Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: OSU remaining ranked wrestlers
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 26, 2016

Remaining ranked wrestles for the Bucks against IN, Purdue, PSU and assuming they wrestle Lehigh in National Duals.

#4 Megaludis-PSU
#14 Cruz - Lehigh
#19 Oliver- IN

Already beat #3-#9-#11-#12

#5 Conaway-PSU
#7 Taylor- WI

Already beat #6-#14

#14 Guilbon -PSU
#18 Cruz- Lehigh

Already beat #9-#10-#20

#1 Zain - PSU

#1 Nolf-PSU
#10 Minotti- Lehigh

Already beat #19

#3 Jordan
#7 Welch- Purdue
#16 Preisch-Lehigh

Already beat #5-#6

#1 Nickal-PSU
#8 Jackson- IN

Already beat #8-#16

#9 PSU

#1 Mac-PSU
#16 Lehigh

#14 Lehigh

Last edited by Jim Kessen on January 26, 2016; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 26, 2016

If you're the Bucks....do you have Hunter wrestle against PSU?

Sean Koran added to this discussion on January 26, 2016

If they win at least two of three at 125/133/141, then yes. Otherwise, no.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on January 26, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"If you're the Bucks....do you have Hunter wrestle against PSU?"

Absolutely not. Zain Retherford wrestles a lot like Logan Stieber and hence Hunter basically gets a feel for what it would be like to wrestle Zain every day when he drills with Logan. He will learn nothing from wrestling Retherford in the dual meet.

On the other hand, Hunter has a unique style which Zain is not familiar with. The more he gets to wrestle Hunter the better off he will be. I think Hunter should be given more time to strengthen his arms and shake off the rust before having to wrestle Retherford.

Last edited by Bruce Andrews on January 26, 2016; edited 1 time in total

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on January 26, 2016

Quote from Bruce Andrews's post:

"

Absolutely not. Zain Retherford wrestles a lot like Logan Stieber and hence Hunter basically gets a feel for what it would be like to wrestle Zain every day when he drills with Logan. He will learn nothing from wrestling Retherford in the dual meet.

On the other hand, Hunter has a unique style which Zain is not familiar with. The more he gets to wrestle Hunter the better off he will be. I think Hunter should be given more time to strengthen his arms and shake of the rust before having to wrestle Retherford."

Zain wrestles nothing like Logan Stieber from the neutral position. Zain is much more aggressive, heavy handed and takes countless shots. Hunter needs to wrestle the match and tOSU needs to put their best lineup on the mat and win the dual.

Zain is more aggressive from neutral than Logan was? Logan was like watching an old western--shoot first and ask questions later.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on January 26, 2016

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"

Quote from Bruce Andrews's post:

"

On the other hand, Hunter has a unique style which Zain is not familiar with. The more he gets to wrestle Hunter the better off he will be. I think Hunter should be given more time to strengthen his arms and shake of the rust before having to wrestle Retherford."

Zain wrestles nothing like Logan Stieber from the neutral position. Zain is much more aggressive, heavy handed and takes countless shots. Hunter needs to wrestle the match and tOSU needs to put their best lineup on the mat and win the dual."

I get that as a fan I want to see the best wrestlers and the best matchups. If winning duals was how we viewed success at the NCAA level then I am all with you. But winning duals does not fill seats nor define success. How you do at the B1Gs and more so at the NCAAs is the measure of success. So I want my coach to maximize his wrestler's chances of success at the tourney. If that means sitting him to rest a minor injury or to protect a seed or whatever then that is the way to go IMO.

I do everything possible to give Hunter his best shot for post season success. Probably smart not to wrestle him against Retherford until he has to. Also have to consider having him ff matches at Big Ten tourney that he doesn't have to wrestle.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on January 26, 2016

Hank, I feel Hunter needs to get as many live matches as possible before the intensity of the Big Ten's and National Tournament.

Quote from Chris Thomas's post:

"Hank, I feel Hunter needs to get as many live matches as possible before the intensity of the Big Ten's and National Tournament."

You may be right. I'm guessing as to what's best but the truth is I don't know. That's why I posed the question.

If you put your best lineup out on the mat, face the toughest competition and win duals, the B1Gs & NCAA Championship will follow. Winning duals do fill the seats, impresses future potential recruits and etc. No one wants to attend a dual when 30% of starters aren't wrestling.

The coach should be preparing their student athletes to compete even with a minor injury. There are a lot of athletes who compete with injuries. Teaching them to dodge competition and protect seeds is ridiculous. That doesn't build character and make them better men, that teaches them to avoid challenges except when backed into a corner.

tOSU vs PSU, all hands on deck and #WT3.

JMO

Dwight--understand and respect your perspective. But Hunter Stieber is a senior trying to come back from two significant surgeries. His career is probably over this March. Not sure you handle him the same as most other wrestlers on squad.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on January 26, 2016

Dwight I totally get where you are coming from. As a wrestler I was the same way. But I think at this level a coach needs to marshall his resources. I just feel the NCAAs are as tough as it gets. You need your kids to have as much as an advantage as possible. Each situation is different as is each wrestler. If resting an injury won't improve it then you need to learn to wrestle with it. However it was my personal experience that wrestling through an injury just gave me a season ending injury. If wrestling a major foe will give your kid confidence or a game plan for the big match then do it. I just don't think there is any right way in all situations and the coach is paid to make those calls. We all talk about certain coaches having their wrestlers ready for the tournament. It takes planning, brains as well as toughness imo to achieve your goals.

Mike,

I do understand that every situation is different. You're 110% correct, NCAA is as tough as it gets and there are teams that aren't completely healthy but they still put the best lineup on the mat. I completely agree with you on resting an injury comment. Your personal experience molded your opinion and I was blessed with the opposite type of experience.

It also takes some luck having student athletes ready for the tournament.

I don't think that anyone's opinion is right or wrong. I subscribe to the old school mentality. With that being said, if you can compete in the room, then you can compete under the lights.

► Add to the Discussion