Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Discussion Topic: OSU vs. Missouri
John DiJulius added to this discussion on December 10, 2015

This is the era of Ohio State wrestling and we need to capitalize on this window. If you look at any great runs, i.e. Penn State, Iowa, they had true freshman consistently stepping up. When the real Hunter Stieber returns, we will have 4 finalist candidates in Nato, Stieber, Jordan, & Jordan. If we can add 2-3 other AA's from the other six, which is realistic, it could be a REPEAT!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 11, 2015

Michael Rodriguez speaks to me head.

John DiJulius speaks to my heart.

I am betwixt.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on December 11, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Michael Rodriguez speaks to me head.

John DiJulius speaks to my heart.

I am betwixt."

I'm with you, but it's interesting that Mr. DiJ says 'when' and not 'if' the real Hunter returns...

C'mon John tell us what we want to hear! :)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 11, 2015

I agree with Mike Rodriguez. I think it's a big mistake not to have Bo Jordan at 174. Bo can probably score as many points at 174 as he and Myles will combined (if that's how you're looking at it). I also think Myles and Ke-Shawn are potential 4x AA's and future champs. Let them redshirt.

I understand why you make the move. This is not an easy decision either way.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on December 11, 2015

When Bo Jordan jogs onto the stage for the NCAA finals against the Ringer, I will be playing Red Rider's Lunatic Fringe", because you know damn well it has been playing in his head all year.

I know it's a big risk, but that's what makes sports enjoyable(at least for the fans). I like the move (if in fact it happens) because I'm a fan and I think it's fun to see the strategy.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on December 11, 2015

Quote from Brian Nicola's post:

"When Bo Jordan jogs onto the stage for the NCAA finals against the Ringer, I will be playing Red Rider's Lunatic Fringe", because you know damn well it has been playing in his head all year.

I know it's a big risk, but that's what makes sports enjoyable(at least for the fans). I like the move (if in fact it happens) because I'm a fan and I think it's fun to see the strategy."

I like the move as well, for the exact same reason. :)

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 11, 2015

If Jordan wants to go 165 and chase the challenge, I've got no issue with that. To me, that's got nothing to do with pulling Martin's red-shirt. I feel the same way about Stieber. If Hunter Stieber comes back and runs the table (I don't see that happening), I don't think that means you should've pulled Martin's red-shirt. The team title won't be won or lost on the points that Martin may or may not score.

I think Martin can be special. I think the best opportunity for him to meet his potential is to take this year to train and be a freshman in college. I could be wrong...it happens a lot.

Ryan Mitchell added to this discussion on December 11, 2015

As Mike McDermott said in Rounders, "I told Worm you can't lose what you don't put in the middle. But you can't win much either."

Ben Golden added to this discussion on December 11, 2015

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

" The team title won't be won or lost on the points that Martin may or may not score. "

You could be right about this, but you could be wrong. Titles are sometimes won by small margins--recall tOSU's runner up finishes when Jaggers/Pucillo were wrestling.

I don't disagree with your view though. Tough decision for the coaches--who do have a responsibility to do what's best for the program. Team titles are great for the programs. So are great individual careers.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on December 11, 2015

Tom Ryan and the coaching staff are in the room everyday with these young men. If they think pulling a red-shirt is warranted I'm in support of the decision.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on December 11, 2015

Q1: For those that are in favor of pulling Myles Martin redshirt, would you still the same way if Hunter Stieber isn't 110% healthy?

Q2: What percentage healthwise do you feel that Hunter should be in order to seriously consider pulling Myles Martin redshirt?

Being physically 110% isn't the same as being 110% mentally, having faith that your body will hold up during the grind of competing against the best wrestlers.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 11, 2015

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"Q1: For those that are in favor of pulling Myles Martin redshirt, would you still the same way if Hunter Stieber isn't 110% healthy?

Q2: What percentage healthwise do you feel that Hunter should be in order to seriously consider pulling Myles Martin redshirt?

Being physically 110% isn't the same as being 110% mentally, having faith that your body will hold up during the grind of competing against the best wrestlers."

I think Michael did a good job of explaining the singularity of the decision to pull MyMar's RS. (The head.)

However, Ben's point of the smallest of margins can sometimes be the difference between champions and not champions is the other side of the coin. (The heart.)

A couple have noted - this decision, in the end, is what Tom Ryan & staff have signed up for. And I don't envy them one bit.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 11, 2015

M-Rod--I messed up. I keep confusing Bo going down with My Mar leaving redshirt. I don't like either decision but...

Tom Ryan is supposed to win championships. That's the name of the game in D1 wrestling. That means making tough decisions. I'm skeptical personally but understand it's ultimately his call.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 11, 2015

I totally agree it's obviously his call...and the guy has forgotten more about wrestling than I'll ever know. I think you and many fans and maybe even Coach Ryan agree with your statement that he was brought to Columbus to win championships and that's the name of the game in DI. I'm not totally on board with that. If the name of the game is to win championships, then all but a very select few coaches are not successful. There are great coaches from Virginia Tech to Cornell to Central Michigan to Missouri to Arizona State who have never won a team title. Heck, how many current coaches have, five? There are several fine wrestling program that have never won a title. Until last year, tOSU was one of them.

Get talented individuals with great work ethic on and off the mat to come to your school and buy into what you're selling. Then Shepard them throughout their career to be the best wrestler they can be, teaching technique and motivating...while mentoring them in the classroom and in life. To me, that's the name of the game in DI

To me, a move like this feels desperate. Like last year was lightning in a bottle they've got to catch again. Last year wasn't lightning in a bottle. It was the culmination of years of hard work, planning and good choices. Iowa of the 80s and 90 isn't gonna happen again...for anyone. Plot your course, stick to your plan and the titiles will come.

Last edited by Michael Rodriguez on December 11, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Ben Golden added to this discussion on December 11, 2015

Michael, haven't you always gotten on here and talked about how OSU fans should have expectations of championships? Now when fans are on here showing understanding for decisions that help the team win a championship, no bueno?

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next