Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks Lineup
Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 4, 2015

Lou mentions Micah as potential 141, which would be nice so they can redshirt KeShawn. And it sounds like Courts will be 184, and Mark M. vying for 197, which I am curious to see, given the success Heflin had jumping 2 wgts.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on October 4, 2015

Jack:

Nick Heflin was a two-time All-American before making that jump; Mark Martin is a top 15-20 guy. Neither of them has much offense, but Heflin was an outstanding counter wrestler. My sense is Martin is best suited for 184.

Did anyone catch what Lou said about 157-165? Jake Ryan will wrestle off Cody Burcher at 157 and the loser will move up. Does this mean Bo Jordan is going 174? And if so, does this impact Mark Hall's decision to be a Buckeye?

I've been following OSU wrestling for 15-plus years and I can never recall a time where the lineup was this fluid heading into a season. Tomasello will be 125, DiJulius 133 and Courts 184. Every other class is up in the air.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 4, 2015

I guess Micah to 141 is a go. Hope it works out. I can certainly see why it would be in the team's best interest.

Courts and Martin must both be really heavy. Sounds like one of them needs to make a big cut.

Wonder when Hunter will be ready to compete? Beginning of season (with restrictions)? January?

I've been told repeatedly that Myles Martin is too big for 174. Guess not.

Fun to speculate. All questions get answered as the season moves along.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on October 4, 2015

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"Brady,

According to the article, he's currently weighing 180# and a junior. Do you know what weight he plans on wrestling this upcoming season?"

160 or 170

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"There's some live wrestling footage of Romero on Flo at the college combine at Liberty; pretty cool."

Here's the links:

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/252538-Midewest-High-School-Wrestling-Combine/video/795810-Hiles-VS-Romero-Live-Go-Combine#.VhFfD_lViko

and an interview (thanks Zeb):
http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/252538-Midewest-High-School-Wrestling-Combine/video/795800-Romero-Is-A-Double-Threat-In-Wrestling-and-Football#.VhFfMflViko

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on October 4, 2015

If goes 174 lbs, who are the top competitors at this weight?

It doesn't appear he can beat The Ringer yet and keeps him and Isaac in different weight classes...

I think he wins 174.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on October 4, 2015

Am I the only one who thinks the plan if for Micah to go 141 only part of the season until Hunter is healthy enough to rejoin the lineup?

I have a feeling once Hunter is ready to go then they can either switch places if Stieber was at 149 or just plug Stieber straight into 141 if his weight is already down.

149 is probably Micah's natural weight class and perhaps Cody Burcher can wrestle 149 until Micah's ready to come up.

It sure will be fun to see how Coach Ryan moves the pieces around in the first half of the season. I remember when he had Nemec and Sponseller cut down an extra weight one season. They were both flat and exhausted so he bumped them right back up. Ryan won't stick with a plan if it doesn't work.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on October 4, 2015

Chris: Yes, you are the only one who thinks that.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on October 4, 2015

Well, it just makes sense to me. Can't wait to see how everything plays out. I won't even begin to guess what the upper weights are going to look like.

I just remember making weight back in high school and I feel pity for guys cutting so much.

Go Micah, Go Hunter, and Go Bucks!

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on October 4, 2015

Christopher,

I know what you mean about wrestlers cutting alot of weight, I feel the same way about NaTo.

I do think the plan is for Micah to wrestle 141# unless proven it's not going to work. I think Hunter has no intentions of going 1413.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 5, 2015

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"Christopher,

I know what you mean about wrestlers cutting alot of weight, I feel the same way about NaTo.

I do think the plan is for Micah to wrestle 141# unless proven it's not going to work. I think Hunter has no intentions of going 1413."

I get it - it is a typo. But I chuckled when I read "1413" and I combined it with my feelings when I "cut weight*" - I would GLADLY try to go 1413.

*my sophomore year I cut from about 130 to 112. That was pretty significant for me. But I wasn't walking around chiseled like a Greek god with 5% body fat either.

Whatevs. Go Buckeyes!

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on October 5, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

*my sophomore year I cut from about 130 to 112. That was pretty significant for me. But I wasn't walking around chiseled like a Greek god with 5% body fat either.
"

How did you get so chiseled since HS???

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on October 6, 2015

Quote from Christopher Henderson's post:

"Well, it just makes sense to me. Can't wait to see how everything plays out. I won't even begin to guess what the upper weights are going to look like.

I just remember making weight back in high school and I feel pity for guys cutting so much.

Go Micah, Go Hunter, and Go Bucks!"

Chris, can't imagine Micah agreeing to what you've proposed. Which is for him to make a significant cut to 141 for early season tournaments only to regain the weight he lost and wrestle 149 in the postseason. No coach would subscribe to that plan. You'd much rather wrestle Micah at 149 and use a stop gap at 141 until Hunter is ready to take over.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 6, 2015

Biggest problem with Micah dropping is what happens if he can't maintain the cut. Assuming Hunter will be 149, Micah ends up back at 157.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next