Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Triv Question, another tuffy
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 9, 2015

yes impressive, a test is how Deven will do in NCAA contest u run Brady-- many well known names on here have flopped, lol, and u know who u r.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 9, 2015

#GuiltyAsCharged

Deven Dittrich added to this discussion on September 10, 2015

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Deven, where are u from ? your background.

Koll the 6th yes, u win again, u got all 6-- a couple guys got 5- even 3 or 4 was very good effort. i'm impressed with the responses, very knowledgeable group, i thought question would take longer to answer."

I probably should have recused myself from this one: I'm a PA guy who graduated from high school in '88 so this question was right in my wheelhouse. At that time, there was a periodic newspaper in PA- Keystone Wrestling Roundup- that was published about 8 times per year by Jim Butler in central PA. From about '83 until around '96 I used to anticipate and devour every issue. The issue that came out in late February/early March, which listed the PIAA "favorites" and "top challengers" at each weight, was probably read throughout the state with the same fervor as the Brakeman Report was in Ohio. When I read your question, I can still see the grainy black and white photo of the champions from the '88 NCAA's that was on the cover of the April issue of the KWR. So, a PA question from that era is my personal "golden age".

As far as future trivia questions...I think I can be pretty competitive with PA-centric questions in a forum filled with Ohio fans, but I'm afraid that I'll get crushed with any Ohio questions that can probably be answered by not only 99.9% of the posters on here but probably half of their spouses and children, as well. I'm just thankful that this forum exists so that fans can actually get excited about discussing wrestling trivia and minutiae without a spouse or child rolling their eyes and zoning out as we "talk wrestlin'"!

Speaking of the '88 NCAA champs from PA... Jack Cuvo (118) and Jimmy Martin (126) had wrestling careers that were very similar: Cuvo was a 3x PIAA champ with a record of 139-2 in high school; Martin was a 3x PIAA champ with a record of 159-2; both won 2 state titles at 98 lbs then won their senior year at 105 lbs; both were NCAA champs, with Cuvo winning two crowns and being a 3x AA and Martin winning one crown but being a 4x AA. After college, though, their paths diverged. Martin is an Orthodpedic Surgeon in State College, PA, after a long tenure at Penn State's Hershey Medical Center. Cuvo has been in and out of trouble with the law and was recently arrested for making a minor drink vodka. It's a shame because Cuvo was such a great, great wrestler. Non-stop motor. Won 26-12 in the state finals as a senior. Was also an All American in cross country.

As a Ohio- and Cuvo-related trivia question... In 1985, Jack Cuvo wrestled an Ohio high school wrestler at the Dapper Dan. I do not beleive that the Ohio wrestler was a state champ that year, however, he was a Junior National freestyle champ. Who was the Ohio wrestler? As a tiebreaker...what was the score of their Dapper Dan bout?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 10, 2015

Deven: Erik Burnett is a possibility.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Deven: Erik Burnett is a possibility."

Excellent choice! However, I believe that Burnett graduated from high school in 86 or 87. Burnette certainly would've been worthy of a Dapper Dan invite based on his storied high school career. Plus, wasn't Burnett a 4x state champ?

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on September 10, 2015

Devin - welcome aboard, outstanding intel added to OWN.

Hartmann from Ignatius?

If it wasn't a state champ, I'm thinking Mark Marinelli?

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on September 10, 2015

Gelvin from Kettering....who was a state champ his junior year.....no idea on the score. Most of my pa. knowledge (not saying there is a ton) was sparked by Erik Burnett wrestling at Clarion.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 10, 2015

Quote from Deven Dittrich's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Deven: Erik Burnett is a possibility."

Excellent choice! However, I believe that Burnett graduated from high school in 86 or 87. Burnette certainly would've been worthy of a Dapper Dan invite based on his storied high school career. Plus, wasn't Burnett a 4x state champ?"

i was there that year and i cant get it -- ohio kid must have been last minute replacement, i recall he didnt have DD cred.

i think ohio may have had a couple great 105s in 1985 but not seniors, Dan Hanson & as Hank said Erik Burnett, both eventual 4Xers.

Quote from Jamie Teel's post:

"Gelvin from Kettering....who was a state champ his junior year.....no idea on the score. Most of my pa. knowledge (not saying there is a ton) was sparked by Erik Burnett wrestling at Clarion."

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner! The score was 17-7.

Also of interest to you Ohio fans was the 132 lb bout at that 1985 Dapper Dan. St. Ed's Jeff "Bubba" Strauss started the bout with three straight takedowns- he made it look easy, like he was drilling with the JV kid- and jumped out to a quick 6-2 lead via TD-and-release against the PA AA State Champ and OW, who happened to be from a WPIAL school. After Strauss's third TD and subsequent release, the PA kid nailed him with a headlock and pinned him. The roof nearly came off Pitt's venerable Fitzgerald Field House from the cheers of the hometown crowd. That wrestler was named Derrick Hall, from Jeanette High School- Terrelle Pryor's alma mater- and, I believe, the father of Jordan Hall, formerly of your Ohio State Buckeyes football team.

(Bob, please feel free to correct me if you remember the Strauss match differently)

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 10, 2015

Deven: Welcome aboard. How did you discover this site, being the PA guy that you are?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 10, 2015

" (Bob, please feel free to correct me if you remember the Strauss match differently)"

lol, not likely i'll be correcting u often Deven.

another top PA brain in the wings, Corey Haddad AWN hs national ranker, Lehigh Valley resident, helps me with Ironman seeding.

Corey is waiting to be approved to come on board. He is attracted by ow.net knowledgable posters and real name policy. ...... bottom line ow.net high school which has been lacking will greatly improve soon.

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Deven: Welcome aboard. How did you discover this site, being the PA guy that you are?"

Mark: I've lurked here for years but I can't recall exactly when or how I discovered it. I used to be an assistant high school coach and we brought a team to Brecksville tourney a couple of times so I may have stumbled on it while researching OH tournaments. Or, I used to coach a good wrestler so I'd try to find him partners to practice with, which led me to Jim Hewitt and Samsons. Coach Hewitt was always very welcoming and generous with his knowledge and time. I'm almost positive that I used this site to promote a summer tournament that we used as a fundraiser around 2007 or 2008. I honestly can't recall if I found this site as a result of trying to promote the tournament or if it was one of the other earlier reasons. Although what brought me here to begin with has been long since forgotten, it's the vast knowledge of the posters, the respect and civility shown toward others, and the genuine love of wrestling that has kept me coming back. Thanks for allowing me to observe and, hopefully, contribute to a great forum.

Dan Strope added to this discussion on September 10, 2015

"

Quote from Jamie Teel's post:

"Gelvin from Kettering....who was a state champ his junior year.....no idea on the score. Most of my pa. knowledge (not saying there is a ton) was sparked by Erik Burnett wrestling at Clarion."

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner! The score was 17-7.

Also of interest to you Ohio fans was the 132 lb bout at that 1985 Dapper Dan. St. Ed's Jeff "Bubba" Strauss started the bout with three straight takedowns- he made it look easy, like he was drilling with the JV kid- and jumped out to a quick 6-2 lead via TD-and-release against the PA AA State Champ and OW, who happened to be from a WPIAL school. After Strauss's third TD and subsequent release, the PA kid nailed him with a headlock and pinned him. The roof nearly came off Pitt's venerable Fitzgerald Field House from the cheers of the hometown crowd. That wrestler was named Derrick Hall, from Jeanette High School- Terrelle Pryor's alma mater- and, I believe, the father of Jordan Hall, formerly of your Ohio State Buckeyes football team.

(Bob, please feel free to correct me if you remember the Strauss match differently)"

I was on the bench that night since I got to wrestle in the prelim for the WPIAL team against Iowa. I believe Hall stuck Strauss from a mat return. And you are right, the rafters were vibrating. Also got to work out with Cuvo the night before. Proudest night of my life as I got the first takedown on him. Never mind that he got the next 45 to close out the practice.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next