Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Lag Time Topic: Women's Wrestling?
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on April 17, 2016

It seems there are varying perspectives on official, sanctioned Women's Wrestling (not "Should Girls Wrestle Boys?" or various and sundry drinking establishment/Car Show "wrestling"), including:

Egalitarianism

"It will increase participation/exposure."

Revenue/Logistical leverage opportunities for Men's Wrestling.

"The effort should be respected; wrestling is wrestling."

It is not interesting.

Other ("Helen Maroulis is easy on the eyes.")

What are your thoughts/opinions/perspectives?

For me:

Succinctly, while I can see a few means to other ends or respect aspects of commitment, it just isn't something that is personally interesting to watch.

Although Helen Maroulis is easy on the eyes. ;)

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on April 17, 2016

Oh, and what level of ability would you compare our best woman/women wrestler(s) with a male equivalent of the same weight in/from Ohio (anywhere on the spectrum you like, i.e. "Junior High State Champion", D1 Qualifer, World Team Member, etc.)?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 17, 2016

Helen Maroulis is an outstanding wrestler. I consider her to be the level of a high caliber high school state champion. I say that as a compliment.

Women's wrestling doesn't capture my interest like the men but I'm sure that would change if I had a rooting interest in a particular wrestler.

Dan Harris added to this discussion on April 18, 2016

At a more local level, Mckayla Campbell from Wauseon dominated at Fargo last year, winning her weight class in Cadet freestyle and then again in Junior Freestyle. I think she placed 4th at Cadet World.I follow just because I admire excellence. Shore wrestling in St. Paris is helping train a lot of the girls in Ohio. Look for Olivia Shore, an 8th grader, to do well in the future.

I'm wondering if the numbers will be high enough at some point for an all girls league during the normal (winter) season, probably a club league starting out.

William Danforth added to this discussion on April 18, 2016

I watch it but not with the same enthusiasm as men's wrestling. This is due to not having vested interest in the participants.

Much like trying to watch a high school match between two Florida team when down south. Hard to get into it without knowing the participants.

Great matches are great matches no matter who is involved. I don't know the Russian wrestlers but have no problem watching the Russian nationals. If the ladies have a good exciting product I believe people will watch the meaningful matches.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on April 18, 2016

Other: Good basic training for Pro MMA.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 18, 2016

Quote from William Danforth's post:

"I watch it but not with the same enthusiasm as men's wrestling. This is due to not having vested interest in the participants."

forget the "vested interest angle", lol --- i have it on good authority that Bill D watches it with enthusiasm in saloons whenever he gets a chance, with a pitcher of beer enthusiasm no problem .

(kidding of course, Bill)

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on April 18, 2016

So, I'm a fan, but nowhere near the same interest level as MFS. But, more so than greco.

I doubt this would be the case if I hadn't coached a stack of good females about a decade ago; I learned about the best women and also technique that would help my girls, so became interested.

Here's my thoughts: we are just starting to see our first generation of female youth mat rats hitting their prime (mid 20s). Prior to this, technique was not good, as many elite women started later in life, some 11th or 12th grade. No shame, it is just how it was.

However, this new batch has cleaner and more polished technique. Gray, Maroulis, Pirozhkova, Campbell...these are talented, talented wrestlers. We don't need to compare them to guys, because they are different physically. I can't do a split or give birth...it goes both ways.

That said, I once heard this comparison made about Olympic medalist Patricia Miranda (2004). She worked out with a 10th grade Henry Cejudo regularly, and was instrumental in his going to the OTC in late HS. Her technique was strong, and given the regularity of their training, I would assume it was at least a reasonable live go.

Long story short: I like womens wrestling b/c I know the competitors' stories. I also agree with Hank that elite women equal to HS state champions, generally, if they wrestled head-to-head, but disagree that the technique is equal. Women like Maroulis or Gray have superior technique due to Olympic level training regiment.

JMO.

Steve Durose added to this discussion on April 18, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Helen Maroulis is an outstanding wrestler. I consider her to be the level of a high caliber high school state champion. I say that as a compliment.

Women's wrestling doesn't capture my interest like the men but I'm sure that would change if I had a rooting interest in a particular wrestler."

Like Logan Stieber or Dave Taylor as seniors in H.S.?
I'm not sure if I believe she's that good but I'll admit I haven't watched any women's wrestling so I have no idea. I certainly didn't think they were on that level.

Kevin Mount added to this discussion on April 20, 2016

I was always very critical of women's wrestling an wasn't afraid to bash it with passion. Then I started believing the theory that I should be supportive of it because it would grow the sport of wrestling as well as helping to provided gender equity in college athletics therefore helping to save men's programs. But, I rarely watched it except on accident, maybe a stream I was watching showed a women's match. What I unconsciously didn't realize was that I was gradually developing an appreciation. This all came full circle at last year's world championship. While watching a great deal of women's wrestling I became a HUGE fan. It hit me that the heart inside of these ladies, the dedication, the toughness, and the pride was no different than the men. They wanted to win and I was on the edge of my seat watching them give all they had. Maroulis and Gray are outstanding American wrestlers and are worthy of the same admiration as their male counterparts. Minus Jordan Burroughs these ladies are the best wrestlers America has.

Saori Yoshida of Japan has 12 world championship and three Olympic Golds, that is unfricking real. Or her country mate Kaori Icho has something like 180 consecutive wins. To me wrestling is all about heart and the desire to reach a goal and to do all they can to achieve that goal. So, count me in, women's wrestling is great!

Granted it will be some time before most wrestling fans come around, there is a certain negative association attached to it having to do with socially accepted female roles. And those outside the wrestling community will likely take even longer to accept it. But, most of them think that men's wrestling is just a couple of queers rolling around in spandex. Society changes and we are making changes in our homophobic attitudes and traditional attitudes concerning female roles, in the home, at work and in sports. Women's wrestling will grow, and I highly recommend giving it a chance.

► Add to the Discussion