Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Discussion Topic: Ohio state next year
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 28, 2016

from a source: Nickal could bulk to 184 (with his height, definitely as easy as Quentin Wright did, who then finished up winning at 197), which could leave Hall at 174 if he is available.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 28, 2016

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"If BJordan and MyMar end up going up a weight class, BJordan vs BNickal will be a fun match to watch."

It would seem that BoJo would harpoon him positionally at some juncture when Nickal rolled the dice. Shrug.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on March 28, 2016

I've already been called an "as s clown" today by some buffoon over on themat.com for stating (correctly) that IMar AND his coach had stated that he planned to drop to 65kg/143 lbs for this Olympic cycle.

So, with risk of incurring even more interweb anger, has the possibility even been broached/discussed/bandied about for Nick Tavanello to drop to 197 and compete? I know he's probably 250, but he's not super tall. It would require an enormous body change and probably be a ridiculous cut, but MAYBE it's on the table. Suppose he gets to 225/230 fairly easy, then another 10 of hard dieting. Now, he's 15 over, hanging around 215. That's striking distance.

If I'm Tav...and if Snyder is coming back for sure...I at least consider this horrific cut. He's been close, I'd love to see him grab an AA.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 29, 2016

Do we know, if when Snyder comes back next year, is he going to be bouncing back and forth to FS tournaments during the season like he did this year? if so, Tav would see lots of action. Even if his Olympic dream doesn't happen, it sounds like he still would compete for World Titles.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 29, 2016

I don't think Tav makes the cut. Tried this with Rick Burlenski back in '94. Burlenski was a legitimate AA contender. He beat Billy Pierce from Minne at the end of the year in a dual.

Hellickson wanted to insert Fickell into the line up at 285, thus a plan was born. Anyway, long story short, Fickell was struggling to balance football, academics and wrestling. Wrestling was third in the list of priorities. Burlenski was on his way down in weight and kept going. He started off at around 235.

I was sitting with him in the sauna at Big Tens prior to weigh ins. Got within 1.5 as I recall. Not quite. He bumped back up to heavyweight and Will Knight wrestled at 190.

The only way Tav gets to 190 is working with a nutritionist and accounting for every meal and every pound. Try juggling that while performing at wrestling and going to school.

It could happen but chances are unlikely.

Brian, you are no Arizona clown ;)

Our line up was
177 Nick Nutter
190 Will Knight
285 Rick Burlenski

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 29, 2016

I went to a CSU v Ohio State match the year before Will went 190 at Big Tens. Will wrestled Dan Carcelli at 134 pounds.

Will was 3rd at Big Tens at 167 as a senior. His appropriate weight class would have been 158 but he couldn't beat out Eric Smith.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 29, 2016

Brian: Themat.com can be a nasty place. A lot of arrogance there.

While I understand Rex's points, I do think the idea of Tav making the cut has been discussed.

Problem is that Snyder's career may continue for the next few years in a similar fashion to this season. If that's the case, the Bucks will need a solid heavy to compete when he's unavailable. Tav could conceivably wrestle 20 matches at 285 while Snyder is competing in training/competing in freestyle events.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on March 29, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Brian: Themat.com can be a nasty place. A lot of arrogance there."

My issue with it over on themat.com was that I WAS ACTUALLY CORRECT! IMar was/is planning to go 65kg.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on March 29, 2016

Personally, I'd love to see Tav get lean and mean and make that cut. He's not a big bodied guy at all and I think he's got the quickness to be super effective at the weight if he spends the entire offseason working his way down and staying on top of his nutrition and fitness. Admittedly it would be a monumental task. But he's put in his time and shown his commitment to the team. I'd love to see him be rewarded with his best shot at an AA before he leaves the program.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 29, 2016

side story-

I was there for the final wrestle off between Eric and Will. Will threw his headgear against the wall after losing, bounced off and hit trainer Vince O'Brien in the face and cut his chin. Vince was so mad that stormed out of the room.

Kind of funny at the time and in retrospect. One of those did you see that moments.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on March 29, 2016

Quote from Brian Nicola's post:

"

My issue with it over on themat.com was that I WAS ACTUALLY CORRECT! IMar was/is planning to go 65kg."

Some poster don't see the interviews and give their personal opinions without knowing the facts. Imar also mentioned that he's most likely moving up to 165# next year which should make it interesting, IJordan vs IMar.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 29, 2016

"

"

My issue with it over on themat.com was that I WAS ACTUALLY CORRECT! IMar was/is planning to go 65kg."

Some poster don't see the interviews and give their personal opinions without knowing the facts. Imar also mentioned that he's most likely moving up to 165# next year which should make it interesting, IJordan vs IMar."

Isaac looks like he cuts his fair share of weight, too. Maybe he moves up as well?

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on March 29, 2016

"

"

Some poster don't see the interviews and give their personal opinions without knowing the facts. Imar also mentioned that he's most likely moving up to 165# next year which should make it interesting, IJordan vs IMar."

Bo has been IMar's kryptonite in the past. With the general feeling Bo is making the move upward it doesn't surprise me IMar is moving on up now.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5