Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Discussion Topic: OSU vs. Missouri
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 13, 2015

I'm watching this match several hours after it happened. Just finished Bo's match. Not that anyone wants my opinion but I know how the last three weights are likely to go.

Foremost observation--Bo belongs at 174. He was noticeably weaker and really had to gut out this win. Credit to him for pulling it off. He showed a championship heart under adverse circumstances.

Micah's loss was understandable. He actually wrestled well with the exception of the last ten seconds. Tough opponent who gave him little opportunity to score. Personally, I think every time a neutral wrestler puts a hand or knee on the mat, he should have about 3 seconds til it has to come up. Otherwise, hit him with stalling prevents action.

Tav did a terrific job coming back to get a fall. And Tomasello was superb against a tough Barlow McGhee. I hope we appreciate Tomasello. His consistency is amazing.

DiJulius---deep sigh. Part of the problem was that Synon presented a tough matchup style wise. As to the rest...I'm just not sure.

Jake Ryan looks better each time out. He is light years ahead of where he was when he graduated high school. He is one of the most improved wrestlers I've ever seen in an Ohio State singlet and I think it will continue.

Tom Ryan can't keep putting that version of Ken Courts on the mat. Either get this weight cut figured out, or move him up to 197 and let him battle Martin. Rozema can go 184.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason Hayes added to this discussion on December 13, 2015

Just got home from the dual, man that was hard to watch. Seeing the dual live vs online, let's just say my family and the other 3 tOSU fans that attended, walked away a little concerned.

Positive note, got to visit with my son before and after the duals. The dual with tOSU help set a new attendance record at MU.

Speaking of the live aspect. Credit to the Mizzou crowd. They were into it the whole time.

Also meant to mention that Cody Burcher did a respectable job in a tough situation. Mayes is a stud and was looking for a fall. Burcher fought hard not to give it up. Saved a couple team points.

Mr. Hayes--last year Ohio State laid a huge egg vs Lehigh. They still won a team title. But there are some guys in this lineup who were thought to be AA candidates who are clearly not close at this time. Long season....let's hope these guys can get on track. Tough sport.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on December 13, 2015

Ohio State Wrestling
No. 8 Missouri 26, No. 3 Ohio State 17 | Columbia, Missouri
Records: Ohio State 3-1 | Missouri 3-0

285: #18 Nick Tavanello (OSU) won by fall over James Romero (MU) 4:40 | OSU 6, Missouri 0
125: #1 Nathan Tomasello (OSU) major decision over #8 Barlow McGhee (MU) 10-1 | OSU 10, Missouri 0
133: #14 Zach Synon (MU) won by fall over #5 Johnni DiJulius 5:59 | OSU 10, Missouri 6
141: #13 Matt Manley (MU) decision over #8 Micah Jordan 4-3 | OSU 10, Missouri 9
149: #5 Lavion Mayes (MU) major decision over Cody Burcher (OSU) 12-3 | Missouri 13, OSU 10
157: #14 Jake Ryan (OSU) major decision over Luke Fortuna (MU) 10-2 | OSU 14, Missouri 13
165: #2 Bo Jordan (OSU) decision over #9 Daniel Lewis (MU) 6-4 | OSU 17, Missouri 13
174: #9 Blaise Butler (MU) major decision over Dominic Prezzia (OSU) 13-3 | OSU 17, Missouri 17
184: #6 Willie Miklus (MU) tech fall over #11 Kenny Courts 15-0 | Missouri 22, OSU 17
197: #2 J’Den Cox (MU) major decision over Mark Martin (OSU) 11-2 | Missouri 26, OSU 17

Steve Lester added to this discussion on December 13, 2015

I never got the feeling that the sky was falling last year. Last night.......

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on December 13, 2015

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"I never got the feeling that the sky was falling last year. Last night......."

You might not have but numerous other people on here did me included after that late season match against Lehigh. It's early and it seems like every year we freak out after a dual like this and every year coach Ryan and staff have them ready to go when it matters. Until March the rest is glorified practice and give the guys a chance to see where they need to improve.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on December 13, 2015

Can Mark Martin make 184 and does moving Kenny Courts to 197 improve his results? Is the issue that Kenny is cutting too much weight and Mark is getting out horsepowered, being up two weight classes?

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"Can Mark Martin make 184 and does moving Kenny Courts to 197 improve his results? Is the issue that Kenny is cutting too much weight and Mark is getting out horsepowered, being up two weight classes?"

I've wondered the same thing. Kenny had a lot of success a few years ago in several matches at 197. He looked smallish but wrestled well.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on December 14, 2015

Anyone else see the other OSU pull the RS on their stud freshman 133 to face defending NC Brewer and the result was a pin in 42 seconds for the young stud.

Rumor has it they could pull Johns son RS and put Chance on the bench.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on December 14, 2015

Kaid Brock is slick and has a deadly slide by from the neutral position. He's perfected that move years ago and it's his go to move. Beautifully executed against Cody Brewer within seconds into the match.

If OSU wants to win a National Championship, Brock redshirt needed to be pulled and now John Smith needs to pull his son's redshirt. Jo is better than Chance all day long.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 14, 2015

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"Kaid Brock is slick and has a deadly slide by from the neutral position. He's perfected that move years ago and it's his go to move. Beautifully executed against Cody Brewer within seconds into the match.

If OSU wants to win a National Championship, Brock redshirt needed to be pulled and now John Smith needs to pull his son's redshirt. Jo is better than Chance all day long."

I'm not overly sold on the first part of that post (due to lack of investigation on my part) but the second portion is spot on.

I'm not sold the switch can be flipped at 157 moving on into March.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on December 14, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"
I'm not overly sold on the first part of that post (due to lack of investigation on my part) but the second portion is spot on.

I'm not sold the switch can be flipped at 157 moving on into March."

Fair enough about the switch. Do you believe that Chance is a better option than Jo Smith? Jo has already beat #9 Lavallee MU, #13 Cotrell, Bless OSU & Marstellar OSU.

"

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"Kaid Brock is slick and has a deadly slide by from the neutral position. He's perfected that move years ago and it's his go to move. Beautifully executed against Cody Brewer within seconds into the match.

If OSU wants to win a National Championship, Brock redshirt needed to be pulled and now John Smith needs to pull his son's redshirt. Jo is better than Chance all day long."

I'm not sold the switch can be flipped at 157 moving on into March."

I think they will decide after the Southern Scuffle. If JoJo Smith out places Chance and is wrestling better then I think they pull his RS and take a run at the title

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 14, 2015

James nailed it. If JoJo outplaces Chance, the shirt is getting pulled.

Obviously (hopefully?) the cut is a problem.

There was early chatter about JoJo at 57, Chance to 165, Dieringer to 174, and the 174 (Krutchmer) up to 184 and bumping out the current 184. Great move if you have the depth in order to maximize points that way.

"James nailed it. If JoJo outplaces Chance, the shirt is getting pulled.

Obviously (hopefully?) the cut is a problem.

There was early chatter about JoJo at 57, Chance to 165, Dieringer to 174, and the 174 (Krutchmer) up to 184 and bumping out the current 184. Great move if you have the depth in order to maximize points that way."

I haven't heard that but makes sense.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next