Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State's 149 lbs
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 3, 2016

Quote from Mike Stann's post:

"James, I'm not so sure they are different. Myles and Kyle had a plan. Myles wanted to redshirt and Kyle wanted an Olympic redshirt at least that's what I seemed to read everywhere. The plan was obviously changed. Maybe not spur of the moment like Hank but it was changed. I loved the plan with kyle redshirting because I thought it sent the right message to other wrestlers who wrestle for Tom or those considering coming. As much as it pains me to say after watching Hunter wrestle I don't know why they changed especially with Myles. One need only look at Penn St. last year. We might (I said might) not have raised the trophy had they changed their plan to redshirt Zain, Nico, Nolf and Nickals. But they stuck to their plan and look how it has paid off this year and probably next. Last I don't read the remarks on this subject as being disparaging to Tom. Everyone makes mistakes and i think we are just having a discussion about whether this is one or not. We won't really know until all the results are in will we?"

The difference is in Hank case (I could be wrong) he made the decision to bump the kids and didn't talk to the team or their parents of kids involved before making the decision. If he did and the kid or parents says no I don't want to do that then would he have made the same decision. My point is yes there was a plan in place and Coach Ryan sat down with all involved and they came to a decision as a group. There is no way to force Kyle or Myles into wrestling.

Maybe we wouldn't have won last year with those guys wrestling but the same could be said for PSU the year before. If they allow Zain to RS they don't beat the OSU for the title so was Cael putting his goals above the individuals?

This discussion is why this site is the best because you couldn't have this discussion on say Yappi without some anonymous poster posting things they would never say with their real name associated with it.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 3, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

" Now...I was a hypocrite.

I think that it's more important to keep your word than to win. I think you win the larger battle when you do so."

serious words Hank-- u don't mention Ryan but u r clearly accusing him by implication ...do u KNOW Ryan didnt keep his word?? unless u know it for sure i think your accusation off base.

if u do know it for sure then tell us that u do.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 3, 2016

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I think you put Jordan where he has the best chance to win. That is my philosophy. I'm not a very good coach though, so I could be totally wrong."

Made me laugh.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on February 3, 2016

"Now...I was a hypocrite.

I think that it's more important to keep your word than to win. I think you win the larger battle when you do so."

So, you think Tom Ryan made a quick, rash decision without talking to anybody first? And he's not a man of his word?

I just don't get these kinds of statements. Have you listened to Kyle's interview about the decision? Did you read the posts from Myle's dad? It's like you are choosing to ignore the facts we do have and instead choose to believe Ryan forced this decision upon them.

Arguing the merits of the decision is fine. Having different opinions about what the end result will be is fine. But ignoring the facts we do have and making assumptions that put into question someone's character is irresponsible.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 3, 2016

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"...What I don't understand is why some of the commentary seems to be bleeding into a personal disparagement of Tom Ryan, including references to putting his goals as a head coach above the individual..."

As I read this, I starting wondering if my comments were the ones that you felt were "personal". If so, that was certainly not my intent. I've never met Coach Ryan, but everything I have ever read about him shows him to be a man of character. He says all the right things in interviews and I enjoyed watching him when he competed. Furthermore, I think he has done things at tOSU that very few people couple have done. I think ALMOST ALL of the decisions he has made have been good ones for the Buckeye team and it's individuals wrestlers.

I read and post on a forum filled with voices I respect. I disagree with the moves Coach Ryan has made this season. It seemed like a good place to discuss.

For those that think pulling Myle's and Kyle's redshirts are not in their best interest:

First, I have no issue with it. It's a valid opinion. But I would like to add that it's not just Tom Ryan that isn't doing what's best for them, it's also the coaching staff, the wrestlers themselves, as well as their fathers.........because all were involved in the decision.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 3, 2016

Is this the 1950's? Am I accused of being a communist?

I'm not going to justify the accusations.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on February 3, 2016

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"
So, you think Tom Ryan made a quick, rash decision without talking to anybody first? And he's not a man of his word?

I just don't get these kinds of statements. Have you listened to Kyle's interview about the decision? Did you read the posts from Myle's dad? It's like you are choosing to ignore the facts we do have and instead choose to believe Ryan forced this decision upon them.

Arguing the merits of the decision is fine. Having different opinions about what the end result will be is fine. But ignoring the facts we do have and making assumptions that put into question someone's character is irresponsible."

Alex, If I missed any facts, let me know.

Facts: TR discusses things with parents regarding redshirting.
Facts: KS plan was to take 2015-2016 Olympic redshirt.
Facts: Mr. Greg Martin discussed with TR his thoughts on redshirting Myles.
Facts: KS & Myles were redshirting the 2015-2016 season.
Facts: TR investigated how get KS in the lineup this year.
Facts: TR went to the Kyle Synder's family to discuss the new plans which included Myles.
Facts: TR went to Greg Martin after having Synder on board with new plan.
Facts: The parents took a leap of faith on new plan.
Unknown: How will this all play out in March.

I know that Myles verbally came out of redshirt first but based on Kyles interview, it appears to me that the timing seemed like a calculated decision.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 3, 2016

"For those that think pulling Myle's and Kyle's redshirts are not in their best interest:

First, I have no issue with it. It's a valid opinion. But I would like to add that it's not just Tom Ryan that isn't doing what's best for them, it's also the coaching staff, the wrestlers themselves, as well as their fathers.........because all were involved in the decision."

Regardless of who was involved or consulted or played a roll in the decision making process...Coach Ryan is the Head Coach, it's his call. That doesn't make him evil, or even wrong (opinions obviously vary)...but it's his team, his call. Without his OK, it doesn't happen. I thought I read a Snyder interview where he said it was all Coach Ryan's idea? Regardless, spreading the blame across the staff and the parents and the wrestlers doesn't lessen the blow.

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"
Facts: TR went to the Kyle Synder's family to discuss the new plans which included Myles.
"

Discussing Myle's redshirt with Snyder's family is not a fact that I've heard.
I don't recall Greg saying that Kyle's decision factored into theirs.
I don't recall hearing or reading anywhere that their parents were just taking a leap of faith, as opposed to having an educated discussion and coming to their own decision.

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

"For those that think pulling Myle's and Kyle's redshirts are not in their best interest:

First, I have no issue with it. It's a valid opinion. But I would like to add that it's not just Tom Ryan that isn't doing what's best for them, it's also the coaching staff, the wrestlers themselves, as well as their fathers.........because all were involved in the decision."

Regardless of who was involved or consulted or played a roll in the decision making process...Coach Ryan is the Head Coach, it's his call. That doesn't make him evil, or even wrong (opinions obviously vary)...but it's his team, his call. Without his OK, it doesn't happen. I thought I read a Snyder interview where he said it was all Coach Ryan's idea? Regardless, spreading the blame across the staff and the parents and the wrestlers doesn't lessen the blow."

It also doesn't happen without the consent of the parents\wrestlers\olypmic coaches. Again, all fine. All of them will have made a mistake.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 3, 2016

"Is this the 1950's? Am I accused of being a communist?

I'm not going to justify the accusations."

Now you sound like one of the local sports radio guys that just throws stuff out there to get a reaction.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 3, 2016

"Let's be honest--it's a mess. Hunter's back but appears to be severely limited by his surgeries (and he may have been hurt in the dual w/Indiana) Cody Burcher has disappeared from sight. Mike Hozan is tiny. If you're Ohio State, what do you do for the last two BT duals--PSU and Wiscy--plus National Duals?

1) Hunter--if healthy--goes. End of discussion.
2) Burcher gets another opportunity assuming he's eligible and healthy.
3) Move Micah to this weight and put Hayes in the lineup. While I think this would be a very shortsighted move, it is similar to what the Bucks did to strengthen to 165 and 174 spots...just later in the season.
4) Disguise Logan and have him take the mat under the name of someone else.
5) Other ideas?"

What's up, guys!? Just asking a few questions here.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on February 3, 2016

"

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"
"

Discussing Myle's redshirt with Snyder's family is not a fact that I've heard.
I don't recall Greg saying that Kyle's decision factored into theirs.
I don't recall hearing or reading anywhere that their parents were just taking a leap of faith, as opposed to having an educated discussion and coming to their own decision."

Your right, the parents didn't come out say that occured. You don't think that TR discussed with the parents about getting the other on board in order to win a national championship this season, really.

You don't like leap of faith, fine, let's go with they believed in TR's new plan and decided move forward. I'm not going to go with educated decision only because no one knew how Hunter would perform. We all hope for the best and he still has time but at this very moment, it's not very promising.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 3, 2016

"Is this the 1950's? Am I accused of being a communist?

I'm not going to justify the accusations."

your the guy who made accusations Hank, if well founded tell us why they are, if not then your off base, imo

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next