Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Mark Hall news
Curt Heinrichs added to this discussion on November 11, 2015

Haven't heard anything yet (until this afternoon on Flo) about Hall, but I just saw InterMat's announcement that the Buckeyes just got a commitment from 165/174 Elijah Cleary from Florida.

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/15132

While I know Hall dictates where he wrestles and at what weight, this sure looks like Ohio State knows something about Mark that we don't (yet).

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 11, 2015

Oh, somewhere in this favoured land the sun is shining bright,
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light;
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children
shout,
But there is no joy in Mudville— mighty Casey has struck out.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 11, 2015

Interesting position for Coach Ryan and OSU, when signing the 51st ranked wrestler in a class is seen as consolation.

Hall is a superstar, this announcement on Flo is an important event for the sport.

But for me, spinning positive, this speaks to OSU's recruiting and results success. They are in on the very best kids.

i wonder why i'm feelin' so BLUE today?

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on November 11, 2015

Bob, are you thinking (Un)Happy Valley?

Quote from Doug Brandt's post:

"Bob, are you thinking (Un)Happy Valley?"

Doug, to quote Subterranean Homesick Blues, Bob Dylan:

You don’t need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on November 11, 2015

Does the clearly signing affect Isaiah white or kaleb Romero at all?

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on November 11, 2015

Reading between the lines with the Elijah Cleary commitment, does it mean that Isaiah White becomes less of a priority?

Jason Russell added to this discussion on November 11, 2015

I like Cleary. He is still a little raw. Give him a redshirt year and he could end up being a steal for the bucks.

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Does the clearly signing affect Isaiah white or kaleb Romero at all?"

Nick, well Kaleb Roemero only a junior, and imo we really don't know just how good he is? Brady offers an expert opinion but unless he's beaten top guys nothing is proven.

However i wait until i see a kid beat or at least compete against someone of national repute. Great comp separates the great from the very good & good.

When u talk Isaiah White u r talkin' an IRONMAN champ, a FARGO Jr ntl champ, PROVEN. --i look & don't see Florida kid Cleary placing in Fargo freestyle last summer... i don't know, i ask outside Florida what has he won?

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on November 11, 2015

OSU had Alex Marinelli and lost him. OSU thought it had Mark Hall and lost him.

Swing big, miss big. It happens.

Tom Ryan will keep going after the very best recruits, and he'll deliver often enough to keep OSU in the mix among Top 5 programs.

Luke Pletcher was a good get. We'll see about Elijah Cleary, but my guess is he's a couple of good years away from cracking the lineup. I watched a recent match of his and he is raw.

By not landing Hall, OSU should have plenty of 'cap space' next year to chase Spencer Lee or Daton Fix.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 11, 2015

let's examine Ohio State's AA's under Ryan

From Ohio:
Jaggers
Palmer
Bergman
Pucillo
Stieber and Stieber
Tessari
BoJo
Tomasello
Sponseller
Heflin

Outside Ohio: Humphrey (dad was a buckeye), Snyder, Courts, Triggas

Bottom line: Bucks need a steady diet of Ohio talent. These guys are easier to get and have produced at a higher level than out of state talent. Doesn't mean it's not exciting to have terrific prospects like MyMar, Hayes and Haines. But it's harder to get guys that everyone wants--like Hall, Lee, Oliver, Nevills--when they're outside the state. I don't blame Ryan for wanting the best but he needs to make sure that any top Ohio prospect gets a strong pitch. Marinelli was just one of those things...he said yes then he said no. But as much as we'd love to see Mark Hall in Columbus, the Bucks will be fine without him.

My advice to Tom Ryan--remain best friends with the coaches at your powerhouse programs like Graham, Eds, Mass Perry, Elyria, Brecksville, Wadsworth, etc...

And do what you can to strengthen the sport around the state.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on November 11, 2015

Excluding Alex Marinelli, I think some of these misses have to do with tOSU's wrestling facilities. I've had personal tours of a number of the Big10 wrestling rooms and you can easily see the pros and cons of tOSU room. Once the new wrestling room is completed, I think tOSU will see an increase in commits.

Sometimes, it's the little things that recruits are looking for and other times bells and whistles.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 11, 2015

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"Excluding Alex Marinelli, I think some of these misses have to do with tOSU's wrestling facilities. I've had personal tours of a number of the Big10 wrestling rooms and you can easily see the pros and cons of tOSU room. Once the new wrestling room is completed, I think tOSU will see an increase in commits.

Sometimes, it's the little things that recruits are looking for and other times bells and whistles."

Dwight: You and Rex should have to post hourly. Always impressed with your insights.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on November 11, 2015

Hank,

OSU is going to have more AAs from Ohio than from elsewhere simply because the majority of the roster is from Ohio.

Going off of memory, the following non-Ohioans did not pan out under Tom Ryan: Cody Gardner, Derek Garcia, Andrew Campalattano and Nick Roberts. I'm probably missing someone.

For whatever reason, Ohio has not produced blue-chippers the past two years aside from Marinelli, but it's not like Tom Ryan has disregarded the Buckeye state. Kollin Moore, Jose Rodriguez and Ryan Harris are all guys that could've gone to good wrestling programs but took small scholarships to attend OSU.

One point: I'm surprised other St. Paris Graham wrestlers haven't followed Bo and MIcah Jordan to Columbus.

Another point: Has Claymont's Tyler Warner committed anywhere?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next