Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ponder this: Tommy Rowlands vs Kyle Snyder
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 20, 2016

Tommy Rowlands at ohio st vs Kyle Snyder, think about it-- imo Dream Match in college folkstyle. Maybe better even than Gwiz vs Snyder. Am i crazy? here's my reasons:

...Tommy 3X finalist, only prevented 4X by torn ankle ligaments Kansas City in quarters. So Tommy was one of greatest college Hvwts.

...Tommy at 233-35 lb only a bit heavier than Kyle, and BOTH VERY aggressive. Would be non-stop attacks.

...Tommy wrestled in WRONG ERA for his style, he was an attacker, but rules in those days favored Stallers. Refs quick to blow whistle now, would swallow whistle in Tommy's era.

...Stallers like Illinois hvwt Tommy lost to in finals as frosh. Tommy attacked entire match then even lost disc flip which was certain death in that era. There was no one-more-minute on feet then. U lose disc flip u lose match 85-90% of time back then.

...When Tommy career at ohio st was done he was Buckeyes All-Time Takedown leader, imagine that a Hvwt the tkdwn leader.

...Tommy had advantage of being Tall but not too tall, just as agile as Kyle, just as aggressive.

...i think this Dream match would be sensational, with outcome uncertain. ...BobP

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 20, 2016

Great point about how Tom was at a disadvantage due to the rules. He won in spite of it.

Gut reaction--Snyder has the advantage. He's like Mocco with offense. Tom's size would have worked against him.

But Tom is certainly one of the all time great heavies and we'll never know for sure.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 20, 2016

Just for kicks....Tom was 5th in the world at 285 in 2007. Snyder has won worlds at 96K.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on March 20, 2016

The current Tom Rowlands didn't recently fare so well with the current Kyle Snyder, when Tom recently visited the OSU room.

He admitted such, and Ben Askren enjoys teasing him about it.

This has come up a more than a few times on the T-Row and Funky Show podcasts.

For those who haven't listened to their podcasts, a new one comes out every Weds. My favorite wrestling podcasts.

Here's a link to their latest (#18):

http://trowandfunkyshow.podomatic.com/entry/2016-03-16T08_10_33-07_00

Among other things, they discuss methods to get people outside of wrestling to gain an appreciation for and involvement in the sport.

I have little faith of that happening. If you haven't rolled on the mat, wrestlers will only begrudgingly allow you to be part of their very selective fraternity.

Exceptions include family members and respected wrestling journalists, such as a certain esteemed contributor to this forum.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 21, 2016

Snyder might prevail no doubt, however one thing about Tommy's era, his college era favored the staller, esp at Hvwt.

Cannot underestimate the effect of refs often leting stallers go w/o penalty back then vs todays making them wrestle which provides guys likeSnyder opportunities to score. Tommy would benefit from it no doubt, benefit ALOT imo.

Hank,
Snyder not like Mocco at all, imo. Mocco had limited leg attacks, his style was he rarely bent his, he had the trip he liked to use and he had very very heavy hands. As well as indomitable toughness. But legs? not so much.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 21, 2016

Bob: I wrote "he (Snyder) is like Mocco with offense." I was referring to Snyder's height and power. Snyder is incredibly strong witness the fact he stuffed good leg attacks by Gwiz 3 times.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Bob: I wrote "he (Snyder) is like Mocco with offense." I was referring to Snyder's height and power. Snyder is incredibly strong witness the fact he stuffed good leg attacks by Gwiz 3 times."

ok Hank, i got it now --- Snyder incredible no one doubting.

i'm mereley making case i'd like to see Tommy wr in current era where refs call stalling and make the hvwts wrestle, AND you don't lose in finals because u lost disc flip -- his tkdwn record he set while at ohio st would be even much higher in current era.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on March 21, 2016

I wonder where Snyder ranked on the team this year as far as takedowns. He was really racking them up.

LOL as u can tell i never quite got over the UGH "disc flip" era (nor the "balls in the bag grab" either in FR -- --

if Sndyer was competing on Saturday under Tommy-era rules, there would be no winning OT tkdwn in the one minute on feet period. Instead one of them would go top, one bottom for 30 seconds-- neither position advantageous to Kyle, and he said as much afterwards.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 21, 2016

I think we all know where I stand on this matter.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 21, 2016

Tommy and Kyle both represent the new ere of heavies, athletes who compete at lower weights but have the frame to continue to grow and add strength.

When that type of athlete is identified, the output is unique and will give 270 pound heavies fits.

How many times did Gwiz, Walz, Coon, etc have to truly defend high-level leg attacks? Rare at that weight.

If I'm a college coach I would try to identify HS 220s who are 6'3" and above. Bring them in, RS for a year, then set them loose.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on March 21, 2016

A couple of weeks ago I suggested this very idea to Rowlands on his twitter as a benefit match. He replied he'd be up for it, if it were the right cause.
Has there ever been a OSU alum vs active team dual?
Who would you match up?

David Rourke added to this discussion on March 21, 2016

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"If I'm a college coach I would try to identify HS 220s who are 6'3" and above. Bring them in, RS for a year, then set them loose."

How tall is Stencel? Would fall into that category? He's definitely quicker than most guys he wrestled are 220.

Quote from David Rourke's post:

"

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"If I'm a college coach I would try to identify HS 220s who are 6'3" and above. Bring them in, RS for a year, then set them loose."

How tall is Stencel? Would fall into that category? He's definitely quicker than most guys he wrestled are 220."

Ethan, thats the profile college coaches want. Even tall 195's with frame.

Stencel highly rated recruit, that why Borrelli snatched him up early, he has connections with Oregon Clay coach Cubberly

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 23, 2016

Pondered.

Kyle Snyder has an offense that works against anyone in the world. His ankle pick attack is that excellent. He reminds me of Cael, Burroughs and John Smith. Opponents know their attack is coming, but it is hell to stop.

Gwiz did a nice job of scoring off Kyle shots, but was unprepared to ride or play the stall game on his feet. His defense and counter attack waivered slightly towards the end of the match. Kyle was able to take advantage of Gwiz's small loss of position and score offensively.

The rules are again in transition and stalling is under the microscope. More definitive rules are needed to objectify stalling and eliminate ways to skirt the rules.

Tommy was always attacking but was caught in conundrum of risking position for reward. He did not have the dynamic attack that could score in the first period of wrestling against excellent wrestlers that maintained position. He had to engage the wait game as shooting underneath those big guys like Lockhart or Mocco could result in an easy takedown.

Something interesting to ponder as well is IF Tommy had been able to develop the same ankle pick as Snyder early in his career then he may have won a world championship/Olympic games.(a real possibility if a coach had said early (6/7th grade) that this is the offense you are going to develop and be great at and work on it nonstop for the next five years)

Hence, the skills you engage and develop are even more important than the training you embrace.

Optimally, the training you engage is an adjunct to the skills you use.

► Add to the Discussion