Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Trials
Mike Taylor added to this discussion on April 9, 2016

I think Reece and James Green have the same problem. Both are "tweener" and really don't belong at 65kg. Reece is best suited for 60kg while Green was better at the weight above (can't remember the non-Olympic weight above 65kg).

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Quote from Luke Moore's post:

"Obviously, we all pull for Logan, but that is just a terrible result for USA wrestling. Milliner has zero chance to do anything in Rio. Logan is so much better! Frustrating!"

Absolutely. In all of this, I'm trying to place my Buckeye bias aside and pull for the guy who will stand the best chance in Rio. In my opinion, that guy is NOT Mollinaro. Hopefully Pico wins the finals (but even his international results have been mixed if not questionable). I think many wanted anyone other than Metcalf so I guess we'll see what we've got now that we've gotten what we asked for.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on April 9, 2016

Logans shot defense has consistently cost him matches that he has been in control of. He tries to hang in when he would be smarter to bail out more times then not.

Reece physically just couldn't go in that last match. I'm curious if this will be it for him

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on April 9, 2016

Would be surprised to see the weight qualify to Rio through Molinaro.

Pico has had some success internationally, though it's been more not good than good for the results. The silver lining would be his youth could suggest this is a "turning the corner" as opposed to just a "run". I don't think he's a viable medal contender in Rio, and if I was to bet it's only 50/50 he can get the weight to Rio.

Quote from Josh Lowe's post:

"Would be surprised to see the weight qualify to Rio through Molinaro.

Pico has had some success internationally, though it's been more not good than good for the results. The silver lining would be his youth could suggest this is a "turning the corner" as opposed to just a "run". I don't think he's a viable medal contender in Rio, and if I was to bet it's only 50/50 he can get the weight to Rio."

I tend to agree with you on your entire assessment. We're talking about who would do best in Rio yet they may not even get the chance as they may not even qualify the weight.

Boy, not Metcalf's best day. He loses again...this time to Jason Ness.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 9, 2016

Pico should be a high school senior, beat Micah Jordan 2012 Ironman 4-3, Dean Heil 3rd at 132.

Pico is a Prodigy. And a prodigy's time is "Now"-- same as Tiger Woods when he came out, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Serena Williams, and a handful of others. They wait no turn, know no limits, observe no schedule, they defy expectations ...their time is Now.

John Herren added to this discussion on April 9, 2016

Can someone please tell me what mats Logan and Reece wrestled on? Want to watch them.

Quote from John Herren's post:

"Can someone please tell me what mats Logan and Reece wrestled on? Want to watch them."

I believe it was mat 3

Stieber was around the 3:32.00 timeframe and Reece was right after him.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 9, 2016

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

" Pico is a Prodigy. And a prodigy's time is "Now"-- same as Tiger Woods when he came out, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Serena Williams, and a handful of others. They wait no turn, know no limits, observe no schedule, they defy expectations ...their time is Now."

oooops, i should add Kyle Snyder to Prodigy list, their time is Now

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 9, 2016

65K still has to be qualified. At this point, I'm pulling for Pico. Bob's comments about prodigies are spot on.

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Pico should be a high school senior, beat Micah Jordan 2012 Ironman 4-3, Dean Heil 3rd at 132.

Pico is a Prodigy. And a prodigy's time is "Now"-- same as Tiger Woods when he came out, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Serena Williams, and a handful of others. They wait no turn, know no limits, observe no schedule, they defy expectations ...their time is Now."

You bring up an interesting point I had forgotten...Pico should be finishing high school or at least 1st year of college. I think because he's wrestled at the senior level for so long and so much was expected of him I'd been somewhat underwhelmed by his results. However, when I consider his age that makes the simple fact that he is competing with the senior level guys very impressive. He's still very young and I had forgotten that. Now, with that said I still am not too confident he'd medal at the Olympics if he wins the trials and the weight is qualified.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 9, 2016

Mike: Would you be more confident in a bunch of ex-folkstylers?

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Mike: Would you be more confident in a bunch of ex-folkstylers?"

Nope. Truth is nobody at 65kg made me extremely confident. In my opinion, our best medal hopes (leading in to this tournament based on their international results over the past 12 months) were Kennedy and Logan. Pico has been very up and down against senior level guys on the international stage. I suppose its clear why this weight has yet to be qualified.

Edit: I forgot about Metcalf. I actually expected him to win this weight again but fail to do anything at the Olympics. Oliver hasn't done anything internationally over the last year, to my knowledge, so I really didn't think he'd win this tournament.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next