Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: OU updates - new coaches, Claxton eligibility?
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on September 27, 2015

Per OU's wrestling Twitter, they've added Eric Morrill and Colt Sponseller to the staff. Morrill has been at VT the past 4 years and Sponseller has been with Edinboro.

It's exciting to see Colt back in Ohio.

Also, updated roster:

http://www.ohiobobcats.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/ohio-m-wrestl-mtt.html

Per Flo's Christian Pyle, OU's request for Claxton to have a final year of eligibility has not been approved. This would be disappointing for Tywan and would leave a question mark in the middle of the line up.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Grimm added to this discussion on September 29, 2015

What is the basis of Claxton's request? It would be a shame if he doesn't get to wrestle this year.

Christopher Sommers added to this discussion on September 29, 2015

I don't comment on here much but Tywan has been a close friend and was an offseason teammate since our freshman year of high school. His freshman year he went to King College (D2) he wrestled and All-Americaned. The next year he was going to redshirt and wrestled 6 matches at 2 events in the fall semester. He switched out and transferred over to OU due to several issues and instabilities at the school;coach who was very inappropriate and was arrested for statutory rape as well as several other issues at the school. So the appeal has been denied because King is listing he wrestled 6 events which is too high of a percentage of events, yet somehow from the 2 events Tywan has told me he should be eligible. I know there was going to be one last effort to try and appeal the appeal. I don't know the full explanation of the events and how the percentage relates to whether it counts as a year competed, I just know that was more or less his basis.

I for one truly hope he can get this last year back and see what he can do. His trajectory has been incredible. From starting wrestling his freshman year of high school to placing twice at state, to All-Americaning as a freshman (albeit d2) then the taking the climb of D1 and making nationals, and then his next year losing in double overtime of the bloodround. I would love to see what he could put together with this year. If he doesn't get this year his competitive nature will carry him thru in MMA where he's already had a couple of amateur fights and I'm sure he will excel there. Just would be nice to see him wrestle for one more year before that hop.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 29, 2015

No need for "albeit d2" - that's impressive in on it's own.

ps: I agree it would be nice; not only for him, but also the Bobcats.

Christopher Sommers added to this discussion on September 30, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"No need for "albeit d2" - that's impressive in on it's own.

ps: I agree it would be nice; not only for him, but also the Bobcats."

Definitely, any level to me is impressive, I just know to some others they view it as if it's not D1 it isn't a big deal. Definitely is a huge hurt to their squad without him. I thought they had a nice team this year to push in the MAC for a title.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 30, 2015

They are pre-season 15. I would LOVE to see a push into the top 10. I think they will need Claxton in order to do that. That or some level of momentum lights a fire that causes a few wrestlers to have breakout years.

Either way, go Bobcats!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 30, 2015

I proudly bought Tywan's lunch last time he came in. Great kid. Hoping he can get one more year.

► Add to the Discussion