Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Coaches Hand Signals during a match
Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on February 4, 2016

I was wondering whether some college and high school coaches have an extensive set of hand signals that they use matside during a match to provide information and guidance to the wrestler. I would imagine that every coach uses simple ones like "cut him", "defer", "take down" but when I was watching Illinois wrestle Penn State it appeared that coach Mark Perry had more hand signals than the Cleveland Indian's third base coach.

Is he an exception among coaches or is there a big book of wrestling coaches hand signals that every coach and wrestler knows? Personally, when I was wrestling I was totally oblivious to what might have been going on off the mat so if a coach was giving me any sort of guidance, verbal or otherwise, I never even noticed it. I went in to something like a dream like state out on the mat in front of a crowd.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 4, 2016

"Milkavich used hand singals in order to cummunicate to his wrestlers." - someone once said this on the #DotNet

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 4, 2016

I recall Coach DiSalvo being particularly cunning with some Carroll High School wrestlers back in the day in that he used military style call signs for technique that were completely enigmatic to anyone who was not training on that team, in that room.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on February 4, 2016

Bruce:
I don't recall much by way of hand signals, at least back in the day.
But I do recall some code words - e.g., "Boom Zoom!," which was what my coach/dad used to shout when he thought we were in danger of getting hit for stalling.
This worked real well - that is, until the refs started to hit us for stalling just about each and every time he yelled it.
Most refs ain't dummies. :-)

Dan Strope added to this discussion on February 4, 2016

Legendary North Allegheny coach Gus DeAugustino used to have different whistles and pitches for instruction. Maybe whistles is a bad description because it never seemed to interrupt the match but they were definitive catcalls that he effortlessly sang out.

► Add to the Discussion