Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: tOSU v Michigan St @Walsh Jesuit: January 24,2016
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 21, 2016

Gasca at 141 is dangerous. The rest of the MSU team is not very good.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason Russell added to this discussion on January 24, 2016

is there anywhere to watch this online?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 24, 2016

JDJ should have been the last match of the dual. Wrestling needs to adapt its rules on starting weights.

Lack of promoter thoughts.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 24, 2016

Was unable to attend match due to another commitment. Curious as to how Hunter looked. Anyone want to offer observations?

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 24, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Was unable to attend match due to another commitment. Curious as to how Hunter looked. Anyone want to offer observations?"

Ditto.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on January 24, 2016

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"

"Was unable to attend match due to another commitment. Curious as to how Hunter looked. Anyone want to offer observations?"

Ditto."

Triple that.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on January 24, 2016

Scoring.
1st Period
HS T2, OP E1, HS T2, OP E1, HS T2

2nd Period
OP Defer, HS Bottom, HS E1, HS T2, OP E1, HS T2

3rd Period
OP BOT, OP E1, HS T2, OP E1, HS RO1

Hunter was able to score hitting low and regular double leg shots. He also scored on a low single. He didn't try to turn his opponent.

Hunter wrestled the same style today as he did against Pantaleo. The difference is that Richards defense isn't on the same level as Pantaleo. I wouldn't put to much stock in this match except to say that it's nice to see HS competing again.

Curt Heinrichs added to this discussion on January 25, 2016

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"
Hunter wrestled the same style today as he did against Pantaleo. The difference is that Richards defense isn't on the same level as Pantaleo. I wouldn't put to much stock in this match except to say that it's nice to see HS competing again."

I couldn't agree more. I spoke with my dad after leaving Walsh Jesuit and mentioned it's like watching Ohio State's football team beat up on a MAC school early in the season. Yeah, it was impressive, but it's not the caliber of competition you'll face when the chips are down.

The Buckeyes looked tough yesterday. Hendricks was in for a dinged up Micah against a tough Gasca and got decked in 20 seconds. Fox put up a great fight against Cooper at 197 (Mark Martin still dealing with effects of a blow to the head, I'm told).

Here's my question about 197: Fox was close to picking a leg in the first period, but it eventually went 0-0. Fox then rode tough all through the 2nd period and had 2 min of riding time.

At this point, why not take neutral to start the 3rd? He'll have 2 min of riding time built up and was close on some leg attacks. If it goes scoreless in the third, he wins a 1-0 decision?

Obviously, hindsight is 20/20 and you'd like to think your guy can get out from the bottom in 2 minutes. Fox was ridden out for 2 minutes and was taken down shortly into sudden victory.

What are the dotnet thoughts?

Curt Heinrichs added to this discussion on January 25, 2016

Also, I was very impressed with Myles Martin. Relentless when attacking the legs and that duck under was outstanding. Hit it from a great distance and Shadaia never knew what hit him.

Can't say enough about Tav's performance. Kid's got a tough pill to swallow with Snyder taking his starting spot when he's in the country. Regardless, Tav goes out and puts on a show against an overmatched Renfroe. Tav with a late takedown and 4 nf and he gets the major to end the dual. Good stuff. Tough kid. Big heart.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 25, 2016

Curt: You make a great point. Bucks staff much too quick to choose down. They make this mistake a lot.

However, the coaching blunder of the weekend goes to Nebraska. Tyler Berger was tied with Edwin Cooper after getting a TD with 28 seconds to go. He needed a ride out to send match into OT. No guarantee he rides for 28 seconds but most solid D1 wrestlers have a plan for shaving time off clock. Instead, the Neb coaches told Berger to cut him and try to get one more TD. He didn't want to do it...you could tell...but he listened to his coaches and then lost when Cooper danced and hand fought to close out the match. He didn't come close to scoring. Very poor decision by the coaches (or so I thought from my cheap seats).

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on January 25, 2016

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post: "Hunter wrestled the same style today as he did against Pantaleo. The difference is that Richards defense isn't on the same level as Pantaleo. I wouldn't put to much stock in this match except to say that it's nice to see HS competing again."

Conversely, you shouldn't put too much stock in his loss to Pantaleo, since that was his very first match back, against a pretty darn good kid. Right?

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 25, 2016

Quote from Casey Talbott's post:

"...Conversely, you shouldn't put too much stock in his loss to Pantaleo, since that was his very first match back, against a pretty darn good kid. Right?"

I read his post totally opposite. Stieber wrestled the same way with different results. Stieber was the same, the opponent was different. This current incarnation of Hunter Stieber will likely beat the bad/average wrestlers and lose to the good/great ones.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on January 25, 2016

^^^But don't you think it's possible that "the current incarnation" of HS may improve?
I don't think it's fair/right (or very smart) to cap his potential ceiling based upon his very first match back. He wrestled a very good kid fairly close. And I would wager that he was a bit tentative, and that his timing/conditioning, etc. were not as good as they're going to be.
Maybe he'll compete with/beat certain of the top guys; maybe he won't.
But I know that I for one will be rooting for him.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 25, 2016

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

Quote from Casey Talbott's post:

"...Conversely, you shouldn't put too much stock in his loss to Pantaleo, since that was his very first match back, against a pretty darn good kid. Right?"

I read his post totally opposite. Stieber wrestled the same way with different results. Stieber was the same, the opponent was different. This current incarnation of Hunter Stieber will likely beat the bad/average wrestlers and lose to the good/great ones."

Of course you read it that way

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 25, 2016

Hunter looked rusty against Pantaleo. My sense is he needs to get his timing back as well as test his elbows. That's why I wondered how he looked against MSU. Answers seems to indicate he looked about the same but was able to score.

Pantaleo is obviously a tougher opponent than the MSU kid. I'd reserve "very good" for guys like Mayes and Sorenson but that's a quibble.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next