Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: A couple Ohio U. notes
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 7, 2016

OU beat Old Dominion today 25-13. The highlight was freshman Shakur Laney beating Brandon Jeske, a 2X national qualifier.

OU is now 10-3 on the season. One of the losses, at CMU, was on tie breaker criteria.

This was also the last home meet for Chino, Walters, Romanchik, and Wellington. Those four have combined for 10 trips to the nationals and hundreds of wins for the program. Between the four they won 2 state titles in HS, one each for Chino and Walters. To say OU maximized their talents would be accurate.

OU is starting true freshmen Laney at 25 and Cameron Kelly at 33.

My count has Laney at 20-8 and getting better all the time. What a find for OU.

Kelly is a rising star. Unofficially I have Kelly at 20-5 and riding a 7 match win streak. Of his 5 losses, he has avenged two of them. Kelly is ranked 14 by InterMat and 11 by Flo.

Another freshman starter and graduate of the Hiatt school of wrestling is 165 Austin Reese, who I believe is 17-8 and will have himself in the NCAA discussion.

I also ran across an interesting/fun article about Phil Wellington, who apparently is a skateboarder in his spare time!

http://woub.org/2016/01/15/rachels-package/

What a career Phil has had at Ohio, has been a great competitor and almost never missed a competition.

Any way - just a quick OU update.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 7, 2016

OU and Kent are both top 25 and among the better dual teams in the country. CSU has shown improvement as well. Nice year for D1 wresting in Ohio.

Brian Grimm added to this discussion on February 7, 2016

That's a very strong trio of youngsters for OU. From a Kent State perspective, I've enjoyed watching your 4 seniors but will be happy to see them graduate from a KSU perspective. Are you going to the MAC tourney?

Brian - don't plan to, I'm in Naperville IL so don't make it to many meets, unless they wrestle in Dekalb.

Kent with Conel and Tutolo have a very dynamic freshmen group of their own.

Wanted to add re: the four seniors, they have represented the program very well off the mat as well. Walters was the OU scholar athlete last week and Chino graduated in 4 years and is now completing his MBA. These kids get it.

Brian Grimm added to this discussion on February 7, 2016

I'm thinking of going, but may not because I'm definitely going to NYC for Nationals. Sparkman is another KSU freshman to watch for. He's substituted for Miller on occasion and has significant potential.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 7, 2016

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"My count has Laney at 20-8 and getting better all the time. What a find for OU.

Kelly is a rising star. Unofficially I have Kelly at 20-5 and riding a 7 match win streak. Of his 5 losses, he has avenged two of them. Kelly is ranked 14 by InterMat and 11 by Flo.

Another freshman starter and graduate of the Hiatt school of wrestling is 165 Austin Reese, who I believe is 17-8 and will have himself in the NCAA discussion."

Three guys to build around over next three years.

► Add to the Discussion