Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Mark Hall news
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 11, 2015

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"By not landing Hall, OSU should have plenty of 'cap space' next year to chase Spencer Lee or Daton Fix."

Drew- Lee looking blue too, Fix dad wrestled for okla state, add up the math. As bob dylan wrote, u don't need a weatherman to see which way the wind is blowin'

Dwight, i not so enamoured of Facs, sure they count a bit but this is wrestling, not college basketball or footall with the glitz & spoiled recruits whove already made national names for themselves on ESPN.

i recall heyday of Walsh Jesuits scourge of the nation teams in early, mid-90s --

i went down there at Barger's invite, his room was a stand alone one room pre-fab behind the school with no running water, perhaps the worst Fac in ohio-- and he had legendary teams there: Mollica, Heskett, Musser, Joey ONeil, Plouse, Marchette, Overholt, Jeff Knupp ---off the charts, '95 maybe greatest team in ohio history.

i'm thinking the head coach, staff, conference, weight class strength, and location of school in the decision process.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on November 11, 2015

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"
Dwight, i not so enamoured of Facs, sure they count a bit but this is wrestling, not college basketball or footall with the glitz & spoiled recruits whove already made national names for themselves on ESPN. "

Bob, I'm looking at the big picture from a 17-19 year old eyes and not OGs like us. The fact that you stated they count a bit means that it counts in the grand scheme when making a decision.

Just because it's wrestling doesn't mean any program shouldn't try to have the best of everything. You don't think that Tom Ryan for the last couple of years made it a point to talk about the new facilities and all the advantages it's going to have over other programs? I'll answer, YES, HE IS!

What 17-19 wouldn't be impressed with NC States Video Game room? Obviously NC State isn't on the same playing field as tOSU but duplicate that room at tOSU and that's a plus for the program compared to those who have a couple of chairs and a small tv in a room that appears to be after thought.

video game room? for the top recruits thats incidental, maybe the above avg & average guy looks at superficial stuff like that but we aren't talking about average guy here.

if Hall chooses Penn St, it will be mostly about Cael and the Penn st tradition and workout partners. Look at Okla St, whats in Stillwater, how can u even get there, why so many East coast elite kids go there? John Smith and their tradition.

Tom Ryan has his big wins too, when elite kids wanted to be coached by him and his staff- Tomosello, Logan, Hunter, Bo, Pucillo, Kyle Snyder, Myles Martin, KeShawn. Lack of video game room didnt matter, these caliber kids have loftier goals.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 11, 2015

Drew: of course the location of the university makes all the difference in which state's kids will do best. But if you looked closely at the out-of-state kids, only Hump and Snyder have really been impact wrestlers of note (Courts will depend on this season). And Hump is a legacy. So, based on my mildly convoluted logic, Snyder has really been the only out of state recruit who has been sensational since his arrival. That is significant. In a few cases, bad luck is to blame (Garcia). But most of the out of state guys Coach Ryan has brought in have not panned out as well as hoped. And the really elite out of state guys are much tougher to land.

While Coach Ryan has done well in-state, I'd argue he could do even better. And based on the evidence, it would be smarter for him to focus even more on Ohio wrestlers.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 11, 2015

Dwight - you make very valid points about the complexity of recruiting. NC State, certainly nowhere near a wrestling powerhouse steeped in tradition, has 5 Top 100 recruits in this next class.

It appears they are utilizing facilities and appealing to the youth of America. Makes sense to me, and it seems to be working.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"While Coach Ryan has done well in-state, I'd argue he could do even better. And based on the evidence, it would be smarter for him to focus even more on Ohio wrestlers."

the Hanksters words ring true --but talent has to be here. (Marinelli big loss but theres a strong hard-to-overcome reason he chose Iowa.)

For the past couple years normally rich ohio hasnt had the caliber of seniors of previous years. i see change, at Fargo camp i saw alot of top ohio incoming frosh elite.

(i see i'm being outvoted, lol, yes it must be the video game rooms, how could i have missed that?)

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 11, 2015

OSU's new facility will be, arguably, the best facility in the nation. Very impressive.

Kaleb is a very special kid (athletics + academics) - who has a very high upside as he's not yet a year round wrestler. Spends a fair amount of off season time prepping for football season - because as the QB, has higher level of responsibility.

Highlight of his current football season when named player of the week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBRmIBdV6EI

Here is Kaleb vs. Hiles at combine at Olentangy Lib -- the morning after he played vs out biggest rival West Liberty-Salem (home of the Dernlan clan).

http://bit.ly/1M6XmjL

And his interview with Zeb at that combine:

http://bit.ly/1Y4FsmW

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"video game room? for the top recruits thats incidental, maybe the above avg & average guy looks at superficial stuff like that but we aren't talking about average guy here.

if Hall chooses Penn St, it will be mostly about Cael and the Penn st tradition and workout partners. Look at Okla St, whats in Stillwater, how can u even get there, why so many East coast elite kids go there? John Smith and their tradition.

Tom Ryan has his big wins too, when elite kids wanted to be coached by him and his staff- Tomosello, Logan, Hunter, Bo, Pucillo, Kyle Snyder, Myles Martin, KeShawn. Lack of video game room didnt matter, these caliber kids have loftier goals."

Bob,

My view is if the rooms are relatively equal like tOSU, MN, PSU & OSU. What's the next criteria? A number of things of course and facilities is one of them.

Wrestlers and parents make checklist when visiting campuses and use those list as part of their decision making process.

Wrestlers goals can be obtain at any number of the elite schools. We'll have to agree to disagree but the bottom line, there's a reason tOSU and others are upgrading their wrestling rooms with mahogany lockers, marquee signs above the lockers, ipad stations, game rooms, countless workout gear, food and drink stations and etc. One thing is for sure, it's not for the avg to above avg recruits, imo.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 11, 2015

Just got my first look at Elijah Cleary (because I'd rather ignore customers at work and watch Flo). Nice prospect. Nothing too flashy but has a solid skill set and a good motor. Watched him lose a very close bout to Montalvo. Pretty similar abilities IMO.

I've gotta think he's a future 174. Isaiah White is a bit smaller so he's probably still a prospect.

Kaleb Romero would be a terrific recruit as well. But with My Martin as the 184 of the future and Cleary on the books, can they still offer him enough?

Brady, i don't doubt Kaleb or you re upside, but i'm a prove-it guy. As the old Texas football coach Darrel Royal said, "Potential is what u aint done yet."

Dwight, got your point, but if Hall chooses Blue, main reason is Cael.

However if he chooses ohio st then headlines read:
"RYAN WINS OVER VIDEO GAMES"
AP - Sociologists shocked, calling it a counter-culture phenomenon. Yale prof I.M. Brilliant says, "we underestimated todays youth, now its back to the drawing board for us. We'll need another Govt grant to study the long term implications - i hope Hillary gets in"

However if he chooses ohio st then headlines read:

That's funny!

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"However if he chooses ohio st then headlines read:

That's funny!"

Dwight, ive been refered to as the Milton Berle of ow.net - Berle said "I always leave em laughing."

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2