Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Cleveland St news
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 31, 2015

Press release, i note Sam Wheeler now at CSU. 3 good new frosh 125 Evan Cheek, 157 John Vaughn, 184 Jacob Worthington:

The Cleveland State wrestling team will begin the 2015-16 season this Sunday (Nov. 1) at the Clarion Open at 9:00 a.m.

Ben Stehura will begin his eighth season as head coach for the Vikings, welcoming two new members to his staff in Josh Moore and graduate assistant Freddy Garcia. Moore was most recently the top assistant at Kent State for the last 11 seasons while Garcia is a familiar face in the EWL, consistently ranking in the top tier of his weight class and making appearances in the EWL Finals and NCAA Championships at Lock Haven over the past several seasons.

As a team, CSU welcomes back 12 returning letterman, none more decorated than senior Riley Shaw. Shaw, returning from a 31-4 junior season that earned him an EWL heavyweight championship and birth in the NCAA Championships, will look to make his third appearance at the NCAA Championships in four tries. Shaw is ranked in every top wrestling outlet, currently as high as No. 8 according to Flowrestling.com.

The other 11 returning letterman for the Vikings are seniors Chas Busz, Michael Carlone, Xavier Dye, Alfredo Gray and RJ LaBeef. Junior returning letterman include Nick Corba, John Martin, Nick Montgomery, Gabe Stark and Nathan Wynkoop.

The Vikings will also welcome seven newcomers into a green and white uniform, Sam Wheeler (grad transfer) and freshmen Evan Cheek (Milan, Ohio), Sam Matzek (North Olmsted, Ohio), Ryan Montgomery (Madison, Ohio), Dylan Strange (Parma, Ohio), Grant Turnmire (Almont, Mich.), John Vaughn (Boiling Springs, Pa.) and Jacob Worthington (Wellington, Ohio).

"I'm very excited to see this roster compete," Stehura said. "This is a really good freshman class mixed with a strong returning group. There's a ton of potential for success."

Projected starting lineup for the Vikings as they head into the beginning of the season:
125 - Evan Cheek
133 - Mike Kostandaras
141 - Mike Carlone
149 - Nick Montgomery
157 - John Vaughn
165 - Nathan Wynkoop
174 - Gabe Stark
184 - Jacob Worthington
197 - Sam Wheeler
285 - Riley Shaw

The team will wrestle nearly the entire roster, barring the injured, this Sunday at the Clarion Open. Last season, the team brought home two top finishes from the open, an event that will include wrestlers from the ACC, Big 12 and Big 10 conferences.

The Vikings will host John Carroll next Sunday (Nov. 8) at 4:00 p.m. in a dual series that dates back to 1964.

On Nov. 14 CSU will travel to The Ohio Duals at Spire Institute in Geneva, OH (College Wrestling Showcase)

For a full roster, click here. For a look at the full schedule, click here.

SOCIAL MEDIA
Facebook: Cleveland State Wrestling

Twitter: @CSUWrestling, @KVargoCSU

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 31, 2015

*berth

That what I noticed. :-(

ps: I like Kostandaras

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on October 31, 2015

"Join the WIBN Cleveland Chapter & the Northeast Ohio Regional Training Center for an amazing evening with Congressman Jim Jordan. It all starts with a pre-match social and fundraiser at the HofbrÀuhaus Cleveland. Then, we move over to Cleveland State University to watch the CSU Vikings take on the defending NCAA Team Champion Ohio State Buckeyes at 7pm."

November 24th.
30 dollars (includes admission to the CSU vs. OSU match).

http://www.wrestlersinbusiness.org/events/event_details.asp?id=699842&group

This is an amazing opportunity to not only unite with other CSU supporters, but to hear from Congressman Jim Jordan who publicly supported CSU while the AD was attempting to serve his own personal agenda by fraudulently defunding the wrestling program. I am so grateful for the support of prominent figures such as Congressman Jordan, the immense support from the community, and the impeccable leadership of the CSU coaching staff which resulted in the program being fully re-instated and secured.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on October 31, 2015

For the first time in quite sometime CSU have two legitmate opportunities for AA's with Shaw and Wheeler. I will be in attendance Nov 24 to enjoy the action.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 1, 2015

Chris: I appreciate your excitement but want to point out that CSU had two AA candidates last season as well. Ben Willeford was a legit top 20 caliber wrestler. He and Shaw were very good.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 1, 2015

Wheres Xavier Dye? Is he hurt? What about King? King not listed on roster....he had legit talent.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on November 1, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Chris: I appreciate your excitement but want to point out that CSU had two AA candidates last season as well. Ben Willeford was a legit top 20 caliber wrestler. He and Shaw were very good."

Hank, i realize that Ben Willeford was at CSU last season, but 125 was ridiculously tough! It would've been a very tall order. However, this year 197 doesn't have Snyder and the path to AA for Wheeler seems more doable. I feel Shaw has another year of experience under his belt and has the talent to compete with almost anyone in the country. I should of said CSU has better odds of AA this year than last. This would be a great story after the program was on the verge of getting cut.

Brian Grimm added to this discussion on November 2, 2015

Good for Sam. I hope he does well!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 7, 2015

press release:

The Cleveland State University Wrestling Program is off to a great start after a strong showing at the Clarion Open last weekend. CSU had one Champion (Riley Shaw-285) and 5 other individual place winners in Mike Kostandaras (Fourth at 133lbs), Nick Montgomery (Second at 149lbs), Gabe Stark(Fourth at 174lbs), Nick Corba (Third at 184lbs-Wrestling Unattached), and Sam Wheeler (Third at 197lbs). Three of our true freshman who competed each won at least 2 matches on the day as well. Our schedule is loaded with some of the best teams in the nation, and our guys are excited and ready to compete. We want to keep you updated with our results, upcoming events, and hope that you will support the program for the 2015-2016 Season and beyond!
Clarion Open Release

Cleveland State University Upcoming Events:

November 8th-John Carroll Home Dual 4pm

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 9, 2015

http://www.csuvikings.com/sports/m-wrestl/2015-16/releases/20151108qi535m

John Ice added to this discussion on November 9, 2015

Got my tickets for the CSU vs tOSU match that is on the 24th of this month. Anyone else thinking about going?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 9, 2015

Very busy time of the year for me at work but it's hard for me not to imagine being in attendance.

Curt Heinrichs added to this discussion on November 10, 2015

I'll be there. Look for the guy in the shirt with the vertical black and white stripes.

That won't be me.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 11, 2015

This Saturday, Cleveland State will compete in the Inaugural Wrestlers in Business Ohio Duals College Showcase Event at the Spire Institute in Geneva, Ohio.

Along with Cleveland State, this event will feature College Programs from all divisions including Kent State University (Division 1), Tiffin University (Division 2), Lake Erie College (Division 2), Baldwin Wallace University (Division 3), Mercyhurst NE (NJCAA), as well as Akron and Toledo NCWA Teams.

Featured Wrestlers: #2 Ranked Ian Miller (Div 1-Kent State), #8 Ranked Riley Shaw (Div 1- Cleveland State), #12 Ranked Mike Depalma (Div 1-Kent State), #15 Ranked Mack McGuire (Div 1-Kent State), # 4 Ranked Mike Screptock (Div 2-Tiffin), #2 Ranked Jake Cramer (Div 2-Tiffin), #2 Garrett Grey (Div 2-Tiffin), #1 Ranked Matt Vandermeer (Div 2-Lake Erie College), #7 Ranked Evan Rosborough (Div 2-Lake Erie College)

This event will feature many ranked wrestlers from all divisions and will be a great day in NE Ohio Wrestling History! We hope that you can join us Saturday, November 14th for the Showcase Event. This event will also serve as a fundraiser for the NEORTC (Northeast Ohio Regional Training Center) which benefits wrestlers of all age levels in NE Ohio, and acts as a source of funding for Cleveland State University Wrestling.

Event Schedule:

November 14th, 2015

9:00am-Doors Open

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 11, 2015

Cameron Lathem (Ashville Teays Valley) just committed to CSU. Congrats to all parties involved.

► Add to the Discussion