Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Tony Ramos Slams Iowa and Tom Brands
Matt Mace added to this discussion on April 10, 2016

Ramos has nothing good to say about Iowa in general and Tom Brands specifically. Plans on moving on.

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/966258-ramos-was-stabbed-in-the-back-by-iowa

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 10, 2016

Pretty raw stuff.

Curt Heinrichs added to this discussion on April 11, 2016

Wow. Very interesting, especially since it looks like he was interviewed very shortly after his match. It would be interesting to see what Ramos has to say after he has time to process the loss and wrap his mind around it.

From a devil's advocate standpoint, here's Brands' take on the situation.

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/966259-tom-brands-responds-to-tony-ramos-comments

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on April 11, 2016

Very interesting topic. Not sure where I land, although I suppose I see both sides.

You can point to several RTCs that have multiple representatives at a weight. They seem to get along fine and without incident. It would be tough for these programs to thrive with only one person per class.

However, it would be tough if your coaches/club brought in the person who eventually beat you.

I love Ramos's candor, but he probably should have slept on it before commenting. He has a wife and child, are they ready to leave Iowa? And in the moment it came off as whining when in fact it may be a legit gripe.

Gregory Martin added to this discussion on April 11, 2016

He was already thinking about leaving before this happened so I'm sure it was already thought about

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 11, 2016

I feel badly for Ramos because he has a legit point about being the #1 guy and then having his own RTC bring in another guy who could beat him. It's one thing to be willing to take on the best comp. But it's another to train every day with that competitor. Still, the Ohio RTC has had Bergman and Snyder together as well as Hump and Logan. Is that unique?

It's a complicated situation.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on April 11, 2016

If any of his "gripes" were legit, Tony Ramos' best response would have been to simply beat Dan Dennis on the mat.

I have no sympathy for someone whose sensibilities were so offended by who ate dinner with who.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on April 11, 2016

deleted for double

Last edited by Brian Nicola on April 11, 2016; edited 1 time in total

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on April 11, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"I feel badly for Ramos because he has a legit point about being the #1 guy and then having his own RTC bring in another guy who could beat him. "

I would argue if there is someone who can beat you, then you're NOT the #1 guy.

That said, I think his is an emotional response. He has no real gripe with Matt McDonough...the fact that Dennis left for a year is his complaint. If they straight up lied, that is another story, but most of the comments that come out of Ramos' mouth are arrogant and aggressive. He's a stud...but why would his communication methods change now?

On the other hand, Dennis, who beat him handily yesterday, seems humble, intense and has a great back story. And he's real, real good.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 11, 2016

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"If any of his "gripes" were legit, Tony Ramos' best response would have been to simply beat Dan Dennis on the mat.

I have no sympathy for someone whose sensibilities were so offended by who ate dinner with who."

Ultimately, you guys are correct. I think Ramos biggest issue was knowing that there was a guy out there who could beat him who was being trained by his own coaches. That's a complicated scenario if you were clearly there first.

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on April 11, 2016

In no way do I feel sorry for him. He could have left at anytime. There are not many places that would accept his antics. I used to think he played the bad guy role for motivation or simply to build a match. After his "who else do you want me to beat" interview I have no compassion left for his behavior! Who else do I want you to beat....try Nashon Garrett because YOU didn't beat him!

Look at it this way, If Kyle Snyder had lost do you believe he would blame Tom Ryan and his workout partners?

Roe Fox added to this discussion on April 11, 2016

I have never been a fan of Ramos but this Brands comment made little sense to me:

"It's not about Rio in 2016."

I have to imagine at the Olympic level that is all it is about for Ramos. Brands keeps talking about "his" Hawkeyes. This isn't college anymore. That is why if he was promised the alpha dog spot he might be upset. IF what he is saying is true, promises were made and not kept. Not good for Brands.

Interesting, too, are the seemingly pro-Terry and anti-Tom comments.

A similar thing just happened with a recruit who said he felt shunned by Urban Meyer and Ohio State. First thing Meyer did was publicly apologize, then address it with the coaches. Humility is a powerful thing.

For any posters who wrestled internationally, does practicing with the new guy help him or you? I would think the former because once your number one where do you go? Does it make that big of a deal if you aren't the exclusive guy from a training standpoint?

My initial feeling like others was if he didn't like it, beat Dennis. My second thought is my ignorance of that talent level and training situation may color my view. The Olympics happen every four years. Ramos is now done for this cycle.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 11, 2016

I have no sympathy for Ramos and would only cheer for him if he's wrestling a guy from another country after he made that stupid "I broke him" signal when he was absolutely gifted that caution +1 pt vs Nashon to win the match -- then combine that with his interview after the semifinals where he was whining about not being picked to win the weight.

Insecurities about not being the reporter's / writer's pick to win the weight -- foreshadowed deeper issues going on in him about the HWC.

It was quite ironic that the dude making all the "I broke him" signals absolutely broke in his final match.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on April 11, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Ultimately, you guys are correct. I think Ramos biggest issue was knowing that there was a guy out there who could beat him who was being trained by his own coaches. That's a complicated scenario if you were clearly there first."

I'm at work right now, so I can't really watch Flo videos in an office setting, but even if Dennis did leave for a while, he was a Hawkeye before Ramos was, so I don't see any problem with him coming back to the Hawkeye WC. I've never been a fan of Ramos' attitude, so I hope this loss causes him to be a little more humble in the long run. I talked to Dennis at a tournament a few years ago since he is also from Illinois like myself, and he is a lot more easy-going than Ramos.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on April 11, 2016

I've listened to the Ramos interview and I have no sympathy for him. I haven't liked him for a long time. He's full of a lot of false bravado and this is an issue he should have addressed with Tom in private instead of talking to Tom through the media. That's a BS way of voicing your displeasure with your coach. He had Terry in his corner. Did he want Dennis to be shunned by the HWC staff? In an interview about a month ago, Terry said he thought he'd corner Ramos and Tom would corner Dennis.
While I'm happy to see a changing of the guard of sorts at 65kg I'm not happy to see Metcalf so distraught. There was a time when I enjoyed watching him lose but he's grown on me primarily because he's inward focused. He takes full responsibility for his losses and I've never heard him deflect to blame others. I really respect Metcalf and his class. Ramos could learn a thing or two from him.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next