Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State vs Indiana 1/29/16
Doug Brandt added to this discussion on January 29, 2016

Following these sites:

http://iuhoosiers.com/sports/2015/12/3/WREST_1203152614.aspx

https://twitter.com/wrestlingbucks?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

125: Tomasello wins 17-5 over Elijah Oliver (OSU 4 Ind 0)

133: DiJulius wins 7-0 over Alonzo Shepherd (OSU 7 Ind 0)

141: Micah Jordan wins by inj default over Cole Weaver. Concussion time for Weaver preceding. (OSU 13 Ind 0)

149: Blanton defeats H Stieber by dec. Was 5-2 with 40 sec left. (OSU 13 Ind 3)

157: Justin Kresevic vs Jake Danishek. Kresevic 5-2 at end of the 1st. 7-4, end of second. 7-7 with a minute left. Danishek with takedown with 20 sec. He leads 9-8. Danishek wins. (OSU 13 Ind 6)

165: Bo Jordan vs Bryce Martin. Jordan 6-3. Takedown plus stall point: Jordan 9-3. 9-4, end of 2nd. 13-4. Jordan wins, 14-5. (OSU 17 Ind 6)

174: #15 Myles Martin vs #8 Nate Jackson. Martin td; Jackson escape. 2-1. 2nd td by Martin reversed by official review. Still 2-1 Martin at end of 1st. 2nd: Martin escape; 3-1. Escape Jackson; Jackson td; Martin escape; Martin td. 6-4 Martin with 0:42 left. Myles Martin wins, 6-5! (OSU 20 Ind 6)

184: Kenny Courts vs Wyatt Wilson. Two td and 4 nearfall: 8-1 Courts. 8-2, end of 1st. 12-4, end of 2nd. 15-5; 0:33 left. Kenny with major, 19-6. (OSU 24 Ind 6)

197: Josh Fox vs Jake Masengale. Masengale beat Fox 5-2 at EMU Open. 1st period ends 0-0. 2nd period: Massengale escapes, leads 1-0. TD Massengale. Leads 3-0 going into 3rd. Stall point to Fox. 3-1 Massengale. Massengale wins. (OSU 24 Ind 9)

Heavyweight: Nick Tavanello vs Garret Goldman (coach Duane Goldman's son. Duane was a 4 time NCAA finalist; finally won his senior year.) 0-0 end of 1st. Goldman down to start 2nd. Goldman escape; Tavanello td. 2-1 Tavanello at end of 2nd. Tav escapes 3-1. Tav has guaranteed riding time. Tav td. 5-1. Goldman escapes; 5-2. 0:21 left. Tav td; with riding, 8-2 final. (OSU 27 Ind 9)

Last edited by Doug Brandt on January 29, 2016; edited 29 times in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason Fair added to this discussion on January 29, 2016

Was it just me, or did Hunter seem to be favoring that right elbow?

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on January 29, 2016

Quote from Jason Fair's post:

"Was it just me, or did Hunter seem to be favoring that right elbow?"

Looked like he tweaked his hamstring when he had his leg high a couple times. Also looked like he is still working on getting his upper body strength back.

Really nice win for Myles Martin!!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 29, 2016

Myles Martin with a great win. He could finish anywhere from dnp to NCAA champ.

Jason Fair added to this discussion on January 29, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Myles Martin with a great win. He could finish anywhere from dnp to NCAA champ."

174 is wide-open. Myles certainly seems capable of placing high come March.

Jason: I agree.

As for Hunter, it just seems he has no power in his elbows.

Kresevic wrestled a really good match. He just didn't close it.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on January 29, 2016

Nice job Tavanello!

Quote from Rick Wasmer's post:

"Nice job Tavanello!"

Yep. He looked fresh and motivated. I was also pleased with Courts. Not a great opponent but his effort level and conditioning looked much improved.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on January 29, 2016

"

"Myles Martin with a great win. He could finish anywhere from dnp to NCAA champ."

174 is wide-open. Myles certainly seems capable of placing high come March."

Myles is usually a lot more active from the neutral position. He seemed reserved during this match. I hope he gets back on his offense because if had done that during this match, the match would've been close.

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"

"

Myles is usually a lot more active from the neutral position. He seemed reserved during this match. I hope he gets back on his offense because if had done that during this match, the match would've been close."

Dwight: I have a lot of respect for your knowledge but I disagree. I think Myles knew what to expect from Jackson as they had wrestled previously and that dictated his strategy. The only big mistake Myles made was not being a bit sharper at the end of the first period. If he gets that TD and rides out, the match is all but over.

John Ice added to this discussion on January 29, 2016

Please come back Mark Martin!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 29, 2016

Anxious to see how much Myles will move up in rankings after this victory.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on January 29, 2016

"

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"

"

Myles is usually a lot more active from the neutral position. He seemed reserved during this match. I hope he gets back on his offense because if had done that during this match, the match would've been close."

Dwight: I have a lot of respect for your knowledge but I disagree. I think Myles knew what to expect from Jackson as they had wrestled previously and that dictated his strategy. The only big mistake Myles made was not being a bit sharper at the end of the first period. If he gets that TD and rides out, the match is all but over."

Hank, I appreciate your opinion but you just said exactly what I said. More aggressive from the neutral position, regardless of the period. Do you strategize, yes but you still wrestle your match. The one thing that everyone on this board said about Myles is how they love his aggressive from neutral position.

When he wrestled Bo Nickals, he was passive until the last period and he had to score and gave Bo all he wanted. I've seen Myles wrestle enough to know that when he gets his aggressive offense going from the neutral position, he's hard to beat.

I did a mistype, "the match would've been close", should've been "the match would NOT have been close".

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 30, 2016

The Buckeyes looked good last night. Guys were sharp and dominated for the most part. I'm still not crazy about Bo at 165 as he's just not mauling guys from top like he was last season (or at 174) and JDJ has to do more on bottom than lunge forward off the whistle with his head down. But those are minor complaints and pale in comparison to the overall effort I saw up and down the lineup. Tav and Courts in particular did a great job of remaining aggressive as did the whole lineup in general. This team seems to be moving in the right direction since the debacle against Michigan. It will be interesting to see if they're able to give a similar effort on Sunday. Not easy to keep your weight down for a full three days on a road trip.

Now for the sad news--Hunter Stieber. Let's face it--he's not "there" and it doesn't look like it's gonna change. Maybe if he had a full year to rehab. But it's January 30th and he just lost to a guy who walked on at IU...and it wasn't close. Some of you will be ticked at me for even saying this but the lineup would be stronger with Cody Burcher (who seems to have been banished from the lineup). Ultimately, Hunter and the staff need to decide what to do. If there's any chance of him getting a lot better, I'd be for leaving him in. But so far there's no indication that it's going to happen. Hunter is hardly the first standout wrestler to have his career hampered by injury (see Roger Kish, Troy Letters, Mike Pucillo, Jesse Delgado, Matt McDonough, Troy Nickerson just to name the first half dozen that come to mind). It always sucks when it happens and I hope he can somehow find that "next gear." But right now, it doesn't look good.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 30, 2016

"Now for the sad news--Hunter Stieber. Let's face it--he's not "there" and it doesn't look like it's gonna change. Maybe if he had a full year to rehab. But it's January 30th and he just lost to a guy who walked on at IU...and it wasn't close. Some of you will be ticked at me for even saying this but the lineup would be stronger with Cody Burcher (who seems to have been banished from the lineup). Ultimately, Hunter and the staff need to decide what to do. If there's any chance of him getting a lot better, I'd be for leaving him in. But so far there's no indication that it's going to happen. Hunter is hardly the first standout wrestler to have his career hampered by injury (see Roger Kish, Troy Letters, Mike Pucillo, Jesse Delgado, Matt McDonough, Troy Nickerson just to name the first half dozen that come to mind). It always sucks when it happens and I hope he can somehow find that "next gear." But right now, it doesn't look good."

Hard to read, but doesn't change what appears to be true. (These type of posts are why you are the SAC.)

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next