Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Thanks from a senior's dad
Dan Harris added to this discussion on March 3, 2016

My youngest son, Jack will be starting his 4th try at a state title today. I decided to try to document some of the people that have helped along the way. I hope this isn’t too cliché.

His older brother Sam led the way with two 4th place finishes at State, the first was after losing in round 1 and wrestling back. Sam was a training partner growing up and has been helping with technique the last 2 years.

Dave Reese helped, starting in youth and still texts with guidance/encouragement. Barn Boyz at Mechanicsburg with Brady Hiatt who always helped with technique over the years, later worked out at Cameron Dogget open mats.

Outside training started with Jordan camps and Sunday nights, then competition with Elliot Lewis’s Team Ohio in 6th grade, Jr. High tournament teams with Mike Mattin and Michael Zucker, as well as Graham.

Found Nate Carr in high school, got exposed to Freestyle with a wide open style and competition locally and on Cadet Dual team and at Fargo. The Ohio coaches that help with this are too numerous to list.

Eric Burnett allowed Jack to go there and train in the summer. Aaron Perez in the fall.

Got a lot of good workouts with Mafia above a little factory in Springfield the last couple of years with Dan Decarlo and Mario Gutierrez. Dan put together great dual teams for Disney and other tournaments.

Worked out at Prodigy via Ted Bray and Willie Wineburg. Trained with Butch Hildebrand.

Was able to work out at open mats at Dayton Christion, Dayton Fairmont, Vandalia Butler, Delaware, Upper Arlington, Hilliard, Olentangy Liberty and others I’ve forgotten.

Trained at Marysville every year before State. Kevin Christman was a big help this year.

High School coach Ryan Pine and past assistant Chad Lensman encouraged Jack to seek out the best training and competition and did their best to support all his efforts, as well as Urbana’s athletic department.

It’s been a fun ride. Thanks to all. Sorry for those I’ve left out, there are just too many.

Dan Harris

Last edited by Dan Harris on March 3, 2016; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 3, 2016

Good luck

Jason Russell added to this discussion on March 3, 2016

Dan, I wrestled sam a few times back when I was a senior and he was a freshman. He wrestled hard and developed into a fine wrestler. Last season when I was coaching at Heidelberg, he came up and visited some friends a few times. He was very fun to be around and a respectful young man. Congrats on your families success and having fun during the journey!

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 3, 2016

Reading this made me realize that I went through the same feelings exactly 25 years ago. Hard to believe how fast those years went by.
Best of luck to all. It is quite a ride for everyone.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 3, 2016

Such a nice post. Great to read about how many people opened their doors to your son and assisted on his path. It says a lot about you and your sons that you've taken the time to acknowledge.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 3, 2016

Solid.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 4, 2016

Hoping he gets that title. Was always a joy to have him in the room!!

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on March 4, 2016

Wrestling is the greatest sport on earth not because of a state champion ( most won't achieve) but the pursuit of becoming a champion is what makes it special.. All the great individuals you come across that help mold you into the person you become. After your career is over you find new challenges and pursue new greatness.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on March 4, 2016

http://www.jakeswrestling.com/pdfs/d2-195.pdf

Jack Harris is in the semifinals.

Kavan Sarver of SPG lost in the quarters. Jack Harris beat Sarver by two points at Districts.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on March 5, 2016

Jack Harris is in the D2 195 finals today vs Tony Banister of Wauseon.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on March 5, 2016

After finishing 5th as a freshman, 2nd as a sophomore and 2nd as a junior, senior Jack Harris beats Tony Banister 3-0 to claim his 1st state title. Congrats!

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on March 5, 2016

As I was sitting there watching the finals tonight my 13 year old says to me "Hey, dad, Jack Harris is coming up next!" That's when it dawned on me that your son is one of my son's childhood wrestling heroes. He's watched him in the room at Prodigy for sometime now and I think it has helped to mold my kid's future dreams and goals to be around your kid. I'm glad he's chosen such a fine young man to look up to. Congrats on that elusive title, Dad!

Brian Grimm added to this discussion on March 5, 2016

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to seeing your son wrestle for KSU.

Sean Koran added to this discussion on March 5, 2016

Congrats!

Luke Moore added to this discussion on March 5, 2016

Congratulations Mr. Harris. That last takedown was AWESOME!!!

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next