Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Allan Hart - NHSCA Finals
Jeff Reid added to this discussion on April 4, 2016

The kid from MO is tough. Check out the pin at the end. I do think the kid pinned himself, but kind of BS for the ref to call it. Thoughts?

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/963752-126-finals-kyran-hagan-mo-vs-allan-hart-oh

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Curt Heinrichs added to this discussion on April 4, 2016

Requires a FloPro account, FWIW.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on April 4, 2016

Quote from Jeff Reid's post:

"The kid from MO is tough. Check out the pin at the end. I do think the kid pinned himself, but kind of BS for the ref to call it. Thoughts?

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/963752-126-finals-kyran-hagan-mo-vs-allan-hart-oh"

I can't see the video so I have no idea what happened BUT how is this on the official??
Don't put YOURSELF in that position. The official didn't put him there.
Would it be fair to the opponent if a fall was not called?
Besides, when an official has this situation they generally allow a touch more time than a standard pin. I also try to move to a position where the coach can see what I see so he has very little wiggle room. It is not a call we want to make.

Remember that to make no decision is also to decide.

Jeff Reid added to this discussion on April 4, 2016

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"

Quote from Jeff Reid's post:

"The kid from MO is tough. Check out the pin at the end. I do think the kid pinned himself, but kind of BS for the ref to call it. Thoughts?

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/963752-126-finals-kyran-hagan-mo-vs-allan-hart-oh"

I can't see the video so I have no idea what happened BUT how is this on the official??
Don't put YOURSELF in that position. The official didn't put him there.
Would it be fair to the opponent if a fall was not called?
Besides, when an official has this situation they generally allow a touch more time than a standard pin. I also try to move to a position where the coach can see what I see so he has very little wiggle room. It is not a call we want to make.

Remember that to make no decision is also to decide."

You are right, it is not the officials fault. The MO kid was basically trying to turn Hart from the top position and looked like a yachtsman trying to lean back on the rails of a boat to keep if from flipping. He went back too far and both shoulders touched. He came off the two shoulders and the ref called the pin. I guess my wording should have been that it was unfortunate for the MO kid as he probably would have won the match.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on April 4, 2016

fun match to watch. I think the ref made the right call. Even on offense the wrestler needs to be aware of the standard for a pin. Hart almost fell to a defensive pin himself a couple times earlier in the match. I wonder if that made the ref ready to call a defensive pins, seeing as there were 2 close calls earlier.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on April 4, 2016

I can relate this funny story from a few years back.
I was officiating a kid from Orange HS in the semis of a local tournament. His coach is well known in NE Ohio. The kid goes to use a guillotine on his opponent and leans back too far. I do as I always do, make sure the blades are flat and call the fall. The kid was clueless but his coach saw it.
The unfortunate part is that I knew his parents fairly well and Dad was NOT happy. He called me everything but a human being. I was comfortable with the call even though you really don't like them.
Later in the day the Dad watched a video of the match, came to me, and apologized. He said he was really upset at the time but having seen the situation from a different angle, the call was correct. I told him that I understand and that dads sometime get emotional.
Where this gets funny is that the kid wrestled the consi-semi match and won it so he goes for third. I did not have the third place match but I was able to watch as the kid did exactly the same thing with exactly the same result.
Ooops!

► Add to the Discussion