Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Tony Ramos Slams Iowa and Tom Brands
Dan Harris added to this discussion on April 11, 2016

I don't know if this has been referenced already, but here's a pretty good article on Dennis:

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/wrestling/2016/04/08/olympic-trials-daniel-dennis-returns-to-wrestling-after-two-year-layoff/82786998/

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on April 11, 2016

Tony probably shouldn't had made his comments until his emotions settled down. However, if Tom Brands told him 6 months ago that him and Terry would be in his corner I can see the disappointment. Ramos put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into the Hawkeye program. He didn't deserve to be lied to whether you like his attitude or not. Tom Brands is someone he admired but he was in Daniel Dennis corner providing him with strategies to take his dreams away. It is a dysfunctional situation that many people couldn't deal with. I hope Ramos finds his passion to continue to compete in this great sport.

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on April 11, 2016

Brady hits the nail on the head for me....It was Ramos mocking the Cornell corner after he was flat out GIVEN the match. I've never liked him but could at least admire his desire for the sport. That is certainly gone. I watched a TON of wrestling this weekend and nearly every single guy who lost went to the opposing coaches as well as the victor and shook hands. It may not be a big deal but it was almost an appreciation for the work that was put in.
The ONLY one I saw that did not do this was Ramos.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on April 11, 2016

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"I have no sympathy for Ramos and would only cheer for him if he's wrestling a guy from another country after he made that stupid "I broke him" signal when he was absolutely gifted that caution +1 pt vs Nashon to win the match -- then combine that with his interview after the semifinals where he was whining about not being picked to win the weight.

Insecurities about not being the reporter's / writer's pick to win the weight -- foreshadowed deeper issues going on in him about the HWC.

It was quite ironic that the dude making all the "I broke him" signals absolutely broke in his final match."

Yeah, I tend to lean this same direction as well. He really comes off as being a whiny, little biznatch in this one. It's not often I agree with some of the comments that come out of the Brands brothers. But you've damn sure gotta respect them as icons and men of integrity within the sport. Just feels like sour grapes on Ramos' part. Well stated on Tom's part, IMHO. He took the high road and kept it classy.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on April 11, 2016

One thing I'm looking forward to is seeing how the Iowa faithful respond to Ramos's antics when they are directed towards them. Fans of other programs have discussed at length his behavior only to have the Iowa faithful staunchly defend him as "intense" or "competitive." Let's see how they act when his crybaby behavior leaves egg on their face.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on April 11, 2016

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"Yeah, I tend to lean this same direction as well. He really comes off as being a whiny, little biznatch in this one."

Straight Outta Orab. 😉

Jack Muni added to this discussion on April 11, 2016

Quote from Jamie Teel's post:

"Brady hits the nail on the head for me....It was Ramos mocking the Cornell corner after he was flat out GIVEN the match. I've never liked him but could at least admire his desire for the sport. That is certainly gone. I watched a TON of wrestling this weekend and nearly every single guy who lost went to the opposing coaches as well as the victor and shook hands. It may not be a big deal but it was almost an appreciation for the work that was put in.
The ONLY one I saw that did not do this was Ramos."

I will always remember that iconic picture of Logan extending his hand after he beat Ramos at the Big Tens at Purdue, and Ramos shouting at Logan like a spoiled poor sport little kid and being somewhat restrained by the ref. Maybe he didn't give Dennis the "evil stare down" at the start of the match. That was it, that's why he lost.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on April 11, 2016

I am in the middle on this debate. Some of the things Ramos has done in the past are pretty low class, but I was also very happy for him when he won his national title. He seemed like a guy who just kept plugging and grinding, and deserved it.

I absolutely see why he should feel slighted by the HWC. To have your coaches in the other corner would be devastating. In high school, I could not wrestle unless my dad was in the corner (I was kind of a baby). If he had been in the corner of my opponent, it would have killed me.

I know this is nowhere near the same situation, however, you could see the comparison. The Brands have to be like family to him, and to have that family show more support to the other guy had to take a little wind out of his sails.

I think his antics is a completely different debate for another thread.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on April 11, 2016

From what I heard in the interviews, it sounded like Tom said he would be in Ramos corner figuratively and Tony thought he would be literally.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on April 11, 2016

Ramos has the rep for being whiny, and this was something to complain about after the loss. If he lost to Garrett or Scott, he would have found something to complain about. If he wins the trials and is our rep, this is a non-issue.

Whether the issues are real or imagined, it's horrible form to make the comments he did, how he did, and when he did.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on April 12, 2016

Not a huge Ramos fan, but here's an interesting take. I remember the Logan-Ramos photo right after the finals match.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/2016/04/11/andy-hamilton-usa-wrestling-olympic-trials-tony-ramos-daniel-dennis/82921152/

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 12, 2016

Flo's video series on the Yaragin had a special called 57kg, the Iowa Situation. They interviewed Ramos, Dennis, and Terry Brands. Ramos was the only one that seemed bothered by it. Terry in fact said that, without talking to anybody about it, he figured that he'd be in Ramos' corner and Tom would be in Dennis' corner. This is sour grapes from a bad loser.

I get the feel that he is a always looking over my shoulder insecure guy. He said in his bash Iowa interview that he didn't have a problem with Matt McDonough being there because he never left. Wrong, he dind't have a problem with McDonough being there because he wasn't a threat to Ramos.

Seriously guys, who did he expect to be in Ramos corner -- Duroue? Oh wait, he was in his corner in match 2. Brands and M* were sitting in chairs behind the Ref's.

Dennis has been in that room for over a year -- and Ramos hadn't lost to a single guy in the US during that time. It's only a problem when you lose. I can't see Dennis giving the same interview if Ramos had won.

Lastly, as a man, he should have went to Tom directly and talked to him -- nah, he chooses to air it out in an interview. He sounds like the jilted boyfriend except he wasn't jilted by Terry, you know, the guy that coached Cejudo to an Olympic Gold. Instead, he was worrying about the other dude. Total sour grapes.

Just read the Hamilton article. Well done. He says nicely what I'm saying here. Sour Grapes.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 12, 2016

A couple things. Brands knew he had two of the best 57 kg wrestlers in the nation and high likelihood that one or the other is going to make the Olympic team.

For your program to be relevant in freestyle, you need to put someone on the team.

He wasn't going to let Dennis go; especially to Virginia Tech. Can you imagine how that would have looked if Dennis had been training there this past year. Wow.

Yeah he told Ramos what he wanted to hear, but did otherwise.

I made the analogy of a guy with two girlfriends. He wants both of them so he tells them what they want to hear. They may even be aware that they are being cheated on but are in denial. It is not going to end well with one getting the ring and the other left with hard feelings.

Whose side do you take? The one you align with of course.

On another note is optionality. Ramos was likely locked into Iowa and wasn't going anywhere whereas Dennis had optionality. When you leave yourself no options, you often get stuck with a sheet sammich.

I am saying that it fairly complex situation in which trust was violated in favor of winning, so say what you want about Ramos. I am giving him a pass, although I have never cared for his antics before.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 12, 2016

I think you guys are hard on Ramos. Not all wrestlers say the right things all the time. He's a great competitor and always gave Logan really tough matches. That speaks volumes as to who he is....not some bitterness after a loss. Some guys simply can't handle losing and fail to behave gracefully.

I'd love to have Ramos training in Columbus. It would be great for Nate and the team in general. I'm sure Ramos wouldn't mind being coached by Lou Rosselli.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 12, 2016

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"I am saying that it fairly complex situation in which trust was violated in favor of winning, so say what you want about Ramos. I am giving him a pass..."

Here's why he gets no pass from me -- Tony said at beginning of his interview that he took the blame for the loss as he was on the mat -- and he should have. Tom not in his corner had nothing to do with not getting to DD's legs once (or Nashon's and only to C.Scott's legs once). Tony was cornered by one of the best coaches in FS in America. If I believe in that guy that much, why worry about who's in the oppositions corner. Worried they are giving DD your secrets/how to beat you? Would not the same apply for Terry coaching Tony?

Then he goes on to dump on Brent Metcalf and "everybody" else in the HWC because they didn't want him to win? Really? That says more about who you are.

Tervel said this sport has a way of humbling you. It does/has for Metcalf - and I'm more of a fan of his now than ever before. Gable gave an interview before the Trials and made a comment about guys like Ramos learning a thing or two from Metcalf. All this tells me there are some problems many are seeing in Ramos -- but he's not seeing any of it.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next