Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Discussion Topic: Triv Question, another tuffy
Deven Dittrich added to this discussion on September 10, 2015

Quote from Dan Strope's post:

"

Quote from Deven Dittrich's post:

"

Quote from Jamie Teel's post:

"Gelvin from Kettering....who was a state champ his junior year.....no idea on the score. Most of my pa. knowledge (not saying there is a ton) was sparked by Erik Burnett wrestling at Clarion."

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner! The score was 17-7.

Also of interest to you Ohio fans was the 132 lb bout at that 1985 Dapper Dan. St. Ed's Jeff "Bubba" Strauss started the bout with three straight takedowns- he made it look easy, like he was drilling with the JV kid- and jumped out to a quick 6-2 lead via TD-and-release against the PA AA State Champ and OW, who happened to be from a WPIAL school. After Strauss's third TD and subsequent release, the PA kid nailed him with a headlock and pinned him. The roof nearly came off Pitt's venerable Fitzgerald Field House from the cheers of the hometown crowd. That wrestler was named Derrick Hall, from Jeanette High School- Terrelle Pryor's alma mater- and, I believe, the father of Jordan Hall, formerly of your Ohio State Buckeyes football team.

(Bob, please feel free to correct me if you remember the Strauss match differently)"

I was on the bench that night since I got to wrestle in the prelim for the WPIAL team against Iowa. I believe Hall stuck Strauss from a mat return. And you are right, the rafters were vibrating. Also got to work out with Cuvo the night before. Proudest night of my life as I got the first takedown on him. Never mind that he got the next 45 to close out the practice."

Dan: you may be right re: the mat return. For some reason, I thought the score had been 6-2 at the time of the headlock but the score wasn't adding up if the headlock was from neutral. Hall catching it while in the bottom position makes a lot of sense.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 10, 2015

Dan--that's a great story. Glad you shared.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on September 10, 2015

Hey, Niemann...

I can't seem to find Devin's bio on the introduction thread. Jus' Sayin'.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 11, 2015

Deven: http://ohiowrestling.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5330&start=150 - Introduce yourself properly.

Corey Haddad added to this discussion on September 14, 2015

Here is a good college trivia question: There are TWO occasions when brothers were All-Americans in the same year at different schools.

Name the brothers, the years, weight classes, and which schools they competed.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 14, 2015

good to see Corey on here--- i know one right away, the Moore bros, Josh at Penn St and Scott at Virginia. Wt classes i'd guess Josh 141, Scott 149. The other 2 i will leave to sharper minds, its bedtime.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on September 14, 2015

Purler brothers? (Whoops. Edited)

Last edited by Doug Brandt on September 15, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Deven Dittrich added to this discussion on September 15, 2015

Good call, Bob. Scott Moore took 3rd- and (I believe) won the Gorrarian and Schalles Awards- at 141 for Virginia while Josh placed 2nd at 133 for Penn State in 2004.

Purler twins would be a good choice - I think one was at Nebraska and one might have stayed at Oklahoma State (or did he transfer to home state Mizzou?) but I don't remember the year or which school Nick was at and which school Tony was at. I'd guess the year had to be around '93 to '95 since OSU's suspension would've been around '92 or '93. Weights would've been between 118 and 134.

If not the Purlers, then maybe either the Kistlers or Morgans in the 80's. No clue on the names, weights, or schools. Morgans probably would've included Minnesota. Kistlers would've included Iowa. Weights for both families would've been in the 150-177 range I would guess.

Micah (UPenn) and Nathan Burak (Iowa) were both in the same 197 lb bracket at NCAA's in 2013 or 2014. Micah was a returning AA, Nathan became an AA in 2014. Not sure if either AA'ed the year they were in the bracket together but I'm pretty sure that they both did not AA in the same year.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 15, 2015

The Roy brothers? One was AA at Michigan while the other was at Rutgers.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on September 15, 2015

I remember when the Simaz Brothers were both at 197 for Central Michigan and Cornell. I can't remember if the Chippewa made All American, though.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on September 16, 2015

I don't believe Eric Simaz was ever an AA.

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on September 16, 2015

Did the Jordans overlap....Im certain I read they AA'd 5 years in a row but not sure if ever the same year?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 16, 2015

"Did the Jordans overlap....Im certain I read they AA'd 5 years in a row but not sure if ever the same year?"

Both attended Wiscy. Has to be different schools at same time.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 16, 2015

"Did the Jordans overlap....Im certain I read they AA'd 5 years in a row but not sure if ever the same year?"

Tsk, tsk. No pastrami for you, my good man.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4