they're still looking.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on April 21, 2016

Hank,

You're not alone in your assessment for a 125# wrestler, this weight class needs to be filled ASAP. Development is key to any program because teams aren't going to get 5 star recruits at every weight.

NaTo needs to move up to 133# because the weight cut is extremely difficult. Jose Rodriguez is going to try and make 125#, so that maybe an option. Regardless if Rodriguez makes the weight, they need depth at that weight class.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 21, 2016

Quote from Dan Strope's post:

"Cael has lost "blue chippers" before and been just fine. I believe Roberts, Haines and Marstellar left and the PSU train just kept humming. "

don't kid us, this is BIG loss for penn st, at the peak of their power and lose a homestate kid like this, wow. Shows Penn st has some vulnerability too.

Spencer Lee is an all-time great high school wrestler. ....Roberts, Haines and Marstellar proved Not to be "blue chippers" so far.

Cael couldnt have used any of them the way things turned out, i don't think he recruited them with vigor so he didnt lose them. (ok Haines he could have used but only because Nevills got hurt but Nevills is the guy Penn st-- and Ohio st -- both wanted.)

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on April 21, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Bucks badly need a 125 prospect. And since Tom Ryan isn't in the "let's find a diamond in the rough and develop him" business, every elite 125 who goes elsewhere puts more pressure on Ohio State. Nate Tomasello looked a bit worn out to me at points during the season because he had to constantly make weight.

I know I'm a one note singer on this topic but Ohio State has got to do a better job finding in-state wrestlers with upside and developing them esp. at the lowest weight class. Bucks have known since Nick Roberts tendered his "resignation" that they needed a prospect. And they're still looking."

Didn't Nick Roberts end up having quite the year this year in DII?

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on April 21, 2016

Nick Roberts won NCAA DII Championships at 133# and finished the season 22-1.

Dan Strope added to this discussion on April 21, 2016

Iowa now has 4 of the top 8 120lbers Lee, Mejia, Renteria and Wagner (3 jrs, 1 sr) and the #1 ranked 113lber Teasdale (soph). It will be interesting to look back in a few years and see how that all shakes out. The best laid schemes of mice and men....

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 21, 2016

Quote from Dan Strope's post:

"Iowa now has 4 of the top 8 120lbers Lee, Mejia, Renteria and Wagner (3 jrs, 1 sr) and the #1 ranked 113lber Teasdale (soph). It will be interesting to look back in a few years and see how that all shakes out. The best laid schemes of mice and men...."

a keen analyis by u Dan ...will all those 3 juniors and esp the soph stay in the fold? 4th kid from Young Guns to commit to Iowa. Stritmatter connection.

Brands needed a lifeline and got one, or 2, after team fade at NCAA's, no champs, no trophy, no title in 6 years, Ramos public fiasco.

Buckeyes have their own top prospects in focus: ohio kids Carr, Decatur, Romero, Jordan and need a Hvwt. Fix would be a bonus.

ohio st will Not spend $$ today on "maybes" that will compromise their ability to sign the above prospects.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 22, 2016

Iowa has loaded up on lowerwts but will they have dollars to spend on rest of lineup?

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on April 22, 2016

Lee is so good, he'll probably wrestle 25 and 33 and Brands will put the rest on milkshake diets to bulk them up several weights!

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next