Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Does Snyder deserve the Hodge?
Luke Moore added to this discussion on March 25, 2016

I know what he did is unreal and I think he is the best wrestler in the country, but only wrestling 12 matches doesn't seem like he fits the criteria of COLLEGE wrestling's best wrestler. This would be compared to Cardale Jones winning the Heisman last year when he tore through the Big Ten title game, then the playoffs. Impressive? Yes. Deserving of a year long award? Not sure.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 25, 2016

I agree, especially when compared to Retherford & Dieringer's SEASON-LONG dominance.

I read a few tweets from the Ohio State Wrestling account today. It was selling "Snyder for Hodge" but I wasn't buying.

Ain't hatin. Just statin.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on March 26, 2016

I would say no. In order to be "college wrestler of the year", which the Hodge is in many ways, one has to have a meaningful season. I don't see a couple duals, the conference tournament, and the NCAA tournament as a meaningful season.

The obvious picks are Retherford or Dieringer. Pick one of them and call it a day.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 26, 2016

The description of the Hodge from W.I.N. Magazine:

"The WIN Magazine/Culture House Dan Hodge Trophy, presented by ASICS, is considered the Heisman Trophy for amateur wrestling and has been presented to the nation’s best wrestler since 1995."

Note that "amateur wrestling" is in there, not "college wrestling". Is there a distinction? Snyder was still an amateur while wrestling at the World Championships. Snyder has been wrestling as an amateur since the end of last college season.

I know that it could open up a small can of worms, but if it is an award for "amateur wrestling", I would argue that encompasses more than simply "college wrestling".

Just playing Devil's Advocate, as is my profession. ;)

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 26, 2016

And just to be sure, I checked, and Wikipedia, the new source for all information, describes the Heisman as the award for the most outstanding "college" football player.

#GoBucks
#SnyderForHodge

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 26, 2016

I think we all have criteria in our mind as to what the Hodge should be and who should get it. Personally, I think it's Dieringer because he and Retherford had comparable seasons and he's been doing it for three seasons.

That said--sometimes criteria don't quite fit. If you truly go by their criteria, then there's a great case to make for Snyder by virtue of his world title.

My guess is Dieringer gets it. But to paraphrase/quote our esteemed colleague, Mike Rodriguez, "I'm wrong a lot."

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on March 26, 2016

I think Kyle Snyder should be the recipient of the Hodge Trophy. He embodies dominates at a weight class in which he had to overcome 50 pounds of mass and battled a wrestler with an 88 match win streak! Gwiz is the same wrestler who ended Tony Nelson's( he was good 4x AA) run as a 3-time champion as only a sophomore. How many times have Gwiz, Coon, and Waltz been taken down this year by other opponents? Kyle Snyder is clearly the best wrestler in the NCAA because of those reasons.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on March 26, 2016

Quote from Chris Thomas's post:

"I think Kyle Snyder should be the recipient of the Hodge Trophy. He embodies dominates at a weight class in which he had to overcome 50 pounds of mass and battled a wrestler with an 88 match win streak! Gwiz is the same wrestler who ended Tony Nelson's( he was good 4x AA) run as a 3-time champion as only a sophomore. How many times have Gwiz, Coon, and Waltz been taken down this year by other opponents? Kyle Snyder is clearly the best wrestler in the NCAA because of those reasons."

In addition he has done something clearly above and beyond any college wrestler before him. That he competed at both international and college level in the same season just boggles my mind (rather small and easy to boggle I will say).

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on March 26, 2016

Based on the criteria below, I don't see how Kyle deserves the Hodge Trophy. His number of competition matches is so limited, that it puts him behind in the first 4 criterias. If Kyle would have wrestled a full season, he would be in the race with Zain.

Voting Criteria
Criteria for the award include: 1. A wrestler’s record; 2. number of pins; 3. dominance on the mat; 4. quality of competition; 5. past credentials; 6. sportsmanship/citizenship; and 7. heart. The first four criteria are the primary criteria. Number of pins is an extremely important criteria. Part of the reason the award was created was to elevate the importance of the pin, and to motivate top collegians to go for the fall. The Hodge Trophy is a single-season award. However, if you have two candidates who are virtually equal, consideration can be given to past credentials, which is criteria No. 5. The last two criteria should be used to help guide voters to select a winner who also is a good representative of the sport.

http://www.win-magazine.com/v2/2016/03/online-ballot-for-2016-win-magazinec-h-dan-hodge-trophy-presented-by-asics-3/

Dwight: Then why was he nominated? (playing devil's advocate)

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on March 26, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Dwight: Then why was he nominated? (playing devil's advocate)"

Hank,
That is a question for the individuals who nominated Kyle. It's my understanding that NCAA champs who are undefeated are automatically nominated. Maybe an expert like Josh Lowe can provide more insight on how the nomination process works.

I gave my opinion on Luke's question using the criteria that WIN provided.

Fair enough.

► Add to the Discussion