Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: tOSU vs. Virginia: Friday November 13, 2015 (Home)
William Danforth added to this discussion on November 13, 2015

OSU 34 VU 6

Lost decs at 165 and 197.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on November 13, 2015

Unfortunately I got there after 157. All in all, good start to the season.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 13, 2015

Great, great night of wrestling.

Saw Ben, Britt, Justin, Brian, and perhaps a few others.

125: NATO is legit. I feel he has improved LEAPS AND BOUNDS since his senior year in high school.
133: JDJ guts a win. And it was excellent to see!
141: how fantastic is Mic? Rangy, quick, strong - he's the real deal. National champ this year! Or at least AA. If not that, certainly a round of 16 guy. All in all, I'd be shocked if he doesn't qualify for the NCAAs.
149: Pin't'eem! HUUUUUUGE win for Burcher.
157: I thought Jake was fading hard. Glad he pulled it out in the end. Well done and congrats on the win.
165: I thought for sure, given the previous two matches, Kresevec was going to ride the magic. It did not turn out that way.
174: Holy Strong-Like-Bull! BoJo is JACKED!
184: Kenny "The All-American" Courts looked sharp as he always does. A full seven minutes of an "on" KC leads to a second AA honor.
197: Ohara was in the tussle. Just didn't find a way in the end.
285: sneaky single leg. Nice cradle to put an exclamation mark on the night.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 13, 2015

Mark, what did you think of the 4-point near fall points? Logan could have ended most of his matches a lot sooner had that rule been in effect. And what a comeback by JDJ. Going into the third, I never thought he would pull it off.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on November 14, 2015

Great match for the team! I was very impressed with Micah and how fast his shots are. The gramby his opponent pulled off was amazing! It was great to see Jake Ryan get the win. The announcers said that kid beat the 6th ranked guy last weekend so is was a good win for Jake. Great job everyone!

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on November 14, 2015

I saw the 4 point NF...how does that work?

Gregory Martin added to this discussion on November 14, 2015

2 swipes 2 points 4 swipes 4 points

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 14, 2015

Jack: I dislike NF4 on principle of change for the sake of change. I saw no need for a tweak in that area.

Interestingly, although I'd have to go back and watch the match, I think NF4 at the end of JDJ's match is what put/kept the match out of reach.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 14, 2015

There have been many times early in the season when I have not felt the Bucks looked sharp. Last night, however, was the opposite. Very good first effort. What I liked about last night was seeing guys like Ryan and Burcher look ready. I've had a long running pet peeve about the Bucks not having guys ready to step in and compete. Last night was the opposite.

Nice first effort.

Micah Jordan is a HUGE 141 and that can make a big difference. If he can maintain his energy level, he's a title contender.

Jake Ryan wrestled a terrific match against a quality opponent. This kid has developed beautifully since high school.

Courts looked sucked in. He's going to need to work hard to keep his weight under control.

Poor Fox Baldwin. He's 9-0 and feeling good about himself. He gets in deep in the first five seconds. Then-BOOM--BoJo goes beast mode.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 14, 2015

I was impressed with Burcher. He had some stuff and executed it perfectly. That knee pick was Pucillo-like and the reverse cradle I'm sure made Jaggers proud. Also he defended that potential headlock by the Virginia kid. I don't care if he falls behind, if he has that cradle in his repertoire he's always going to be dangerous, isn't that right Joe Heskett?

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on November 14, 2015

Is Jake Ryan the plan to be the starter for the next 4 years or is tOSU looking at let's say top 20 HS recruit type talent to solidify that weight? Nothing against Jake but I don't see the offense needed to be a AA and score points at the NCAA Championships. I hope I'm wrong.

Micah looked good at 141# just like previous poster mentioned. Extremely aggressive and looked to score all the time, I really liked that type of attitude and performance.

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"Is Jake Ryan the plan to be the starter for the next 4 years or is tOSU looking at let's say top 20 HS recruit type talent to solidify that weight? Nothing against Jake but I don't see the offense needed to be a AA and score points at the NCAA Championships. I hope I'm wrong"

Oh, look, Niemann, "Dwight LeRoy" is trying to misdirect us as if he isn't in the know as TR's personal "Body Man"/Wrestling Maintenance guy. :)

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on November 14, 2015

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"

"Is Jake Ryan the plan to be the starter for the next 4 years or is tOSU looking at let's say top 20 HS recruit type talent to solidify that weight? Nothing against Jake but I don't see the offense needed to be a AA and score points at the NCAA Championships. I hope I'm wrong"

Oh, look, Niemann, "Dwight LeRoy" is trying to misdirect us as if he isn't in the know as TR's personal "Body Man"/Wrestling Maintenance guy. :)"

If I knew the answer, I wouldn't ask the question lol. I know a little bit of this and that but this isn't one of them.

"

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"

Oh, look, Niemann, "Dwight LeRoy" is trying to misdirect us as if he isn't in the know as TR's personal "Body Man"/Wrestling Maintenance guy. :)"

If I knew the answer, I wouldn't ask the question lol. I know a little bit of this and that but this isn't one of them."

Sure thing, "Dwight from State Farm":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47cAxRX3aDg

Aha!

Last edited by Justin Hayes on November 14, 2015; edited 1 time in total

So I must confess I'm a bit conflicted on my KEC and JDJ perspective; I want to do better...I just need to get there:

I took my dad to his first college wrestling match and whispered, "Sometimes watching Kenny Courts is like watching paint dry..." at which point Kenny "Effin" Courts whips his opponent like a rented mule. (Niemann got my KEC attitude squared away, though, "The wounds of a friend...")

Kenny, again, I'm sorry. :(

Conversely, most of JDJ's match I felt like, well, I was watching Kenny during the regular season last year. It is agonizing watching him drop his head and get his arm woven through the crotch as though he wrestling in the Afton Quadrangular; George is excellent and it just seems that JDJ has his number. I'm fearful, though, that when it comes to NCAAs George is going to flip the script. I love JDJ but those 11th hour frenetic "roll-a-thons" completely unnerve me (barrel, Peterson, granby, pick your poison). I'd feel a lot more comfortable if they were his secondary or tertiary arsenal, instead of his primary.

NaTo is the ultimate Battle (Noun). (After some off season consideration on Shep's thoughts, I concluded that "Battle Troll" might be misinterpreted as a dispersion, so I've chosen to tamp it down for the time being...although IMar is still soooo thuggy fresh.)

I'm enamored with Micah's treacherous ranginess and crisp execution when his opponent is most vulnerable. He snaps/shucks/snags the (crap)out of his opponent if they are off balance. #HumanSnareTrap

Knew nothing about Burcher; attaboy.

I thought if I were TR's son, I'd feel an enormous sense of obligation to my dad, not because he is the Coach, but because of his personal wrestling journey (driving to Iowa, walking on, etc.)

I stand corrected, M-Rod, as BoJo looked big and powerful, but seemed to me that he could cut a weight class if necessary. (Dad whispered, "That other boy -Fox- would probably just like to get off the mat as soon as possible..." LOL!)

I was rooting for Tav; made me happy to see him get the pin.

The banners were uber-cool.

I stand by my contention:

Repeat via Good Providence and sheer guts, not just winning the ones they should...but winning the one they can.

Let it be written, let it be so.

It seems that if JDJ and Micah can AA, and the Usual Suspects repeat, tOSU is in the mix.

Didn't Minnesota win one year without any Champions?

Niemann....go!

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next