Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Lag Time Topic: Better Resources?
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on April 12, 2016

In hindsight, which of the following would you have profited most from in your wrestling career and why? (You can only pick one.)

Better Technique

Better Competition

Better Training Partner(s)

More Strength

Better Conditioning

More Experience

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Tony Jameson added to this discussion on April 12, 2016

Conditioning. I also personally believe the most conditioned athlete is more beneficial than the other options the higher level you are. Youth, highschool, college ect.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 12, 2016

More strength.

I wish I would have hit puberty before my senior year. Then maybe I would have had the hormones to generate muscles. I worked out quite a bit but never seemed to get results like my peers. ...that is, until I was half way through the army and finally started sprouting hair on my legs, arm pits, and elsewhere.

It really wasn't until I turned 25 that I sensed my body responding to my lifting.

Meh. Whatevs.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 13, 2016

I needed a good coach to work with me individually. It's so important to have a sense of what you do well and how to build on it as well as someone to help you navigate the mental ups and downs.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 13, 2016

Understanding what things meant and having a coach that could rightly decode them or do it myself. This would eliminate so much of the wasted effort.

I can do it now, but I could not as I was coming up through the ranks.

All too often, 90% of what you hear is half truths and nonsense.

Too funny Hank, I posted this right after your similar sentiment.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on April 13, 2016

All of the above. I didn't hail from a wrestling mecca. Prior to myself, my school had only ever had 3 fellas ever even make it to the state tournament. So there was no blueprint to success for me. Any success I achieved was in the absence of role models or game plan. I just knew it was something I wanted to do and I sought out my own resources. It was a different game than what's available to the kids in my community now.

Cory Surles added to this discussion on April 13, 2016

By far conditioning! I was a guy who could beat you with 20 different moves from any position. Just never had the tank to go all out consistently for 7 minutes because of weight cutting or my nutrition. I never lost by more than 5 in college. Second would probably be technique. In college, our coach never even wrestled! So after high school wrestling and my time on the army team, I basically learned nothing. I felt like I forgot more than I learned :(.

Cory Surles added to this discussion on April 13, 2016

I wrestled with a guy named Jimmy Wallace...He has to be top 5 in all-time takedowns in college. He was basically a middleweight Kyle Snyder. Just broke people with take downs. He averaged more than 8 a match!! Just ridiculous!! I wish I had 75% of his stamina!

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on April 13, 2016

You don't have it on your list of choices, but I would have have liked to have had better interpersonal skills. There were a number of attractive women/girls who came to wrestling matches who were really into wrestling and wrestlers and I would have liked to have made better headway with them.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on April 13, 2016

Quote from Bruce Andrews's post:

"You don't have it on your list of choices, but I would have have liked to have had better interpersonal skills. There were a number of attractive women/girls who came to wrestling matches who were really into wrestling and wrestlers and I would have liked to have made better headway with them."

bwahahahahaha! The Dot Net SOOOOOOO needs a "like" button! Good stuff!

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 13, 2016

I could've used a lot more mat wrestling technique. I gave up four kick out escapes in the state finals and lost by four. I was just never comfortable on the mat...and totally comfortable on my feet...completely one dimensional. I think I had two pins my senior season, and they were against the same kid.

But to dig a little deeper, the one thing I truly needed was the maturity to understand what a gift the sport was, how important it was to me, how much it meant. That knowledge would've given me the vision to be the dedicated student athlete it takes to be successful in our sport. It wasn't my coaches' fault. They tried. It was all me. Maturity and vision would've been a game changer.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 13, 2016

Excellent post, Michael.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on April 16, 2016

Technique. I was wholly committed but didn't know what I didn't know.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on April 16, 2016

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I could've used a lot more mat wrestling technique. I gave up four kick out escapes in the state finals and lost by four. I was just never comfortable on the mat...and totally comfortable on my feet...completely one dimensional. I think I had two pins my senior season, and they were against the same kid.

But to dig a little deeper, the one thing I truly needed was the maturity to understand what a gift the sport was, how important it was to me, how much it meant. That knowledge would've given me the vision to be the dedicated student athlete it takes to be successful in our sport. It wasn't my coaches' fault. They tried. It was all me. Maturity and vision would've been a game changer."

The part about maturity and understanding hits the nail on the head for me. I also had a chance to coach a program and again lack of maturity and understanding of how important that was to me led me away from that. I get it now.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on April 17, 2016

Micheal,
read your post a few days ago, thanks I felt what you said. Anybody who gets on this site finds out how we really feel about our competitive days. This is a good place to find a better way to coach and parent. It has taken me a lifetime to lay the first block of discipline. I appreciate how u guys lay it out there

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next