Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks Lineup
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 9, 2015

Excellent article/interview! Loved it.

ps: 11W Lear jet. He he he...

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on October 9, 2015

Loved the no-nonsense approach. "Let's just cut right to the chase and ask the questions the dot netters wanna know!" And kudos to Coach Ryan for giving up the goods.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on October 9, 2015

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNIv1n-rO2c

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on October 9, 2015

Repeat.

Let it be written, let it be so.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on October 19, 2015

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/252645-Ohio-State-2015-2016-Preview/video/797624-tOSU-All-Hands-On-Deck#.ViVjYpVdHIU

I don't care to wrestle or box NaTo. Jus' Sayin'

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 19, 2015

good stuff

Last edited by Bob Preusse on October 20, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Steve Lester added to this discussion on October 20, 2015

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/252645-Ohio-State-2015-2016-Preview/video/797624-tOSU-All-Hands-On-Deck#.ViVjYpVdHIU

I don't care to wrestle or box NaTo. Jus' Sayin'"

Good stuff in there. BoJo discusses Micah's weight, his own weight and the Ringer. Hunter talks about hoping to be back beginning of Jan, if possible.

You could interpret coach as being a touch contradictory discussing redshirts. Or not.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on October 22, 2015

Those Flo videos provided some good insight into things we've speculated about for months. For example, Micah definitely looks as trim as I've seen him in years and it's abundantly clear he's gonna make the cut down. And Bo looks huge. He said he's walking around at 180-181 right now and he looks to be in solid shape at that weight. So I'm gathering 165 is going to be a pretty solid cut (if it happens) and this will probably be his last year down there.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on October 24, 2015

Great Interview with Tom.

There was another video on flo showing Logan sparring with Kyle Snyder. - Very entertaining for an OSU fan. Logan rolled Kyle with a gut-wrench. - It is just fun watching the guys go at half-speed working on technique, with Ryan cutting in to give advice and direction. - Pure wrestling at its 'funnest'!

I think I saw Mark Martin rolling with Tervel Dlagnev in the background.

Something that Ryan referred to in this video that we have discussed, but is often overlooked is how significant it is for the OSU squad to workout regularly with the Ohio RTC. Beside OSU coaches Jaggers and Logan, they get to spar with Kyle this year, and Humpreys, and Dlagnev, and J.D. Bergman. - When you wrestle regularly with those guys, you are: 'either going to get better, or going to get hurt!' - THERE'S A LOT OF TALENT IN THE ROOM!

It is funny to hear Ryan talk about indecision at some weights and saying that he is not as set as other years, but the difference is that 'he has a lot more choices at a higher level.' (Other years it was a challenge to find one healthy body at each weight that could be competitive!)- Due to the level of competition in the room, and the depth of the team, he has more alternatives because the 'seconds' at each weight is getting better, and there is not as much drop-off to the next guy as there has been in years past.

We may be starting at 6th in the national rankings, but I am looking forward to where we are at the end of the year when Hunter gets healthy, and some of the young guys start to show what they are made.

From watching Tom's video, here are some of the questions that I have towards this season:
1) Will Hunter get completely healthy by 1/1/2016
2) Tom said that Micah wants to be a 4-timer, will he be able to dominate 141 in his freshman year?
3) Will 149 be 'serviceable' until Hunter gets healthy?
4) Will Jake be able to step up and compete at 157 right away? - With his gray-shirt year, he is not a typical freshman, and he had a very good year in his red-shirt freshman year last year. This is starting his third year training in Steelwood (and he's still a freshman), it will be interesting to see how he stacks up this year. - Again, training every day with Logan, and Humprhreys, and Demas, and Micah, and Bo, will either get you better, or break you. I'm guessing he's getting better.
5) 165 if a big question mark if Bo stays up at 174. Kresivic has some experience, Seth Williams is progressing, so I don't know what to expect here?
6) Bo should be a National Champ if he avoids Dieringer!
7) I like the way that Ryan referred to Myles Martin, he obviously has a very positive opinion of his possibilities and promise as he progresses. - This will be fun to see how it turns out through the year. - We outsiders never know exactly what to expect out of incoming freshman. Certainly, Nate, Kyle, and Bo lived up to and exceeded expectations last year, but it will be interesting to see how the higher rate recruits this year pan out. With Myles, and Kollin Moore, and Ke-Shawn Hayes, there is certainly some talent there, but how quick will they rise to the top?
8) There are some of the best comments I've heard on the Tav v Haines discussion in this video. - Sounds like Tav is healthy and wrestling well (as Tom referred to his form when he was Round of 12 as a freshman), and Haines may be just overcoming the injuries but is steadily growing and improving. - That competition may be fun to watch as the year progresses.

I have been accused in the past of being a 'little optimistic' when it comes to the Bucks Wrestling Team,but can anyone tell me for sure that the following 4 guys can't win a National Championship in their class this year?

125 - Nate Tomasello - 2015 - Defending National Champion.
141 - Micah Jordan - He wants to be a 4-timer, I am not telling him he can't do it. (His only loss last year in open competition came after a nasty head-butt.)
149 - A HEALTHY Hunter Stieber - He's as good as anyone in this class when healthy. (Big Bro's got 4 NC's, he at least has to get one just to sit at the 'big boys' table at home.)
174 - BoJo - With no Dieringer to contend with, he should dominate.

I didn't say that they definately will, but could and maybe even should succeed if all of the unknowns of a tiring, long, physical Big Ten Season can be survived.

As for the other classes:
133 - I am hoping that JDJ can put it all together his senior year. I think that he has been close talent wise for 2 years, but he just has to put it all together at the right time. - A lot of Seniors finally put it together their senior years, and I hope that Johnni does this year, because the team needs his points.

155 - I am hopeful for Jake, but we have to see it first, before we can believe!

165 - If Bo stays at 174, this could be our weakest weight this year. - But, I hope that the guys at this weight surprise me!

174 - If Bo moves down to 165, it would be interesting to see how Myles Martin can perform at this weight. - Can the true freshman step-up to the big-time?

184 - I haven't mentioned Kenny in this article. - I don't want to jinx him. - I loved the NCAA tourney he had. - Can he sustain that level of confidence and continue to grow? I have thought for years that he had the talent and quickness to compete with anyone, but there always seemed to be unexplainable lapses. - It could have been due to energy fluxuations over large weight drops? - It could have been conditioning? - It could have been mental and concentration related? - I DON'T KNOW? - I just hope that he finds the level of competition that he showed at the NCAA's last year, and keeps it up!

195 - I don't know what to expect here? - I am hoping that Mark steps up and has a year like Nick Heflin had two years ago. - But, I don't know if that is realistic. - Nick had a couple of AA years before he moved up. - Mark doesn't have that credential, but I do believe that he was wrestling in possibly the toughest weight division last year, and that not all guys at 197 have the quickness and moves that he has. - I would be surprised if Kollin Moore can beat Mark out of this spot, but we will see? - Is a low AA at this weight possible - YES? - Is an early knockout in the NCAA tourney possible - YES? - I just don't know what to expect at this weight.

285 - I would like to see growth in this class this year. I'm not sure if that means a healthy Tavenello, or a healthy Haines. - I believe that they both have the potential talent, it just depends how it plays out, and how the health holds out. - It might be heplful if Ryan can rotate these guys and keep them healthy all season. And then one of them hopefully steps up and AA's at the NCAA's. - I have more 'hope' in this class than I do full expectations!

My point of all of this is, the national pundits are all writing OSU off for this season. - They had one freak NC last year that was led by a graduated Logie Bear!

I wouldn't count out Tom Ryan and the Bucks! Yes some things have to turn out right at the right time, like it did last year, (and like it did for the Buckeyes football team last year), but the building blocks are there.

The Bucks could arguably have 4 championship contenders (or finalists), and another 3 or so AA's. If that came to pass they would be back in the middle of the championship conversation.

It may not happen, but it is possible!

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on October 24, 2015

Help me to understand the point angle (where are you, Mathlete?):

Is the contention/hope that Bo as a Finalist @ 165 lbs. and Martin AA at 174 lbs. is more likely/attractive than Bo winning at 174 lbs. and no one doing much at 165 lbs.?

Keep in mind I'm no NCAA point mastermind, but it seems that strategically you'd want to go with your potential National Title Contenders (NaTo, Hunter, Bojo, Micah?) shored up with a contingent cog group of potential AA (J.D., Kenny, Martin, et al)...

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on October 24, 2015

Justin:
As I interpret Tom Ryan's video, he wants to start Bo at 174 and have either Justin Kresevic Seth Williams at 165.

I would say that he has high hopes for Myles Martin to develop quickly at 174, and will use the open tournaments to monitor that growth. - I would say that if Myles shows the promise that Tom is looking for, then he expects that possibly Myles could score some points at 174, and then he would move Bo down to 165.

And I certainly would not concede that Bo couldn't beat Dieringer at 165. It just hasn't happened yet.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on October 25, 2015

Quote from Pat Altvater's post:

"Justin:
As I interpret Tom Ryan's video, he wants to start Bo at 174 and have either Justin Kresevic Seth Williams at 165.

I would say that he has high hopes for Myles Martin to develop quickly at 174, and will use the open tournaments to monitor that growth. - I would say that if Myles shows the promise that Tom is looking for, then he expects that possibly Myles could score some points at 174, and then he would move Bo down to 165.

And I certainly would not concede that Bo couldn't beat Dieringer at 165. It just hasn't happened yet."

Don't get me wrong, I think Bo is outstanding and want him to win badly.

But barring Bo crippling him with his leg ride, The Ringer is still, well, The Ringer.

It seems like 2 "ifs" are more unlikely than Bo having a good shot at winning at the higher weight class, however, the "let's see how Myles does, then make a decision" approach seems to be the wisest approach for now.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on October 25, 2015

Big blow to PSU might lose Nevillis for the year due to injury

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on October 25, 2015

Per this article on Flo, PSU has no backup 197 and no backup heavy. (http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251734-Wrestling-News-and-Updates/article/36266-Potential-Huge-Blow-To-PSUs-Title-Run)

Even if they grab a kid from the football program, can't imagine he's a contributor at either B1Gs or NCAAs. This isn't quite akin to us losing snyder, but it's close. Brings them back to the pack and might make Okie State the favorite.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on October 25, 2015

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"Big blow to PSU might lose Nevillis for the year due to injury"

"In a spectacular twist of sovereignty as unforeseen circumstances played out in late February, the anticipated front running teams faltered going into the NCAAs.

They possessed neither the manpower (injuries, legal woes, and personal struggles) nor firepower (their stars underperformed) to hedge the Ohio State Buckeyes, who maximized every last team point opportunity, working like men whose children were at home starving.

Coach Ryan was overheard exhorting his tribe on Day One, 'When going through Hell... keep marching!' On Day Three, they repeated as NCAA Wrestling Champions."

#Repeat.

Let it be written, let it be so. :)

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next