Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: College Wrestlers: 5 Questions
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 31, 2016

As I've alluded to in other posts, the dot.net family has broadened my perspective and given me a much stronger interest in NCAA wrestling. Heck, I even gave in, bought a television, got Time Warner, AND a DVR, primarily so I could watch college matches (which has been awesome).

From the outside looking in, as it relates to commitment/effort, being a college wrestler (of any caliber) has always appeared to me like someone breaking concrete in the morning, going to school all day, then pouring concrete in the evening.

What is it like to wrestle collegiately?

College/Weight

1) At what point/how did you know you wanted to/could wrestle collegiately?

2) What was the hardest thing you ever did as a college wrestler?

3) What was your greatest achievement/satisfaction (whatever metric you'd like to use)?

4) If you could do it all over again, what would you do differently?

5) What is it that fans/spectators (especially us professional forum opinionators) who have never wrestled collegiately don't understand about college wrestling? (I'm STILL sorry, Kenny.)

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brandon Gambucci added to this discussion on February 1, 2016

What's it like to wrestle collegiately?

It's a roller coaster. Nothing gives more truth to having a "love-hate" relationship with something. Couldn't have imagined my life without college wrestling though.

Duke University

1). I would say placing at the state tournament my sophomore year of high school. I had a rather bleak start to wrestling (something like 0-24 over 4 years), once I had gotten to that level and I knew I could/would keep improving and had found the passion of my life; there's no way I wasn't going to keep wrestling through college.

2). I cut an obscene amount of weight my RS sophomore year of college; trying to balance that day to day along with the struggles of academia is something I am glad I NEVER have to do again.

3). There was a point after my RS Soph year that I had been consistently beating and competing with the top ranked guys at my weight; I was a pretty happy camper when I jumped into the top 10 for a short while and truly believed I would win a national title in the coming years.

Looking back though, my greatest satisfactions definitely come from helping out my teammates and spending those years with people who'll be my best friends for the rest of my life.

4). Honestly, nothing at all. I've learned from everything I've done and couldn't be happier with how everything ended up!

5). I'd have to say injuries and "the grind." Injuries can so very quickly derail a wrestling career. Man, the amount of college wrestlers I know (myself included) that struggled with injuries is too high to count.

Also, as far as "the grind" goes, can we please please please cut the college season in half, or down to, like a third...

All in all though, college wrestling gave me some of the best (and worst) memories of my life and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 1, 2016

Quote from Brandon Gambucci's post:

"4). Honestly, nothing at all. I've learned from everything I've done and couldn't be happier with how everything ended up!
"

Good stuff; it is particular blessing to leave an endeavor satisfied in this way.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 1, 2016

Quote from Brandon Gambucci's post:

"...
Looking back though, my greatest satisfactions definitely come from helping out my teammates and spending those years with people who'll be my best friends for the rest of my life.
..."

Man. That's a great line. The whole thing wad awesome and I thank you for sharing. But that line is the one that made stop.

Again...thanks for sharing.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on February 1, 2016

College/Weight: University of Dayton/134-150

I knew I had the ability based on how I did against tough kids, and I also knew I was very young (started college at 17), so I figured my curve was steep. I knew I "had to" after I choked in my senior post-season after an outstanding regular season.

I made 134 lbs my freshman year when I came in as a 150. I was still growing, getting my ass kicked everyday in the room and trying to adjust to college. I wanted to make the team and that was the spot. 24 hour weigh-ins were the only saving grace...after making it, I couldn't have wrestled immediately if you would have put a gun to my head. It was absolutely horrible.

3) What was your greatest achievement/satisfaction (whatever metric you'd like to use)?

I finished a win short of nationals as a senior. Nothing special (I got majored), but I maxxed out my talent and felt no regrets. I had finally moved up in weight to 150 (at my coach's urging) and finished around 18-10.

Yes. I have permanent damage to parts of my body, but hung in there for four years...that's important to me. My closest friends from college aren't my teammates, BUT those teammates are the guys who have seen me at my darkest, and that counts for something. It shaped me tremendously.

5) What is it that fans/spectators (especially us professional forum opinionators) who have never wrestled collegiately don't understand about college wrestling? (I'm STILL sorry, Kenny.)

Every single practice feels like you've been in a fist-fight.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 1, 2016

Quote from Brian Nicola's post:

"Every single practice feels like you've been in a fist-fight."

I suspected as much...

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 2, 2016

Hiatt?

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on February 3, 2016

Ashland University/ 157

I knew early in HS that was the plan. I had some let downs at state throughout my career (DNP,DNP,3rd), but AA'ing in Fargo solidified that I wanted to compete in college.

Mentally it would be Assimilating to the lifestyle. It really isn't for everyone, and as it has been said a million times, it is a job. Morning workout, classes, practice, classes, then another workout or weight loss. It can break guys quickly.

Physically, my junior year we came back from summer brake and the first week back we went on a 5AM run in a torrential downpour. We ran a couple miles and ended up at the football stadium. Once we got there we started running stadium stairs, by the end we were walking up the stairs on our hands, carrying partners up the stairs, and any other idea our coach could come up with. If that wasn't hard enough the stairs were metal, so you were terrified the whole time you were going to slip and kill yourself. The worst part may have been the realization once it was done, that you had a couple mile run back to campus and you had to get showered and ready for class an hour or so later.

I was an NCAA qualifier my junior year. I lost in the conso semis, which made me think my season was over, but I went out and beat a kid who had beaten me earlier in the year for 5th. I ended up getting to wrestle for true 4th and won the match, earning my way to the national tournament.

I tore my peck and the labrum in my shoulder my senior year a couple weeks into practice. I could have gotten surgery and taken the redshirt and came back for another year, but at that point I was done. I could have graduated half way through that year if I wanted, and by that time the grind had taken it's toll. I ended up missing a majority of the year and coming back right before regionals. I ended up a match short of getting back to the national tournament after making it as a junior.

Everyone who wrestles in college was a good wrestler in high school. It takes more than just being a good wrestler to wrestle in college, you have to be able to handle the mental grind that comes with it. You will see some of the most touted kids disappear after a year (or less), and the reality is wrestling wise they probably could cut it but mentally they couldn't. While you only get to see the wrestling side of their lives, remember they are still college students dealing with all the struggles that a normal college kid goes through, but with the added weight of wrestling on top of it.

Shawn Andrews added to this discussion on February 3, 2016

College/Weight
Kent State University 197/285

My dad wrestled in college, I had wrestled since I was little I just always thought I would. In retrospect I would have been better suited at a D2/D3 level but like a lot of kids I thought I had to be Division 1.

I don't know if this is the hardest thing I did but it is my most vivid memory as a freshman. In HS I hit a pretty good boot scoot off an elbow tie. I remember going to practice and wrestling our 285 Stephan Terabenic (sp) I went in to tie up thinking I was going to get an elbow tie and hit my boot scoot. When I went to tie up my hands wouldn't fit across the back of his tricep!!! I immediately knew I was in for a long college career. Like many freshman it was about 2 months before I felt like I scored a legitimate takedown in a live go.

To be honest I really didn't have that much success, My Junior year I had the opportunity to wrestle in the MAC tournament at Northern Illinois, I went 1-2 but that one win was something I carried with me for a long time. I never really got back in the line up after that.

I would do it again without a doubt, I think if I did anything differently I would have managed my weight differently. I came in as a 190, went up to 285 at the request of the coach, went back down to 197 the following year. I would have stayed at 190 tried to get down to 177 bc I really wasn't big enough for those weights. For a moment I gave pause and thought about if I would have gone to a smaller school knowing what I know now but it is hard to think that way because I loved my time at KSU. Met my wife there, made amazing friendships.

That sometimes the best guys in the room aren't the best guys in matches, that everyday is a battle. I wrestled with amazing guys who were capable of being All-Americans. We through that around sometimes like it is a forgone conclusion, and to be top 8 is truly harder than anyone who hasn't wrestled can imagine.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 3, 2016

Nicola, Bradberry, Andrews: thanks. Great insight.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 3, 2016

Man, I love this thread; I find the answers to question #5 particularly compelling.

Would love to hear from more, especially some of you Ol' Skool college wrestlers...

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on February 3, 2016

Yes, as Mark said, thank you for the responses. Great thread.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 3, 2016

Tommy, Rex, Tony J, Johnstone, Mitch Clark, J Jaggers, Kirk Nail, and possibly a few others I'm forgetting. All have posted at least once in the past 10 years.

Spill it!

Forgot Luke Moore.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 4, 2016

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Tommy, Rex, Tony J, Johnstone, Mitch Clark, J Jaggers, Kirk Nail, and possibly a few others I'm forgetting. All have posted at least once in the past 10 years.

Spill it!

Forgot Luke Moore."

I think there are a ton of college wrestlers lurking here on the dot.net -of obscurity, notoriety, and everything in between- whom we'd love to read your perspective.

OWNit!

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 4, 2016

Maybe a dumb question, but a genuine one:

Is there a carte blanche "excused absence" from class anytime you are at competition?

► Add to the Discussion