Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Nolf (PSU) vs. IMar (ILL)
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 23, 2016

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"Brunson didn't even try to avoid the pin."

Completed deflated at the end. In good position to score but wilted.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 23, 2016

Don't know the details but I am convinced Imar is the better wrestler. Nevertheless, it's IMAR's first loss.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 23, 2016

How can Koepke be a Senior with an Undecided major...

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on January 23, 2016

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"How can Koepke be a Senior with an Undecided major..."

Or Gulibon a junior with Undergrad Studies?

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on January 23, 2016

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"How can Koepke be a Senior with an Undecided major..."

I think my son was trying that route until I found out.
Is there such a thing as a tenured student?

William Danforth added to this discussion on January 23, 2016

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"

Is there such a thing as a tenured student?"

I represented that remark. My dad says after four year of college you get dumber.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 23, 2016

By the way....PSU is really tough. Bucks can test them but they'll need to show up ready to go on the road in front of a sell out crowd.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 24, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Don't know the details but I am convinced Imar is the better wrestler. Nevertheless, it's IMAR's first loss."

Go back to same time last year -- before IMar wrestled James Green, Ian Miller, or Dylan Ness. Not many were convinced IMar was the better wrestler because of past results. They were swayed by present results.

Watch the match. Only past results could "convince" you because nothing in that match could.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on January 24, 2016

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Don't know the details but I am convinced Imar is the better wrestler. Nevertheless, it's IMAR's first loss."

Go back to same time last year -- before IMar wrestled James Green, Ian Miller, or Dylan Ness. Not many were convinced IMar was the better wrestler because of past results. They were swayed by present results.

Watch the match. Only past results could "convince" you because nothing in that match could."

Agreed - it wasn't close. The announcer said it best = Nolf beat him in every phase of the match.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 24, 2016

True. Bottom line--Nolf won.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 24, 2016

Retherford and Nolf look like terminators. Brutal pace and willing to answer any position that is engaged. Nothing else matters beyond being the best collegiate wrestler and winning that title. Awesome display of everything that matters.

Someone mentioned Imar as talking about deep water and the podcast about getting his weight down to 157 while in season for the Olympic trials. That is kind of a jump the shark moment. He got crushed under the weight of his own expectation.

Kind of like Colt running a marathon and cutting to 157.

First off, if you start using the analogy of deep water, it just means that you are relying on your conditioning to test someone else's resolve. Well, some one is going to match if you want to play that game. Marianetti v McIlravy, 3rd go around, not the first.

I am not bashing, I've done it myself late into my career (as my dad reminded me the other day.)

If you rely entirely on pace to win, you will eventually be served a big piece of humble pie. Also, if he is messing with his calories and talking about going into deep waters. He is going to friggin' bonk, which he did yesterday.

It is easy to mistake what makes you successful with other variables at play (even for an undefeated NCAA champ)

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 24, 2016

Imar boasted of his ability to intimidate-- its not good to be selling wolf-tickets, theres always someone willing & able to answer that challenge-- true in every aspect of life.

and Nolf has "Hips for Hell", reminds me of former Okla St Shane Roller, these guys are soooo hard to wrestle-- they are like a gyroscope, their hips, flexibility and scrambling ability give them opportunity for gaining superior position no matter the situation.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 25, 2016

Bob-

I love high level wrestling match ups as they give so much insight into our sport that is ambiguous and confusing.

Way beyond interesting. I went back and watched the match to draw more hypotheses and see how they stacked up against my objective belief system.

Also, I'm pretty fired up as I started a class in physiology this past week and I could not understand the lab instructor as I spent much of my energy trying to decode what she was saying (her English is not good to my ear)rather than reflect on ideas presented. Basically, a colossal waste of my time.

Same thing goes on in wrestling with coaching and watching wrestling. People watch the same thing and draw different conclusions.

Only after much review, understanding and getting after the truth do you uncover the variables that matter.

Intimidation works on newbs, people of lesser skill, and of an uncertain mindset.

Intimidation tactics when articulated, thus serve the primary purpose of attacking an opponent to get inside of their head and make them think about what you are saying and consequently influence their pattern of thought. That or showmanship/promoting ala Connor McGregor.

It is that exact reason why Nolf gives zero crap when IMar says he is going to take his opponents into to deep water. Rather, he might take it as an insult and turn it around to his favor and use it as motivation to say, <expletive> you.

The only thing that matters in wrestling is that you engage positions that you can win and contest those positions for seven minutes and longer. If you can, you win. If you don't, you lose.

One is signal, while intimidation is largely noise. I have spent a lifetime listening to noise and like to dispel it whenever I get the opportunity.

On the matter of hellish hips. Dylan Ness had ferocious positions, which relied on his hipping ability. He got owned by IMar. Ness owned Green. Somewhere in there is where I think the seed of IMar cutting to 145 and making the Olympic team was born.

Not an equal translation.

Green can make 145 without a substantial loss of strength. Proven fact. IMar can cut to 145 without loss of strength. Unproven.

IMar may have been sick or on too few calories as he was breathing heavy after the first exchange. Bottom line, his energy level was low and respiratory pattern was disrupted. Fact. Nolf challenged from the onset for the first takedown and earned it and fought for every position thereafter. In all of IMars collegiate matches, no one has contested position like that before on him. Typically, he has clean explosive finishes. Nolf has a totally different skillset than Ness. Ness does not expend energy or have the same skills as Nolf. Fact. Although, they have some of the same physical attributes.

Anyway, there are a lot of things going on there and I cant wait until they meet again at the Big 10s.

Reed Vetovitz added to this discussion on January 25, 2016

IMar seemed to think he could overpower Nolf like he does everyone else and was at full throttle offense from the opening whistle. Nolf didn't wilt under the pressure, kept IMar at full throttle, and IMar ran out of gas. IMar seems to subscribe to the Steve Prefontaine philosophy that, "The only good pace is suicide pace, and today's a good day to die." It isn't always successful, but it's very brave and damn fun to watch. I'm guessing the next time they wrestle, IMar will pick his spots and use his energy more efficiently.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 25, 2016

Hey, Niemann...

Is this Reed V. fella on the Introductions thread?

He used a Pre quote with some quality insights so he must be good people. :)

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next