Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Michigan State Open
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on November 16, 2015

Quote from Gregory Martin's post:

"It did wonders for Bo and Nate I believe."

And, I suspect, Micah. If Micah goes on a rampage this year, we have a "growth pattern" worth noting.

Wouldn't it be fun if next year Bo, Micah, Nate, and Myles were all in the individual hunt for an NCAA title?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Personally I would keep My Martin in redshirt. Bo Jordan just utterly destroyed a pretty good Fox Baldwin. He is clearly a strong title contender at 174 or 165 but there is no Alex Dieringer at the higher weight.

Bucks have a fine team with two bonafide title contenders in Bo and Nate. Micah might prove to be one as well. Hunter is the wild card but it's hard to imagine him coming back and instantly assuming championship form. let's just hope he's healthy enough to go and compete at a high level.

Obviously there are other guys in the lineup with scoring potential. I'd ride that group and let it play out while keeping my young guys--Hayes, Moore and My Mart--on ice.

There is no reason to redshirt Mark Martin from a strategic point of view. I don't know why they would do it but there are likely issues of which I'm unaware."

Good stuff, SAC.

I suspect we all have some degree of "heart vs. practical reality" struggle in regard to wanting Hunter to have the storybook ending we hope for in light of his character, struggles, and perseverance.

The gnawing acceptance that he has a finite amount of time to peak, in tandem with uncontrollable variables as it relates to recup/surgeries, weighs heavily.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on November 16, 2015

Quote from Justin Hayes: 'I suspect we all have some degree of "heart vs. practical reality" struggle in regard to wanting Hunter to have the storybook ending we hope for in light of his character, struggles, and perseverance.

The gnawing acceptance that he has a finite amount of time to peak, in tandem with uncontrollable variables as it relates to recup/surgeries, weighs heavily.'[/quote]

Don't underestimate the heart, intensity, and determination of a Stieber.

I understand the 'phyical-health' issues, but if those aren't holding him back, anything is possible! - This is the guy who was ranked 8th in US Men's Freestyle before the injuries hit him. -The 'heart' is still there!

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on November 16, 2015

Right now we're faced with two distinct potential lineups...1 for now OR 1 for the future. Historically, Tom Ryan has always shown he's a "let's win now" kinda coach and I find it hard to believe he's going to change his feathers this far into the game. Especially when the pieces to the puzzle are so close to being put together. End of the year line-up is going to look like this, IMHO...

125- Nato
133- JDJ
141- Micah
149- Hunter
157- Ryan
165- Bo
174- MyMar
184- KC
197- Mark Martin
285- Tav

This lineup yields potential NCAA points at every single weight class with tons of top end potential and tons of AA potential. Win now. Can't wait to see it.

Quote from Pat Altvater's post:

"I understand the 'phyical-health' issues, but if those aren't holding him back, anything is possible! - This is the guy who was ranked 8th in US Men's Freestyle before the injuries hit him. -The 'heart' is still there!"

I agree...I'm rooting for the Huntsman to be in the hunt!

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"Right now we're faced with two distinct potential lineups...1 for now OR 1 for the future. Historically, Tom Ryan has always shown he's a "let's win now" kinda coach and I find it hard to believe he's going to change his feathers this far into the game. Especially when the pieces to the puzzle are so close to being put together. End of the year line-up is going to look like this, IMHO...

125- Nato
133- JDJ
141- Micah
149- Hunter
157- Ryan
165- Bo
174- MyMar
184- KC
197- Mark Martin
285- Tav

This lineup yields potential NCAA points at every single weight class with tons of top end potential and tons of AA potential. Win now. Can't wait to see it."

Oh, man, Shep, that looks tight on paper.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on November 16, 2015

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"Right now we're faced with two distinct potential lineups...1 for now OR 1 for the future. Historically, Tom Ryan has always shown he's a "let's win now" kinda coach and I find it hard to believe he's going to change his feathers this far into the game. Especially when the pieces to the puzzle are so close to being put together. End of the year line-up is going to look like this, IMHO...

125- Nato
133- JDJ
141- Micah
149- Hunter
157- Ryan
165- Bo
174- MyMar
184- KC
197- Mark Martin
285- Tav

This lineup yields potential NCAA points at every single weight class with tons of top end potential and tons of AA potential. Win now. Can't wait to see it."

Oh, man, Shep, that looks tight on paper."

Mark Martin and Kollin Moore wrestled off and Martin won by 2 points, is it possible that Moore can perform as well as Martin and allow him to take a redshirt and next season, you switch the too? Mark Martin scored .50 at the NCAA's, is their a belief that maybe Moore can match and possible exceed that scoring.

Just asking.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 16, 2015

Why does Martin need to RS? What value does that serve?

Moore, on the other hand, could improve substantially from a RS year.

My two cents - Let Mark wrestle. He can win matches in NYC.

Ron Hreha added to this discussion on November 16, 2015

"

And, I suspect, Micah. If Micah goes on a rampage this year, we have a "growth pattern" worth noting.

Wouldn't it be fun if next year Bo, Micah, Nate, and Myles were all in the individual hunt for an NCAA title?"

And don't forget about Kyle!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 16, 2015

Quote from Ron Hreha's post:

"

"

Wouldn't it be fun if next year Bo, Micah, Nate, and Myles were all in the individual hunt for an NCAA title?"

And don't forget about Kyle!"

LMAO! You're right! We forgot the World Champ!

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on November 16, 2015

I really like Kolin Moore.....but the version I saw yesterday would struggle in the Big 10 (as would 99.9% of humanity)
There is always going to be the debate of true freshman vs. 5th year senior. I think Myles Martin is pretty close to being able to score at Nationals, which obviously makes Tosu a more complete team. However, if I was betting I think we are watching Bo in the finals at 174 come March.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on November 16, 2015

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Why does Martin need to RS? What value does that serve?

Moore, on the other hand, could improve substantially from a RS year.

My two cents - Let Mark wrestle. He can win matches in NYC."

Moore,
Sometimes it's not about NCAA Championship point value as much as it is about what a wrestler has done for the team up to this point. Again, I'm asking the question.

Teel,
It's still early in the season and I have complete confidence that Moore will improve on his performance.

Everyone says that Myles Martin is ready and he may very well be but to make that determination based on a couple of open events seems premature to me. Now if Myles pulled off a Bo Nickal type performance, well, who can debate that result. I'm going to sit back and wait until the first of the year and see how the chips fall.

Gregory Martin added to this discussion on November 16, 2015

I agree and Even Nickal redshirted

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on November 16, 2015

Pretty much every recent "super star" benefited from a red shirt. The only one I can readily think of that didn't was Dake.
....and I absolutely think Moore will progress just fine. A high school senior 182 pounder coming into the big 10 as a 197 pounder would be brutal for anyone and I thought that showed a little yesterday is all.

Quote from Ron Hreha's post:

"

"

And don't forget about Kyle!"

I could not find the forest...the trees were in the way! LOL.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next