Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Discussion Topic: OSU vs. Missouri
Curt Heinrichs added to this discussion on December 10, 2015

[quote="Michael Rodriguez" Logan Stieber could absolutely compete his freshman year. He was a sure fire All American...but now he's an All Time great because he took a year to build his body and skill set. Would you have traded Logan Stieber's true freshman year for his red-shirt senior?
Am I alone on this?[/quote]

If I remember correctly, Logan broke his wrist after competing a few times as a true freshman, so his redshirt would have been due to injury.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 10, 2015

Quote from Curt Heinrichs's post:

"[quote="Michael Rodriguez" Logan Stieber could absolutely compete his freshman year. He was a sure fire All American...but now he's an All Time great because he took a year to build his body and skill set. Would you have traded Logan Stieber's true freshman year for his red-shirt senior?
Am I alone on this?"

If I remember correctly, Logan broke his wrist after competing a few times as a true freshman, so his redshirt would have been due to injury.[/quote]

That's my point, Coach Ryan and his staff were FORCED to do the right thing by Stieber's injury. I bet if they were honest, they would say that they were thinking, "this kid is special. He's right there. He's gonna All American this year...maybe even sneak into the finals". While all of that was true and would've been an incredible freshman year by almost all standards, sitting a year was the better call. Hard to argue anything else.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 10, 2015

Mike: I think Myles Martin is special. Same for Hayes. I'd prefer that both redshirt.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 10, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Mike: I think Myles Martin is special. Same for Hayes. I'd prefer that both redshirt."

That makes three! But, in the end, it's up to Coach Ryan & Co.

That would be sweet if they won it this year, next year, and then again in #Cleveland in 2018. Sandwiches on Hank if that happens!!!!!!!

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on December 10, 2015

I like the call if Hunter comes back health. Snyder, Palmer, and Hunter didn't redshirt as true freshman and it worked out. I think Myles has shown he has the ability to make a major impact right away. BoJo's actions illustrates the selflessness and the strong character Tom Ryan has built for the program. Go Bucks!

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on December 10, 2015

I've heard Tom Ryan say that if he believes that a true freshman can finish top 4, he would seriously consider removing the redshirt.

After running last years NCAA numbers, the difference between not AAing and 4th place is double digits. If Ryan believes that Stieber will be 110% in March, I can see the argument for pulling Myles Martin redshirt, otherwise I wouldn't do it. The last couple of years have been rough for Hunter and I just don't see him returning at full strength but I hope I'm wrong.

Finish Average
1st 23.80
2nd 18.05
3rd 16.60
4th 13.95
5th 12.00
6th 10.00
7th 8.50
8th 6.05
Rd 12 3.00

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 10, 2015

I love facts. Especially sensible ones. Those are great numbers to ponder Dwight. Quantifies why you would or wouldn't pull a redshirt.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on December 10, 2015

"I love facts. Especially sensible ones. Those are great numbers to ponder Dwight. Quantifies why you would or wouldn't pull a redshirt."

Agreed. But what is the point differential (on average) of the top 3 teams over the past decade or so? I think that is what they are looking at.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on December 10, 2015

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"

"I love facts. Especially sensible ones. Those are great numbers to ponder Dwight. Quantifies why you would or wouldn't pull a redshirt."

Agreed. But what is the point differential (on average) of the top 3 teams over the past decade or so? I think that is what they are looking at."

I have those numbers for the top 2, who cares about top 3,lol

Year 1st 2nd Pts dif
2015 102 84 18
2014 109.5 104 5.5
2013 123.5 119.5 4
2012 143 117.5 25.5
2011 103.5 89.5 14
2010 134.5 90 44.5
2009 96.5 92 4.5
2008 117.5 79 38.5
2007 98 88.5 9.5
2006 122.5 84 38.5
2005 153 83 70

Avg per yr 24.77

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on December 10, 2015

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"

Agreed. But what is the point differential (on average) of the top 3 teams over the past decade or so? I think that is what they are looking at."

I have those numbers for the top 2, who cares about top 3,lol

Year 1st 2nd Pts dif
2015 102 84 18
2014 109.5 104 5.5
2013 123.5 119.5 4
2012 143 117.5 25.5
2011 103.5 89.5 14
2010 134.5 90 44.5
2009 96.5 92 4.5
2008 117.5 79 38.5
2007 98 88.5 9.5
2006 122.5 84 38.5
2005 153 83 70

Avg per yr 24.77"

And THAT is why he's Dwight from State Farm!!! :)

So, with the composition of the top teams that will be battling for an NCAA title this season, do you see the difference between 1st and 2nd place being almost 25 points this season?

Mike Cook added to this discussion on December 10, 2015

Considering what Hunter did for tOSU last year and the fact that this is his senior year....GO FOR IT !!!

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 10, 2015

So, if I'm understanding those numbers right, the Buckeyes will get 3.0 points if Martin is a round of twelve guy? Are three points worth the year? And if not, are you saying in order for it to be a good red-shirt pull he'd have to All American...or even top four? That's a pretty high expectation for a tru-frosh...one very few have ever achieved for tOSU.

To me, those numbers are the reason to keep him in red-shirt, not pull him out.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on December 10, 2015

Recent TRUE FROSH AA's For the Bucks! J.D. Bergman, L. Palmer-4th, C. Tessari-4th, H. Stieber-6th, K. Snyder-2nd!

This tweet by WrestlingBucks makes me think they are pulling the RS

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on December 10, 2015

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"I've heard Tom Ryan say that if he believes that a true freshman can finish top 4, he would seriously consider removing the redshirt."

Was TR driving the coaching staff Suburban when he brought this up to you or were you guys catching a quick breakfast at Denny's, Dwight from State Farm? :)

Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 10, 2015

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"So, if I'm understanding those numbers right, the Buckeyes will get 3.0 points if Martin is a round of twelve guy? Are three points worth the year? And if not, are you saying in order for it to be a good red-shirt pull he'd have to All American...or even top four? That's a pretty high expectation for a tru-frosh...one very few have ever achieved for tOSU.

To me, those numbers are the reason to keep him in red-shirt, not pull him out."

Michael, I don't always agree with you, but I'm with you on this one. I think history (NCAA history, not just OSU) favors the RS.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next