Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Lag Time Topic: Better Resources?
Tony Jameson added to this discussion on April 17, 2016

But to dig a little deeper, the one thing I truly needed was the maturity to understand what a gift the sport was, how important it was to me, how much it meant. That knowledge would've given me the vision to be the dedicated student athlete it takes to be successful in our sport. It wasn't my coaches' fault. They tried. It was all me. Maturity and vision would've been a game changer.[/quote]

Yes, +1

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 17, 2016

Quote from Bill Splete's post:

"Micheal,
read your post a few days ago, thanks I felt what you said. Anybody who gets on this site finds out how we really feel about our competitive days. This is a good place to find a better way to coach and parent. It has taken me a lifetime to lay the first block of discipline. I appreciate how u guys lay it out there"

I love this site. I like to have an outlet to talk about this thing that has played such a huge role in my life. I know I piss off the Buckeye faithful from time to time, but this site a place I know I can come and participate in honest and frank discussion about our sport. It's a gift.

As far as the topic, I've been out of coaching for a couple years now. I assume I'll get back into it as my daughter grows up and demands less of my time. That point about young wrestlers truly understanding how much the sport means to them is the one thing that I struggle to impart on my wrestlers. My technique is sound, I can motivate and give a decent pre-match speech. I don't know how to make understand without going through it.

I remember the exact moment I discovered what it took to be a champion in our sport. It was in the 5-10 seconds between the final whistle and the ref raising my opponent's hand in the State Finals. In that moment, I knew I hadn't given everything I had. I knew I cut corners, dogged sprints, partied with friends. The moment I knew what it took was the moment I couldn't do anything about it. When I coach, I try to get them to see that. I've only been able to do it with a few individuals over the years...never team-wide. I assume the best coaches do that. Those kids know what it takes and are willing to sacrifice to chase the dream. I envy those coaches and those kids that "get it" early on.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 17, 2016

One of life's contradictions--strive for greatness and almost certainly fail (everyone does). Or never be honest and courageous enough to try and give excuses. Either way you fall short.

It's just a matter of how. Because that's part of the story of who you are.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2