Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State's 149 lbs
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 2, 2016

Well, Justin, that is why the Cleveland Browns still have fans....and I'm one of them.

Very funny post.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on February 2, 2016

Quote from Doug Brandt's post:

"No one is forcing anyone out of redshirt. Decisions are based on an agreement between coaches, parents and student/athletes. Isn't that what Gregory Martin said on a previous thread?

There is no reason to stop believing this team can again win the National Title. Sure, Penn State seems unbelievably tough, but how many times have you seen the balance change in a heartbeat in this sport?

We have our team. Let's go."

Every situation is different. Greg also posted numerous times that he wanted his son to redshirt. Obviously Tom Ryan sold MyMar/family and KS/family on the ideal coming out of redshirt status in order to win a national championship because it wasn't either one of their ideal/plan to do so.

I'm not saying that TR focus was more on the team or individual. I just think pulling them out of redshirt wasn't the best decision for the team. He shouldn't feel offended just because some of us have different opinions.

At the end of the day, TR is paid to win national championships for tOSU and the wrestling program. He made the decision to adjust his plan, present the plan to the family & go after a 2016 national championship. Time will tell rather or not it was a good decision.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 2, 2016

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"There's a 4th Camp occupied by Niemann, Shep Diggity Dog, and myself, by which we believe the top teams falter and tOSU perseveres, snatching victory through a very tight window of opportunity. Our camp can offer no linear reasoning for why this would happen, yet believe, because we want to.

Ahhhhhhhhhaaaaaaa!

"In a spectacular twist of sovereignty as unforeseen circumstances played out in late February, the anticipated front running teams faltered going into the NCAAs.

They possessed neither the manpower (injuries, legal woes, and personal struggles) nor firepower (their stars underperformed) to hedge the Ohio State Buckeyes, who maximized every last team point opportunity, working like men whose children were at home starving.

Coach Ryan was overheard exhorting his tribe on Day One, 'When going through Hell... keep marching!' On Day Three, they repeated as NCAA Wrestling Champions."

#Repeat.

Let it be written, let it be so. :)"

That is all.

(But Dwight sums it up perfectly.)

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 2, 2016

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"

Quote from Doug Brandt's post:

"No one is forcing anyone out of redshirt. Decisions are based on an agreement between coaches, parents and student/athletes. Isn't that what Gregory Martin said on a previous thread?

There is no reason to stop believing this team can again win the National Title. Sure, Penn State seems unbelievably tough, but how many times have you seen the balance change in a heartbeat in this sport?

We have our team. Let's go."

Every situation is different. Greg also posted numerous times that he wanted his son to redshirt. Obviously Tom Ryan sold MyMar/family and KS/family on the ideal coming out of redshirt status in order to win a national championship because it wasn't either one of their ideal/plan to do so.

I'm not saying that TR focus was more on the team or individual. I just think pulling them out of redshirt wasn't the best decision for the team. He shouldn't feel offended just because some of us have different opinions.

At the end of the day, TR is paid to win national championships for tOSU and the wrestling program. He made the decision to adjust his plan, present the plan to the family & go after a 2016 national championship. Time will tell rather or not it was a good decision."

Walking a thin line occupationally, "Dwight from State Farm"...keep it up and you'll lose your gig as TR's "Body Man". Jus' Sayin'.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on February 2, 2016

"Walking a thin line occupationally, "Dwight from State Farm"...keep it up and you'll lose your gig as TR's "Body Man". Jus' Sayin'."

I may be the only (occasional) poster on here who doesn't have a clue who "Dwight LeRoy" is.
But a # of you infer that this is a pseudonym, as opposed to his real name.
Assuming that's the case, doesn't this run diametrically counter to what many of you tout is the best thing about this site - that is, that you have to attach your real name to your post?

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on February 2, 2016

"
Walking a thin line occupationally, "Dwight from State Farm"...keep it up and you'll lose your gig as TR's "Body Man". Jus' Sayin'."

Occupationally speaking, I'm good so I can afford to lose the "Dwight from State Farm" gig. Justin, you can be promoted to "Justin from State Farm", sounds right, no?

Casey: Deight stated that he will be posting on the "Wrestler's Anonymous" thread soon. Hopefully sooner than later, but, as we saw with Mr. Greg Martin, perhaps it's better he stay slightly anonymous...for now.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 2, 2016

If Tom Ryan had said something like this...

"Myles Martin looks amazing on a daily basis in our wrestling room. He's too good to keep in redshirt when we have a huge hole in our lineup. I'm going to insert him at 174 and put Bo at 165 in order to make us a much stronger dual team. Part of my job is to perform well in the Big Ten so this is a necessary adjustment. We also believe that ultimately this will help us at NCAA's. In addition, we're having Kyle Snyder come out of redshirt to wrestle a few key events and the NCAA tourney. Kyle is a world champion and a potential Olympic medalist. At any point in his career, he could decide no longer to compete in Folk so we want to use him while we have him. These moves will make us a more viable title contender and a stronger dual squad. We are also hoping that Hunter will be able to eventually compete at a high level once he comes back. Our fingers are crossed regarding his ability to do so. We are hopeful."

I would not have entirely agreed with his premise---but I'd have better understood it. Unfortunately, Coach Ryan talked about one thing--repeating as champs. And so these moves came across as designed to win an NCAA title at all costs regardless of what was best for Bo, Myles and Kyle.
He also made it sound as if Hunter Stieber could potentially come back at a high level. Hunter, sadly, looks too debilitated to perform anywhere close to his pre-injury ability.

That's the problem--the message. I get the idea behind putting your best team on the mat.

Mark Niemann typed: Big dual this Friday night in Happy Valley. PSU is a game squad and that venue will be electric. Hopefully we can get on them early in order to silence the crowd.

Almost positive it's live on tBTN...7pm?????/

Found it. 6p start time for tBTN. Tune in.

Last edited by Mark Niemann on February 2, 2016; edited 1 time in total

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on February 2, 2016

I love the Bucks. I also think Tom Ryan is a fantastic coach. The MyMar, Snyder, Stieber elements, IMO, are good for wrestling.

In wrestling, why don't we view pulling out the stops to win as a good thing?

Braxton Miller moves to H Back...everyone trumpets the greatness of his sacrifice.

Marcus Allen moves to fullback to make room for Bo Jackson at HIS spot, tailback. Tecmo Bowl greatness ensues.

Scotty Pippen.

Jim Thome.

Steve Young.

The only team that puts the team before the individual, consistently, has been Iowa...and that is ironic because they compete fiercely as individuals.

I think Coach Ryan is mimicking that Iowa approach, and I believe he is doing it rightfully so. At the end of the day, being part of a great team...putting your best foot on the line...is something that matters as you get older.

On a much smaller, much less talented level, I will go to West HS alumni night this Thursday, where the 2006 League Champ team will be honored. We won a league title after 68 years drought. On that team we had kids out of weight class, wrestling with torn labrums, personal tragedy...all those things that suck and shape you. Without those sacrifices, it doesn't happen...but because it did, those kids have it forever. It bonds them.

I like it. Even if it doesn't work out, I like it.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on February 2, 2016

I've always been very supportive of the move to go after the title this year. If that means pulling redshirts and moving the lineup, so be it. Opportunities to win a team title are few, so it is important to seize the chance when it comes along.
Here is the prerequisite for making the moves this year, in my opinion. Your starting seniors have to make an impact at the National tournament. If they don't, it would be better to save eligibility for another year. To me, this plan always hinged on Hunter being able to go at a high level and JDJ, Mark Martin and Courts scoring points at Nationals.
None of these appear to be the case, unfortunately.
While it is certainly reasonable to have expected JDJ, Martin and Courts to be having more success than they are, I can't understand why the team had confidence in Hunter's health. There is no way the Hunter we have seen this year is crushing dudes in the room.

Dan Strope added to this discussion on February 2, 2016

These lineup moves effect several individuals but none more than Bo. Bojo's dropping to 165 brings Ringer and cousin Isaac into his title path. A tall order compared to the path to a title at 174. I wonder if the team would finish third or even second and Bo is anything less than an NCAA champ if the moves were worth it? Sacrificing an individual national title for a 3rd place team trophy seems harsh.

Quote from Dan Strope's post:

"These lineup moves effect several individuals but none more than Bo. Bojo's dropping to 165 brings Ringer and cousin Isaac into his title path. A tall order compared to the path to a title at 174. I wonder if the team would finish third or even second and Bo is anything less than an NCAA champ if the moves were worth it? Sacrificing an individual national title for a 3rd place team trophy seems harsh."

Everything I've read or heard has Bo initiating the move to 165. Almost as if he's only thinking of himself with laser like focus on a 165 championship.

"But why not go 174, Bo?"

"I'm going 165."

"But..."

"I said 'I'm going 165.'"

"Okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy."

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on February 2, 2016

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

"There's a 4th Camp occupied by Niemann, Shep Diggity Dog, and myself, by which we believe the top teams falter and tOSU perseveres, snatching victory through a very tight window of opportunity. Our camp can offer no linear reasoning for why this would happen, yet believe, because we want to.

Ahhhhhhhhhaaaaaaa!

"In a spectacular twist of sovereignty as unforeseen circumstances played out in late February, the anticipated front running teams faltered going into the NCAAs.

They possessed neither the manpower (injuries, legal woes, and personal struggles) nor firepower (their stars underperformed) to hedge the Ohio State Buckeyes, who maximized every last team point opportunity, working like men whose children were at home starving.

Coach Ryan was overheard exhorting his tribe on Day One, 'When going through Hell... keep marching!' On Day Three, they repeated as NCAA Wrestling Champions."

#Repeat.

Let it be written, let it be so. :)"

That is all. "

...and on Day 4, Columbus celebrated in triumph as the Buckeyes returned from the promised land hoisting the coveted hardware! Amen. :)

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 2, 2016

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Everything I've read or heard has Bo initiating the move to 165. Almost as if he's only thinking of himself with laser like focus on a 165 championship.

"But why not go 174, Bo?"

"I'm going 165."

"But..."

"I said 'I'm going 165.'"

"Okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.""

I'm hearing a very different story...but regardless, even if that was his overall attitude, sometimes you have to save a kid from himself. I believe Bo Jordan is a strong favorite at 174. I believe he is a heavy underdog at 165. 3X champs are rare. I think you put Jordan where he has the best chance to win. That is my philosophy. I'm not a very good coach though, so I could be totally wrong.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next