Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: KYLE SNYDER IS BACK BABY!!!!!!!
Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on January 1, 2016

125# NaTo is the man and I expect him to finish top 2.

133#, 184#, 197# we'll need at minimum, 2 out of the 3 to AA. 2 out of the 3 haven't made it to the podium in the last 3 years.

141# Micah Jordan is still maneuvering his way through this weight class and still too early to predict how he'll do at the B1G Championships and NCAAs. We'll know more when he faces Gulibon (who just lost to Lehigh's Cortlandt Schuyler). The month of January doesn't present any top ranked competition so I expect him to go undefeated against MI, NE, MSU & IN.

149# Hunter Stieber is competing in the room. After a couple of dual meets, the rust will be gone and he'll finish his career on the podiums.

157# Jake Ryan, he'll be tested in January, facing at least 3 (IL, NE & MI) ranked opponents. At that point, we'll be able to see where he's at compared to the rest of the field.

165# Bo Jordan is the man and should finish top 2.

174# Myles AAing is going to be tough because he's still a young man competing against mature wrestlers and strength could become an issue.

285 Kyle Synder, I don't know what to think about this move because people have mentioned that he's working out with Trevel for the last couple of years, not the same as wrestling Gwiazdowski, Walz, Coon & etc. I would like to see him wrestle a couple of the top 285 prior to the Big Tens.

I agree with Hank, it's a big risk.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 4, 2016

Ok, I've tried to give this some time to settle in in the hope of me coming around to the same opinion of most of the Buckeye faithful on this site. It just hasn't happened.

I don't see how this is positive for Kyle Snyder. The way this is being played, anything short of an NCAA title, followed by winning the Olympic Trials, winning gold medal in Rio...he'll be wondering if he made the right decision. He's taking an Olympic red-shirt year to have a singular focus on one of the most elusive dreams anyone can have. He's going to stop that, enroll back in school, wrestle a couple exhibitions before Big Tens and NCAAs? He's going to wrestle maybe a dozen matches this year, right? How does that help him become an Olympic champion? And if it doesn't help him, it hurts him.

I know he'll help the team, but that's not his job this year. He's young and a World Champ. I'm sure he thinks he has a ten year window in front of him, and maybe he does...but there's no knowing that. This is his shot at a goal few ever get the opportunity to achieve...injuries, boycotts, a better guy coming up...a lot can happen. I just don't see how he (or his people) haven't stepped in and told him it's OK to be selfish on this one.

Anyway, I don't agree with pulling his Olympic red-shirt.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 4, 2016

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

" I know he'll help the team, but that's not his job this year."

i must differ -- Snyder apparently thinks it is "his job this year" to help the team, he wants to do it, thats what counts-- the guy LOVES his teammates, his coaches, his school. He is following HIS dream.

Jeff Reid added to this discussion on January 4, 2016

HE won World Championship after competing an entire year in college last year. I think he can handle it this year.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 4, 2016

He gives an interview to Tommy Rowlands and Ben Askren on the TRow&Funky podcast.

Sheds light on a great deal of this.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 4, 2016

I suspect this is just how this guy (Snyder) is wired and he is doing the things he values in the way he is comfortable doing them; I think he'll leave the experience satisfied no matter how it plays out.

I also wonder if there isn't a template being cultivated by which future top tier guys who aspire to International success will want to come to tOSU where a hybrid approach to folkstyle/freestyle is embraced.

If Snyder both wins the NCAA and qualifies for the Olympics, I think this will be a game changer in regard to format/structure for any college program that also has a OTC affiliation.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on January 4, 2016

Hard to argue the move if it is what the kid wants to do.

Those of you who are for this, ask yourselves why? Is it just because you're a fan of Ohio State? I'm not a fan of Ohio State, but I follow several of their wrestlers. I just don't see how this is right for the wrestler.

He wanted to take an Olympic red-shirt, presumably to focus on his freestyle in the year leading up to the 2016 summer Games. Everything was going perfectly. He won the World Team trials, he won a World Title. He's the guy to beat at 97kg heading into the trials. The plan was working. What changed?

Martin showed he can go with anyone at 174 by his close bout with Nickal and maybe Hunter Stieber has shown a miraculous recovery and will contend. Those two things coupled with Tomesello and Bo Jordan picking up where they left off and Micah Jordan looking strong at 141. Even Ryan at 157 looks to qualify and score at the NCAA Tourney. That's what changed.

I just don't think the team possibly being able to win a national title is a good reason to pull your red-shirt. Look at what's happening at Oklahoma State. Smith is their best 157-pounder. Why isn't he in the line-up? Because his father is the coach and he's putting the wrestler's needs before the team. He's giving the individual athelete the best chance at achieving his goals. I don't feel like this new plan does that for Snyder.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 4, 2016

[quote="Michael Rodriguez"]Those of you who are for this, ask yourselves why? Is it just because you're a fan of Ohio State? I'm not a fan of Ohio State, but I follow several of their wrestlers. I just don't see how this is right for the wrestler.

I don't need to ask myself why or if this is whats right for the wrestler because the wrestler Kyle is the one making this move. No one forced him to and I'm sure coach Ryan asked him about it and Kyle checked with his freestyle coaches and ultimately he made the decision to come back so if its good enough for Kyle then its good enough for me.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 4, 2016

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"I don't need to ask myself why or if this is whats right for the wrestler because the wrestler Kyle is the one making this move. No one forced him to and I'm sure coach Ryan asked him about it and Kyle checked with his freestyle coaches and ultimately he made the decision to come back so if its good enough for Kyle then its good enough for me."

+1.

Had he decided to stay in RS status - ok.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on January 4, 2016

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-t-row-funky-show/id1059934839

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 4, 2016

Tom Ryan is playing poker and there is a huge pot on the table. He's decided to go all in. He's pushed his pile into the pot and the rest of the table has a lot more to consider.

Bucks have improved their hand a lot. Is it a winner?

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Tom Ryan is playing poker and there is a huge pot on the table. He's decided to go all in. He's pushed his pile into the pot and the rest of the table has a lot more to consider.

Bucks have improved their hand a lot. Is it a winner?"

I totally agree that that's what's happening, I just don't think it should.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 5, 2016

I respect and admire Kyle for coming back, it's a cool plot twist.

The young man seems like a great person and teammate.

My opinion is that wrestling in the most brutal folk style tournament two weeks before Olympic Trials may not be the best decision.

I'll be rooting hard for him in both.

Reminder that this site is great because of knowledge and opinions.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on January 5, 2016

After reading and listening to the interviews, it's VERY clear that this was a Tom Ryan's initiated plan. TR explored this decision for 2 weeks before speaking with KS's dad. So now you have TR and KS's dad asking about coming out of Olympic Redshirt, that alone is a lot of pressure to put on Kyle.

Anyone else think the following was synchronized. When you consider that timeframe and when Myles Martin decided to come out of redshirt, I can't imagine that KS and MyMar decision wasn't in sync. Now you have one saying if you're all in, I'm in too.

At the end of the day, I hope this plan works out for both MyMar & KS.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next