Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Discussion Topic: OSU vs. Missouri
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 9, 2015

Quote from Bruce Andrews's post:

"I'm thinking that Tom Ryan knows more about Hunter Stieber's progress than we do and that might be factoring into his calculations about winning a title this year. In other words, if Hunter is making good progress, then it becomes reasonable to think that a National Title is within reach, in which case pulling Myles out of redshirt might make sense.

BWTHDIK"

Bruce--astute observation. Hope you're right.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on December 9, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

"I'm thinking that Tom Ryan knows more about Hunter Stieber's progress than we do and that might be factoring into his calculations about winning a title this year. In other words, if Hunter is making good progress, then it becomes reasonable to think that a National Title is within reach, in which case pulling Myles out of redshirt might make sense.

BWTHDIK"

Bruce--astute observation. Hope you're right."

What Hank said x2. :)

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on December 9, 2015

As a fan, would you rather.....

a) Hunter Stieber win an individual national title to end his career but tOSU finishes 3rd

or

b) tOSU repeats as national champions but Hunter fails to AA

Cameron Stewart added to this discussion on December 9, 2015

A) After what he did last year for the team at Big 10s

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 9, 2015

Quote from Brandon Sommers's post:

"As a fan, would you rather.....

a) Hunter Stieber win an individual national title to end his career but tOSU finishes 3rd

or

b) tOSU repeats as national champions but Hunter fails to AA"

These are the kinds of questions the leave people swimming with the fishes. ;-)

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on December 9, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

BWTHDIK"

Bruce--astute observation. Hope you're right."

One of the many things I love about the dot.net is the many folks who think of an angle I had not considered.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on December 9, 2015

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/252694-Wrestling-News-2015-16/article/38427-Major-Ohio-State-Lineup-Changes-Coming#.Vmi7izjSnIU

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on December 10, 2015

Ok, here's my question...does NCAA Div I have a limit on open tourney matches/events/points a wrestler is allowed to wrestle in and will this have an impact on MyMar's contribution for the remaining season? I wasn't sure since everything he has competed in up until now has been unattached, under the RS umbrella. Currently he's sitting at 20 matches on the year while other attached wrestlers have 5-10 matches. Is this something that could bite us here and there or is MyMar in the clear since it was unattached?

Gregory Martin added to this discussion on December 10, 2015

Wait a minute who made this decision I'm on my way to Columbus right now hahahahaha Just joking Coach Ryan is a man I put my trust in and a Big reason my son chose tOSU he will do the right thing for Myles I'm sure !! With that said let's Go Buckeyes!!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 10, 2015

Quote from Gregory Martin's post:

"Wait a minute who made this decision I'm on my way to Columbus right now hahahahaha Just joking Coach Ryan is a man I put my trust in and a Big reason my son chose tOSU he will do the right thing for Myles I'm sure !! With that said let's Go Buckeyes!!"

Ahhhhhhmen.

Curt Heinrichs added to this discussion on December 10, 2015

"Wait a minute who made this decision I'm on my way to Columbus right now hahahahaha Just joking Coach Ryan is a man I put my trust in and a Big reason my son chose tOSU he will do the right thing for Myles I'm sure !! With that said let's Go Buckeyes!!"

Remember the fact that Coach Ryan was an NCAA runner-up. You'd better catch him sleeping.

Gregory Martin added to this discussion on December 10, 2015

Quote from Curt Heinrichs's post:

"

Remember the fact that Coach Ryan was an NCAA runner-up. You'd better catch him sleeping."

I hope you don't think I would be coming to wrestle LOL I'm like Al Pacino in any given Sunday

Roe Fox added to this discussion on December 10, 2015

I enjoy your candor and enthusiasm.

With the trend toward wrestling sooner for top notch recruits growing, I am starting to agree with those who say wrestle now for several reasons. Individually if he can compete now he might as well while healthy. Save the shirt for an unexpected occurrence. I also think he is more than ready from watching his matches and the Buckeye videos.

The team is likely better point wise with Bo at 65 and MM at 74. Dieringer is fantastic but Bo can certainly hang. Also, it is not just an individual concern for MM to pull the shirt but by all accounts it obviously will be a tougher route to a title for Bo than if he were at 74.

Selfishly I have been looking forward to MM wrestling since last year. I think he does very well.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 10, 2015

Not to be a downer, but I still think this is a mistake. It's short sighted with regard to the team and the individual. Tomessello and Jordan would have been significant upgrades to who took the mat for the Buckeyes during their freshman season. The staff did what was best for the athletes and look what happened, not just last year, but watch how their careers end up. Logan Stieber could absolutely compete his freshman year. He was a sure fire All American...but now he's an All Time great because he took a year to build his body and skill set. Would you have traded Logan Stieber's true freshman year for his red-shirt senior? At the absolute best, he might've been an NCAA runner-up as a tru-frosh. His senior season he was an undefeated NCAA champion, the dominant force in college wrestling and the Hodge winner. They only did it because they were forced to by his injury, but it was the right call fro the get-go. It's a no-brainer.

You'll never know, because I can't prove a negative, but I feel pretty secure in my opinion on this one. Don't pull it. You'll be better in the long run. You're not trying to win this year, you're trying to win multiple years over an extended period of time.

I'd love to get former Buckeyes (or any elite wrestler for that matter)to talk about their experience and whether they agree with how their red-shirt was handled. I wonder what Lance Palmer would say. 4th in the nation is not too shabby...but what would a red-shirt senior season have looked like for Palmer? Metcalf gone? Does he stop Dake from winning four? What about Sponseller? I bet he'd have liked to trade his tru-frosh year for an extra one at the end. It would have been the difference between a one time AA and a 2X AA (and likely finalist).

Mr. Holman...I'd be interested to know what you think about using the red-shirt. You won your title in '93, right? And graduated in '88 if I'm correct? Did you red-shirt as a freshman or was it part of the transfer? I can't remember. regardless, you've got to be a fan of a fifth year considering you won your title in your fifth, right? Is there any circumstance where you would've traded your red-shirt senior season for your true freshman year?

Am I alone on this?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 10, 2015

Michael: As my boy MJ once said - you are not alone; I am here with you.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next