Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: The Old Guy
Shel Harper added to this discussion on August 31, 2015

Hank, I guess I'm the 94-year-old you mentioned. (If there are others, I'd like to share some stories with them.) I subtracted my birth year 1921 from today's 2015 and got 94. You have to face it: people from West Virginia just know math better than those schooled in Ohio. (I gotta be careful though, since I'm a tOSU guy, class of 1950.)

Justin, you said you'd like to read some bio, so at the risk of repeating stuff I wrote a few months ago when I joined this site, thanks to Hank, here are some bits:

1939 grad of E Fairmont High in WV, whose 1937 wrestling team was state champs. No tournament. Probably a vote of coaches.

I didn't "discover" wrestling until January 1980 at one of the early (if not the first) St. Ed's quad of state champs in January 1980. I have no wrestling background, but I compete well as a spectator-----at matches, and now on this site. You guys make great reading for nuts like me.

My wife Nita (she died in 2000) and I often watched St. Ed dismantle opponents in the 80s and 90s. She liked Joe Silvestro.

Claudia and I (she's the widow of my wedding's best man) attended a few matches before mobility became a problem. She got to be a big fan of the Palmers, and almost charged the mat in the St. Ed's gym during the final match a few years ago for the national title when the Blair guy banged the head of our guy on the mat before losing the match and the team score to St. Ed by a point or so. Most noise I ever heard at a match.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: The Old Guy
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on August 31, 2015

Quote from Shel Harper's post:

"Hank, I guess I'm the 94-year-old you mentioned. (If there are others, I'd like to share some stories with them.) I subtracted my birth year 1921 from today's 2015 and got 94. You have to face it: people from West Virginia just know math better than those schooled in Ohio. (I gotta be careful though, since I'm a tOSU guy, class of 1950.)

Justin, you said you'd like to read some bio, so at the risk of repeating stuff I wrote a few months ago when I joined this site, thanks to Hank, here are some bits:

1939 grad of E Fairmont High in WV, whose 1937 wrestling team was state champs. No tournament. Probably a vote of coaches.

I didn't "discover" wrestling until January 1980 at one of the early (if not the first) St. Ed's quad of state champs in January 1980. I have no wrestling background, but I compete well as a spectator-----at matches, and now on this site. You guys make great reading for nuts like me.

My wife Nita (she died in 2000) and I often watched St. Ed dismantle opponents in the 80s and 90s. She liked Joe Silvestro.

Claudia and I (she's the widow of my wedding's best man) attended a few matches before mobility became a problem. She got to be a big fan of the Palmers, and almost charged the mat in the St. Ed's gym during the final match a few years ago for the national title when the Blair guy banged the head of our guy on the mat before losing the match and the team score to St. Ed by a point or so. Most noise I ever heard at a match."

Thanks for sharing, Shel!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion