Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: New Topic of Great Importance
Roe Fox added to this discussion on August 21, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Buy a jar of Don Hermann whole pickles (green). Leave the jar unopened and let it sit for at least a month. Open. Eat your aged dill pickle. That's good."

I'm trying that.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 21, 2015

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"
where was Lou & Hys, "

Not upscale at all. Where Frank hits West Market on north side of street. Great delis are for the masses, not the elite.[/quote]

never there, i spent little time in Akron after i grad Buchtel then came army, ohio st, move to cleveland --

my Akron memories mainly the great driveins, everyone knows Skyway and Swensons (where my bro worked at the original one), but most Buchtelites then hung at now-defunct Garner bros which was on W Market less than a mile west of Swensons.

Shawn Andrews added to this discussion on August 21, 2015

My college roommate Brent Thompson (of the great 90's Walsh teams) took me to Swensons my very first day in Kent. Introduced me to the Galleyboy... nothing like that in Central Ohio.

Side note I married a lovely lady from the East coast, she misses the food and all of the small mom and pop shops. Much of the food in the Columbus area doesn't have the regional identity the way Cleveland does or East Coast city's with their cultural pockets.

I look forward to making to Mr. Brisket soon, Bob you are right nothing like a good crisp pickle with a sandwich.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 21, 2015

Quote from Shawn Andrews's post:

"My college roommate Brent Thompson (of the great 90's Walsh teams) took me to Swensons my very first day in Kent. Introduced me to the Galleyboy... nothing like that in Central Ohio.

I look forward to making to Mr. Brisket soon, Bob you are right nothing like a good crisp pickle with a sandwich."

Shawn,
origial Swensons owned by a doctor btw, Akrons west side where Market, Hawkins and Exchange interesect, my bro worked there. Has to date to WW2. That was the St V hangout. (thats why LeBron took his co-stars to Swensons when they came to Akron.)

now defunct Garner bros was Buchtel, both great--
of course in that ancient era i was always trying to fix up old cars that seldom ran so my trips to the drivein were severely limited by my dads willingness to give me his keys.

try Claussens in grocery refig section, keep chilled-- u can get the fulls or halves but i get the slices because u can just lay em in your sandwich, any sandwich-- last night i had 2 toasted onion roll buns with nothing but home grown tomato slices, pickle slices and mayo-- thats all u need with a beer.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on August 21, 2015

I got to enjoy your Rueben with pastrami last summer when I hitched a ride with Nieman and met you and John Ice.

And we had a wonderful afternoon of discussing college wrestling. - I don't think we had the guts to predict an OSU national championship at that time, with so many freshmen starting.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 21, 2015

Quote from Shawn Andrews's post:

"My college roommate Brent Thompson (of the great 90's Walsh teams) took me to Swensons my very first day in Kent. Introduced me to the Galleyboy... nothing like that in Central Ohio.

Side note I married a lovely lady from the East coast, she misses the food and all of the small mom and pop shops. Much of the food in the Columbus area doesn't have the regional identity the way Cleveland does or East Coast city's with their cultural pockets.

I look forward to making to Mr. Brisket soon, Bob you are right nothing like a good crisp pickle with a sandwich."

Shawn: We are definitely an east coast style butcher shop. High quality with little emphasis on aesthetics. I look forward to meeting you and the lovely Mrs. Andrews.

Roe: You don't need to refrigerate the pickle jar. Just leave in a cool spot for a month. Some liquid may leak out a bit as the pressure pushes the cap upward.

Confession: I've never been to Swensons. Need to go. There's a B-Spot (Michael Symon's burger chain) near my house and it's very good. But there are also several Five Guys nearby which are also excellent.

Of course we make burgers at my store from chuck and brisket trimmings. Great burger if I do say so myself. Key to a good burger is the right fat to lean ration. Too much fat and you've got a burger that shrinks to nothing. Too little and it's dry. I've had plenty of bad burgers dining out. Worst Burger ever would also make an interesting topic.

Jared Opfer added to this discussion on August 21, 2015

Ryan, where you headed to in Sandusky?

Quote from Ryan Keaton's post:

"It was nice to meet you too Hank, and the corned beef sandwich truly was the best I've ever had. I'm heading to Sandusky right now with a stop in Cleveland to follow. The best thing the customer there and I have in common is our love for food! With that said if all works out I will see you for lunch."

Ryan Keaton added to this discussion on August 21, 2015

Quote from Jared Opfer's post:

"Ryan, where you headed to in Sandusky?

"It was nice to meet you too Hank, and the corned beef sandwich truly was the best I've ever had. I'm heading to Sandusky right now with a stop in Cleveland to follow. The best thing the customer there and I have in common is our love for food! With that said if all works out I will see you for lunch."

"

Jared,

I'm originally from Genoa and believe your familiar with that school and crushing the dreams of one very talented individual!

I work for a company that specializes in the mining/quarry industry. I was at the Hanson Wagner plant right off 250 this morning.

Jared Opfer added to this discussion on August 21, 2015

Small world, they have a great program and a fine young man with D'Emilio coming in. You do any business with Erie Blacktop? One of the owners Larren Wikel, is a huge wrestling fan and official. He does a lot of the big national tournaments.

"

"

Jared,

I'm originally from Genoa and believe your familiar with that school and crushing the dreams of one very talented individual!

I work for a company that specializes in the mining/quarry industry. I was at the Hanson Wagner plant right off 250 this morning."

Ryan Keaton added to this discussion on August 21, 2015

Yes, we do business with Erie Materials however Larren is above my pay grade. I feel like I have something to approach him about now and I appreciate that!! Your absolutely right Dylan will be a star in the future.

"Small world, they have a great program and a fine young man with D'Emilio coming in. You do any business with Erie Blacktop? One of the owners Larren Wikel, is a huge wrestling fan and official. He does a lot of the big national tournaments.

"

"

Jared,

I work for a company that specializes in the mining/quarry industry. I was at the Hanson Wagner plant right off 250 this morning."

"

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on August 21, 2015

"Yes, we do business with Erie Materials however Larren is above my pay grade. I feel like I have something to approach him about now and I appreciate that!! ]"

Larren is WHAT????
Did he tell you that??
That is like Feeney telling you something silly like that he is called Refman!

Ryan Keaton added to this discussion on August 22, 2015

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"

"Yes, we do business with Erie Materials however Larren is above my pay grade. I feel like I have something to approach him about now and I appreciate that!! ]"

Larren is WHAT????
Did he tell you that??
That is like Feeney telling you something silly like that he is called Refman!"

No Jim I wouldn't know Larren if he was right in front of me. I would like to though! I deal with a couple of his plant managers. I think it's great that' he's into wrestling as I'm game to talk wrestling with anyone anytime!

Shel Harper added to this discussion on August 22, 2015

Bob. . .you rang my memory bell with such force that I gotta go back to your Akron-Buchtel-Swenson comments.

I lived several places in Akron, including near Buchtel High on nearby Noah Ave 1952-55 and Dover Ave., streets probably familiar to you, and probably a few years before you were a high school freshman there.

I was a carhop at the second Swenson's on E. Cuyahoga Falls Ave. in north Akron in the summer of 1947 between my sophomore and junior years at OSU. I was a customer at the original Swenson's you mentioned (which, I think, dates from 1935 and was one of the early driveins) when I was at at Hammel Business College near E. Market and Main in 1939-49. A national publication once rated the Swenson cheeseburger best in the nation. I can't quarrel with that, and still enjoy one occasionally at the Swenson's in Seven Hills on Broadview.

The local wrestling talk in those days was Joe Begala's Kent State team.

Better stop here or I'll be reminiscing until the cows come home.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2