Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: tOSU @ PSU (State College) 2/5/2016
Matt Schein added to this discussion on February 5, 2016

Quote from Chris Thomas's post:

"I don't think Myles gave him the takedown; he is learning how to compete on the fly. We will see what happens come March."

Well said.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on February 5, 2016

Match basically went as expected.

Great win for Nato. Good to see Micah win.

And I thought Myles wrestled well, and smart. Was in it right to the last 30 sec.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on February 5, 2016

If JDJ and Myles reverse the outcome we win the dual. Overall a good effort in a hostile environment. NATO is a very special kid and a treat to watch. The only negative I take from the dual is KC didn't wake up for the bright lights. How can you be undefeated against an opponent in a big match and wrestle so defensive? Tonight's dual really didn't provide any surprises. I only wonder if a healthy Hunter and Martin might of made the difference? Anyway it was an exciting dual and great crowd!

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 5, 2016

Thought Martin wrestled very well, he was clearly worried about a big move and that cost him.

OSU chose down and was ridden out 3 times. No Bueno.

Sense of urgency is a cliche I don't like to use, so maybe I'll say that PSU wrestled a much faster pace and took more risks. They're very good, the new standard of excellence.

I don't know why hooking/figure-fouring an angle on top isn't stalling but it should be. PSU did that at several weights with zero move to score and never got dinged. That is the same as dropping to a leg; should be counted off.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on February 5, 2016

We had our team over for the dual (and a euchre tourney which I am competing in the finals at practice tomorrow in!!!), and I said the same thing as Ethan. Sitting over top of an ankle is blatant stalling. There are literally zero turns you can do from there.

Also, JDJ was stalling, but a guy with a figure 4 on top and the bottom man flat on bottom should not be considered stalling on bottom. What is the defensive wrestler supposed to do in that situation?

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on February 5, 2016

I thought JDJ and the Bucks got hosed when he was dinged for stalling the first time. The refs decided to stop the match when he clearly was about to add some serious back points to the score. When refs decide to get Involved in matches where the athletes are evenly matched it can influence the outcome.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 6, 2016

One man's miniscule experience:

Last year I go to my first B1G.

I end up sitting in the Hawkeye section; the PSU section was to my right.

I assumed that the Hawkeyes would be the most belligerent section, however, I heard things repeatedly bellowed from the PSU section (primarily toward the Hawkeye section) that not only would make a sailor blush, but were vicious at times.

All that preface to post this:

Lots of fan pressure was picked up on the mics in that arena tonight on the telecast. I thought tOSU wrestlers handled it fairly well.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on February 6, 2016

I will reiterate what Justin said. It was awesome to see a dual put on so well with high production and very well attended,but I thought the PSU fans were down right belligerent and rude. As someone else mentioned it was a hostile environment. No one made any personal attacks on me, in fact I was treated pretty well, but they had no respect for our athletes. They were so biased it made them look ignorant. Either their bias doesn't allow them to see the match for what it is, or they don't understand the sport. I don't think this is the case in Columbus.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 6, 2016

As a positive aside:

Everything about the actual format (mats, set-up, roving overhead spotlight that flashed the PSU wrestler's name on the mat during introduction, crowd size, etc.) was the best I've seen this year.

But I did miss Micah coming out to Awolnation's "SAIL". :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaZMST-vHfM

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on February 6, 2016

The majority of the PSU faithful viewed the NATO vs Nico match as bad officiating. They accused NATO of stalling and the takedown should of been called potentially dangerous due to the way Nico's ankle was angled. If anyone perceived the match in this manner should have their eyes checked. I don't mind being bias in favor of your favorite team but don't make excuses for a loss. I glad to be a Buckeye fan because we're knowledgeable about the sport and recognize greatness when we see it.

Jeff Reid added to this discussion on February 6, 2016

Quote from Brian Morrow's post:

"

"

Quote from Brian Morrow's post:

"Yea but he quit in the 3rd."

What match were you watching? I saw the longest two count for back points and Nickels held his leg in the air for 10 seconds without a count. The true freshman was far from giving up!"

Guess you missed the half hearted attempt at the end when he just gave Bo the takedown. Then just laid there. The rest of the match he showed he belonged."

I think Myles Martin tried and immediately realized it was a mistake to try a headlock on Nickal. I don't think he gave up at all.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 6, 2016

"I thought JDJ and the Bucks got hosed when he was dinged for stalling the first time. The refs decided to stop the match when he clearly was about to add some serious back points to the score. When refs decide to get Involved in matches where the athletes are evenly matched it can influence the outcome."

That ref was, in my opinion, terrible. He wanted to be a part of the event rather than supervise it. His constant comment about getting out of ties was annoying when many of these guys work off them.

The JDJ call was atrocious. Not only was he not hanging on a leg, I think before the 5 count he grabbed an arm which exposed Conaway. What a gift. Not an excuse because he still had 4 minutes and the lead.

There were others but you should never notice or hear a ref so much during a match.

All in all they wrestled hard in a tough place.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 6, 2016

[/quote]I think Myles Martin tried and immediately realized it was a mistake to try a headlock on Nickal. I don't think he gave up at all.[/quote]

Jeff, I thought the same thing, in fact, I thought the headlock attempt was the one "mistake" Myles made during the match, but thought he wrestled hard until the end when it was out of reach.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 6, 2016

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"

"I thought JDJ and the Bucks got hosed when he was dinged for stalling the first time. The refs decided to stop the match when he clearly was about to add some serious back points to the score. When refs decide to get Involved in matches where the athletes are evenly matched it can influence the outcome."

That ref was, in my opinion, terrible. He wanted to be a part of the event rather than supervise it. His constant comment about getting out of ties was annoying when many of these guys work off them.

The JDJ call was atrocious. Not only was he not hanging on a leg, I think before the 5 count he grabbed an arm which exposed Conaway. What a gift. Not an excuse because he still had 4 minutes and the lead.

There were others but you should never notice or hear a ref so much during a match.

All in all they wrestled hard in a tough place."

Roe, I realize that the match was far from over, but that stoppage cost JDJ 4 back points IMO. He had Conaway trapped. He had some momentum going and then the call??? Shades of 2 years ago when they stopped Logan's arm bar against Retherford, the same arm bar he had used many, many times with no stoppage.

Last edited by Jack Muni on February 6, 2016; edited 1 time in total

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 6, 2016

Myles went for the headlock because of circumstances. if he had been awarded 4 backs--not 2--everything changes.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next