Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Discussion Topic: Nolf (PSU) vs. IMar (ILL)
Doug Brandt added to this discussion on January 27, 2016

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"

Quote from Doug Brandt's post:

" My friend Dan McCrone, who ran for Ignatius, and who I later ran with frequently when we both worked at OSU Hospitals, was 139th. Dan still has the 2 mile record at Ignatius. "

I haven't heard Dan McCrone's name in years. The two of us went to the University of Cincinnati. I was "okay" as a runner while he was 2nd in the state as a 2 miler. The thing I remember most clearly is that we were doing hill repeats in (I think) Burnett Woods. It was on a hill going up to our left. I was working pretty darned hard when Dan came from behind and just walked away from me. It was like he had at least one gear more than I did. That was in late '69 and I remember it like it was yesterday. It was the beginning of realizing that there were a lot of runners better than me."

I'll give him a call. I'm sure he'd really enjoy talking to you. You can send your contact info to my email address:

dougbrandt@hotmail.com

My first encounter with Dan:

I was out on a training run with a friend Ed, who was a doc at Ohio State. (I was in the admin side of things.)

Also along for this training run was another doc- a guy with a slight beer gut. I thought that this guy would have trouble keeping up with Ed and I. Soon, Ed and this other guy were ahead of me, and I had to fight to re-establish contact. (Hot day, too.) Soon after I got back to them, this guy announced that he had to get back to the hospital, and he took off like a rocket and disappeared into the horizon.

"Who is that guy?" I asked Ed.

"Dan McCrone. He ran an 8:38 two-mile back in college days."

I'll add that Dan made me a better runner, and I was never very fast. My best 5k was 17:46. Miss those mid-day runs with Dan and Ed.

This would have been in the late '70's/early '80's.

Jim, where are you from?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on January 27, 2016

"Here's an excellent interview of Dave Wottle from 2010:

http://oh.milesplit.com/articles/37682/an-interview-with-dave-wottle

Here's the 1969 NCAA Cross Country results:

https://www.trackandfieldnews.com/images/stories/NCAA_XC_PDFs/1969-men.pdf

Pre was 3rd. He won the other three years he competed (red shirt in '72.)

Wottle's teammate Sid Sink was 12th. Wottle was 30th. My friend Dan McCrone, who ran for Ignatius, and who I later ran with frequently when we both worked at OSU Hospitals, was 139th. Dan still has the 2 mile record at Ignatius.

You can find the other years by changing the "1969" to "1970", etc. in the address. Lots of well known names.

This has strayed from the original post, so I'll conclude here. :)"

Great interview!

Steve Lester added to this discussion on January 27, 2016

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"

" My friend Dan McCrone, who ran for Ignatius, and who I later ran with frequently when we both worked at OSU Hospitals, was 139th. Dan still has the 2 mile record at Ignatius. "

I haven't heard Dan McCrone's name in years. The two of us went to the University of Cincinnati. I was "okay" as a runner while he was 2nd in the state as a 2 miler. The thing I remember most clearly is that we were doing hill repeats in (I think) Burnett Woods. It was on a hill going up to our left. I was working pretty darned hard when Dan came from behind and just walked away from me. It was like he had at least one gear more than I did. That was in late '69 and I remember it like it was yesterday. It was the beginning of realizing that there were a lot of runners better than me."

Bringing back memories! I think Dan McCrone won the cross country district I competed in.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on January 27, 2016

"

Jim, where are you from?"

Doug,
I am from, and still live in, Painesville.
I would highly doubt that Dan would remember me at all. He was a star and I wasn't.
So as not to derail this train, I will write you at your email address with some other stuff.
Jim

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5