Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: KYLE SNYDER IS BACK BABY!!!!!!!
Shawn Andrews added to this discussion on January 5, 2016

It's not my position to question the coaches at tOSU, but it seems like they are chasing lasts years magical run with a lot less certainty. I think someone else on here called it championship fever. I also wonder if this is Kyle S. way of reconciling himself if he doesn't compete for tOSU after this year because of possible medal $. As a fan of wrestling I am excited to see how it all plays out. Definitely opens the door for a great deal of what ifs and armchair quarterbacks.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mike Stann added to this discussion on January 5, 2016

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Tom Ryan is playing poker and there is a huge pot on the table. He's decided to go all in. He's pushed his pile into the pot and the rest of the table has a lot more to consider.

Bucks have improved their hand a lot. Is it a winner?"

I totally agree that that's what's happening, I just don't think it should."

It appears to me only one outcome will make this move a success. If Kyle wins gold then everyone is yappy. Anything short of that will leave TR and tOSU open to heavy criticism. I agree that if coach and dad approach you it is going to be hard to say no. All of us who applauded TR for putting his Wrestler's interest first need to think hard about this. WHat will future recruits who have dreams of gold think if This doesn't work. Very high risk IMO. Is a shot at another championship worth it?

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on January 5, 2016

Quote from Mike Stann's post:

"

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

"Tom Ryan is playing poker and there is a huge pot on the table. He's decided to go all in. He's pushed his pile into the pot and the rest of the table has a lot more to consider.

Bucks have improved their hand a lot. Is it a winner?"

I totally agree that that's what's happening, I just don't think it should."

It appears to me only one outcome will make this move a success. If Kyle wins gold then everyone is yappy. Anything short of that will leave TR and tOSU open to heavy criticism. I agree that if coach and dad approach you it is going to be hard to say no. All of us who applauded TR for putting his Wrestler's interest first need to think hard about this. WHat will future recruits who have dreams of gold think if This doesn't work. Very high risk IMO. Is a shot at another championship worth it?"

Why are we so sure the goals are mutually exclusive? Remember that this likely won't be Kyle's only shot at the Olympics but it could be his last for a team championship.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on January 5, 2016

I'm not seeing the negative to this move like many of you. Perhaps I'm too optimistic by looking at it through Scarlet lenses or maybe some of you are too pessimistic. Either way, the move makes sense to me.

First, is is obvious that Coach Ryan and others think another title is a real possibility. How many times in the past twenty-five years have Ohio State fans been able to honestly say that? My point is these chances don't come around every year so when you honestly believe you can win it all why wouldn't you go all in?

Secondly, It is not like Kyle is pushing his freestyle to the back burner and focusing exclusively on folk. He and his coaches believe he can wrestle the couple of duals and tournaments without hurting his Olympic chances.

If Kyle were not competing in folkstyle for the Bucks what would he be doing? Relaxing at the spa? NO, he would be banging in a room risking injury like every other Olympic hopeful.

Ohio State has a wrestling program for one reason, to compete. The ultimate goal is to win a national championship. Don't lose sight of that. Coach Ryan and others believe by bringing Myles and Kyle out of redshirt they have a legitimate shot at winning another title. These moves make sense. Next year is not guaranteed nor the year after that. The opportunity is right in front of them...now.

Just my two cents. I think it is naive to expect that these opportunities will come along every year. Injury and other circumstances tell me differently.

Gregory Martin added to this discussion on January 5, 2016

Boy you guys are diehards but man this is fun reading As far as Coach Ryan or any other coach for that matter why wouldn't they do their best if they think they are close? Hey the worse thing that happens is it don't work out I'm not God but I can almost guarantee you they all wake up in the morning I've learned you can't plan for tomorrow, the next day or next year for that matter because none of those are promised to you If we win Coach will be considered the greatest but If not at least he won't have to live with what if we did this or did that As for myself I was dead set against Myles competing this year but after gathering more info I think it's probably the right move but none of us have a crystal ball As far as Kyle and his decision being synchronized as someone called it Kyle was a big reason Myles chose tOSU so I'm sure one decision didn't hurt the other but who really cares The decisions are now made let's WRESTLE!

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 5, 2016

Quote from Gregory Martin's post:

"Boy you guys are diehards but man this is fun reading As far as Coach Ryan or any other coach for that matter why wouldn't they do their best if they think they are close? Hey the worse thing that happens is it don't work out I'm not God but I can almost guarantee you they all wake up in the morning I've learned you can't plan for tomorrow, the next day or next year for that matter because none of those are promised to you If we win Coach will be considered the greatest but If not at least he won't have to live with what if we did this or did that As for myself I was dead set against Myles competing this year but after gathering more info I think it's probably the right move but none of us have a crystal ball As far as Kyle and his decision being synchronized as someone called it Kyle was a big reason Myles chose tOSU so I'm sure one decision didn't hurt the other but who really cares The decisions are now made let's WRESTLE!"

Ok, first off, ever since a topic went rouge a couple years ago, I try to be as diplomatic as possible on this board. I want to be clear that I would love to see Martin achieve All American status this year and Snyder run the table all the way to Rio. I'm certainly not rooting against them. Also, this is all just fun forum talk. None of this matters in the long run, and the people it doeas really matter to seem to be all in. That being said...

When you say the worst thing that could happen is it doesn't work out, I feel like that's minimizing the issue. "Not working out" could mean a lot of things. It could mean tOSU not winning a national title. It could be Snyder not winning an NCAA title, or a Gold Medal, or the Olympic Trials. It could be an injury to Snyder. It could be a rough draw for Martin and a 1-2 day at Nationals. Project four years down the road, Martin could be the red-shirt senior captain gunning for that elusive NCAA title...and not have the eligibility to compete.

I get that there's an opportunity in front of them now to win another title, but I feel like the risks are too high, the change of plans is too drastic. It feels desperate.

Coach Ryan and his staff had a plan. They must've believed in it or they wouldn't have implemented it in the first place. They just seem quick to scrap their plans and risk their athletes' futures for a shot at repeating.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on January 5, 2016

Remember when Gable pulled McIlravy out of redshirt and moved Troy Steiner down?

Gable was more interested in what the team could do today, rather than planning for the future. The future can change in a heartbeat.

Does Urban Meyer worry about someone setting personal goals? No, it's about the team.

As to those who worry about Snyder getting injured, he's working out with Tervel on a regular basis. I think he can deal with big guys who are as strong as militias.

Anything is a possibility but let me ask a question What's so guaranteed next year as opposed to this year? If we all had crystal balls nothing would surprise us Nothing I'm a leave you with a interview Myles did back in 2014 but it still holds true today for every wrestler No one will be wrestling forever 😀 As far https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FkKkJjkiWL0

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 5, 2016

Excellent points all around. So, here's another perspective. Cael had Nolf, Nevills, Nickal and Retherford in redshirt last season. Had he brought them out, it would have put them in the title hunt. He chose to stick to his plan.

I think the moves are risky. And I agree with Mike Rodriguez--they're not in the best interest of certain wrestlers. But I'm excited to see how it all plays out.

Yes, it's fun to root for a team in the title hunt. As a Clevelander, I take even greater pleasure in it.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 5, 2016

Quote from Doug Brandt's post:

"Remember when Gable pulled McIlravy out of redshirt and moved Troy Steiner down?

Gable was more interested in what the team could do today, rather than planning for the future. The future can change in a heartbeat.

Does Urban Meyer worry about someone setting personal goals? No, it's about the team.

As to those who worry about Snyder getting injured, he's working out with Tervel on a regular basis. I think he can deal with big guys who are as strong as militias."

Football isn't wrestling, very hard see equivalence between two sports that are so different...Dan Gable is one of the greatest coaches of all time regardless of sport, and I honestly think he was wrong on that one. And for the record, he didn't sacrifice the individual for the team. He sacrificed one individual for another. The team race wasn't in doubt that year. Iowa won by like 30 points. He pushed a senior, defending national champion to 134 to fit in a tru-frosh at 142. The future did change in a heartbeat for Steiner. To this day I think that was the wrong call by the legendary coach.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on January 5, 2016

Well, at a minimum, I certainly think this makes the National Championship title hunt more interesting for all college wrestling fans.

I do have a somewhat off-topic comment. It relates a little bit to the topic being discussed. I have noticed that Ohio State has wrestled a number of back-up wrestlers at duals this season, Matt Davis at 149 being the most recent example. In almost every case the back-up wrestler has been majored or tech-falled. The non starting wrestlers are not "true" backups in that they could not be considered to be effective replacements if a starting wrestler was injured. The Ohio State team is thin in this regard (Heavyweight being a notable exception). Hence, Ohio States title hopes hinge on everyone being healthy. I think other teams, such as Penn State and Iowa, have more margin in that regard.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on January 5, 2016

[/quote]
I think the moves are risky. And I agree with Mike Rodriguez--they're not in the best interest of certain wrestlers. But I'm excited to see how it all plays out.

Yes, it's fun to root for a team in the title hunt. As a Clevelander, I take even greater pleasure in it.[/quote]

Amen to that brother!

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on January 5, 2016

"Excellent points all around. So, here's another perspective. Cael had Nolf, Nevills, Nickal and Retherford in redshirt last season. Had he brought them out, it would have put them in the title hunt. He chose to stick to his plan. "

I think that is the most beautiful part to all of this because it potentially throws a wrench in Cael's plan. :)

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 5, 2016

Quote from Jeff Reid's post:

"HE won World Championship after competing an entire year in college last year. I think he can handle it this year."

I think many are forgetting this fact.

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Quote from Jeff Reid's post:

"HE won World Championship after competing an entire year in college last year. I think he can handle it this year."

I think many are forgetting this fact."

Also forgetting the fact that he gets to sit out entire mini tournament and only wrestles best 2 out of 3

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next