Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Buckeye Football Podcast
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on August 20, 2015

I recorded another podcast about the Buckeyes for your listening pleasure. This one is with Bill Greene from Scout.com. Here's the link:

http://wtuz.com/joe-chris-and-jason-talking-buckeye-football-with-scout-coms-bill-green/

For Bob:

He talks about the QB siutation - thinks both will play;
The backup RB situation - thinks Curtis Samuel is that guy until Weber gets back;
The WR situation - thinks Torrance Gibson is a beast in waiting;
He thinks the Buckeyes have a good chance at repeating; and,
He thinks recruiting is going VERY well right now.

Hope you all enjoy!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Curt Heinrichs added to this discussion on August 20, 2015

Is this available on itunes? I listen to podcasts at my desk and would gladly give up precious phone memory for a listen to this.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 20, 2015

thanx Jason, i'll match wits for sake of discussion- i started listening to buckeyes on radio in 1957. Use to play basketball on the W. 11th courts with Jack Tatum. Drink beer at Charlie Browns with Bob Ferguson. Grilled Woody Hayes lunch at the Mr Roberts counter. Been around the buckeye block a time or two, still follow religiously.

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"

For Bob:

He talks about the QB siutation - thinks both will play;
Bob response: one has to start and lead, thats a must- the experts on TV say JT starts, i say Cardale will. Ronda Rousey will make a few ph calls to fix it.

The backup RB situation - thinks Curtis Samuel is that guy until Weber gets back;
Bob response: if Ezekiel goes down we don't have a good backup, but we DO have a really good O-line.

The WR situation - thinks Torrance Gibson is a beast in waiting;
Bob response: he will continue to wait, WR has soooo much talent. btw, where is Dontre Wilson, where is the wonder boy of 2 years ago? forgotten. WR & H-back candidates get swallowed up.

He thinks the Buckeyes have a good chance at repeating;
Bob response: no one ever has "good chance" at repeating, only Bama a few years ago and NEB in 94-95 have done it in the last 3 decades. Now its harder with 2 playoff games u have to win plus a conf title game. "

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on August 20, 2015

Curt: No, apparently the podcast is NOT available on Itunes. Sorry.

Bob: Mr. Greene said it would be interesting to see what they do at QB in a close game, but also said that he doesn't see many of those this year.

Weber will probably be the backup once healthy, and the staff really likes him.

Gibson will play. Best deep threat on the team.

Mr. Greene said basically what you did about repeating, that it's very difficult and almost impossible, but said that they have as good a chance as anyone to win it this year.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 20, 2015

Jason, to your points:
...re QB in close game, Stanley Jackson said 2 QB system hurt them in big upset losses to Mich in mid90s, he & Germaine. i'm going against the grain, i think its Cardale.

...re Weber, he a rookie, yet unknown under fire.

...re Gibson, we will see but i see alot of WR talent.

re repeating, its rare-- and its not the schedule, its that they gonna have to prove it vs a WORLD of HYPE, that can be a killer. Alot of potential problems, too many stars & wannabee stars, QB controversy, key inj, this football is a funny game.

my cursory observation is that No team was ranked # 1 between 1968 and 2002 -at sometime during season- in more seasons than ohio st, yet there was no title for 34 years.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on August 21, 2015

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Jason, to your points:
...re QB in close game, Stanley Jackson said 2 QB system hurt them in big upset losses to Mich in mid90s, he & Germaine. i'm going against the grain, i think its Cardale.

...re Weber, he a rookie, yet unknown under fire.

...re Gibson, we will see but i see alot of WR talent.

re repeating, its rare-- and its not the schedule, its that they gonna have to prove it vs a WORLD of HYPE, that can be a killer. Alot of potential problems, too many stars & wannabee stars, QB controversy, key inj, this football is a funny game.

my cursory observation is that No team was ranked # 1 between 1968 and 2002 -at sometime during season- in more seasons than ohio st, yet there was no title for 34 years."

Bob: I haven't been a buckeye fan quite as long as you, but I do remember cheering for Rex Kern, Jim Stillwagon, Jim Otis, and John Brockington in the shoe.

I am a little surprised to see how much love that Weber is getting. - I really thought that this is the year that Brionte Dunn would step up into the #2 spot behind Zeke. And, I don't think Dunn will give that up without a fight.

As for Cardale, I was amazed and enjoyed his metamorphasis from the end of the UM game through to the national championship. - I don't want to sound negative, but I certainly thought that at each step he would be exposed as being very raw and undeveloped and not ready for the brights lights that were being thrust upon him. BOY, WAS I WRONG, AND I AM GLAD I WAS! - But a lot of that was the offensive genius of Urban Meyer and Tom Hermann.

I am a numbers guy, and the numbers that JT put up last year was amazing. He surpassed Drew Brees Big 10 touchdown record without playing in OSU's final 3-1/4 games. - Also, he was #2 in the country in efficiency. - He had been described as similar to Kenny Guiton is his ability to find the open receiver and dish the ball off. - That is the perfect attribute in an Urban Meyer Offense. - Many of you may not know, but JT is the third leading returning 'RUSHER' in the Big 10, behind only Zeke, and Jackson of NW. - So, 1) JT can run, 2) JT is extremely efficient in passing, and 3) OSU has surrounded the offense with a wealth of riches in skilled positions to complement the QB, and 4) Urban has said that JT's leadership skills are off the charts.

All of those things add up to me that JT is the perfect QB for this offense, and team.

Comparing the two:

Cardale is the better:
1) LONG BALL THROWER! (And this does have a peripheral effect of opening up the running game for Zeke.)

JT is the better:
1) RUNNER (but he's not running over any nose tackles)
2) LEADER
3) SHORT GAME MANAGER
4) DISTRIBUTOR OF THE BALL
5) OPTION GAME RUNNER

I would start Barret, but I would give some opportunities to Cardale also, he has proven too much and earned the chance to showcase his skills also. - Actually, I think that their skill sets complement each other, as JT can open up with option running, and the short game to get the defense to tighten up the LB's and safeties, then bring in Cardale to go Long Ball.

It should be a fun year to be a Buckeye football fan.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 21, 2015

Pat,
surprise, i too think JT better, for one thing he is expert at the "zone-read" which is important part of ohio st offense. ---

but reason im thinking Cardale is gonaa start is:
...how he ended season
...he will go in draft, JT has 3 years left
...Urban Meyer will give the "draft-elig" guy the job to maintain team unity. Bench him and u screw the QB who won your national championship.

"Pat,
surprise, i too think JT better, for one thing he is expert at the "zone-read" which is important part of ohio st offense. ---

but reason im thinking Cardale is gonaa start is:
...how he ended season
...he will go in draft, JT has 3 years left
...Urban Meyer will give the "draft-elig" guy the job to maintain team unity. Bench him and u screw the QB who won your national championship."

You did surprise me!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 21, 2015

Pat,
but this kind of talk in PD bothers me, u know me, i hate overconfidence, always trying to damper it, but maybe will come true however it bothers me-- many an ohio st team has been hyped, maybe not this much, yet we went from 1968 to 2002 w/o a national title.

Many many frustrating years and big game losses where we were close. Younger guys don't know this, but i do, you do too. So i want to let things play out, be humble, it wont be an easy season.

UGH-- from PD, "What's next for Ohio State isn't just another title chase, but something more. It's a chance to build that empire and own an era, to establish a mini-dynasty in a sport where change is required."

" Many many frustrating years and big game losses where we were close. Younger guys don't know this, but i do, you do too. So i want to let things play out, be humble, it wont be an easy season.

UGH-- from PD, "What's next for Ohio State isn't just another title chase, but something more. It's a chance to build that empire and own an era, to establish a mini-dynasty in a sport where change is required.""

The Bucks are certainly going to get everyone's best game.

Contrary to what those idiotic ESPN announcers say all the time, there is some tough hard-nosed football played in the midwest. - As a Buckeye fan, here is my concerns for this year.

1) MSU - Dantonio gets to put the chip back on their shoulder. His guys played us as tough as anyone last year. They will not be a pushover, that could be the kind of game that is determined by a field goal, or a turnover. - But I don't think their defensive backfield is as tough as it's been. - The Spartans are probably good enough to win the puny SEC this year though.
2) PSU - Penn State was close to beating us with a depleted roster last year. - They have a third year QB who may be the top QB taken in the draft, with a now experienced offensive line that was rebuilt and inexperienced last year. - Their defense might have been the best that we faced last year, and I know that their offense will be greatly improved.
3) UM - Anytime I think about Harbaugh coaching UM this year, it reminds me of Coach BS' first year coaching there in 1970 and it scares the heck out of me. It took him a little time to get his system working with the previous coaches recruits, but over the length of the season, that team came together in their last game of the season and delivered one heck of an upset of a great Woody Hayes team that were the defending national champions. - I hope it's not deja vu all over again! - Also, their defense was very good last year, their issue was their O'line and fumbles at QB, which I think Harbaugh and his offensive staff from the San Francisco 49'ers will remedy real fast. - UM could be the most improved team in college football this fall!
4) Minny - I think Coach Kill and the Gophers are the most under-rated team in the nation. - Because they run the ball and their not flashy, nobody wants to give them credit. He has built a solid squad and now has his players in place to win. His teams have gotten better every year he has been there. - Their defense is solid, with possibly the best defensive backfield in the Big 10. Don't sleep on the Gophers.
5) Badgers - I don't think the coaching change will hurt them at all. Chryst has been part of that program and has a relationship and understanding with Alvarez. - If they play OSU in the Big Ten championship game, do you think their coach could get them fired up for that game after receiving a 59-0 pasting last year. - I got a feeling that the team that beat Auburn last year could probably play with OSU on a given day if they were properly motivated!

EVERY ONE OF THOSE TEAMS WILL BE HUNGARY WITH SOMETHING TO PROVE WHEN THEY PLAY OSU. - MEYER BETTER HAVE THEM READY TO PLAY, OR WE WILL BE IN TROUBLE!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 23, 2015

"Pat,
but this kind of talk in PD bothers me, u know me, i hate overconfidence, always trying to damper it, but maybe will come true however it bothers me-- many an ohio st team has been hyped, maybe not this much, yet we went from 1968 to 2002 w/o a national title.

UGH-- from PD, "What's next for Ohio State isn't just another title chase, but something more. It's a chance to build that empire and own an era, to establish a mini-dynasty in a sport where change is required.""

AND here we go Pat, Jason, exactly what ive been warning about-- alot unforseen can go wrong on the road to "greatness", just this weekend an already suspended Bosa messes up again, the plot thickens:

A Twitter poster that appears to be @Reedpalur posted a couple of Tweets regarding this alleged incident, including photographic evidence of Bosa being handcuffed and questioned by Columbus police.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on August 23, 2015

"

"Pat,

AND here we go Pat, Jason, exactly what ive been warning about-- alot unforseen can go wrong on the road to "greatness", just this weekend an already suspended Bosa messes up again, the plot thickens:

A Twitter poster that appears to be @Reedpalur posted a couple of Tweets regarding this alleged incident, including photographic evidence of Bosa being handcuffed and questioned by Columbus police."

I'm hearing rumors that the incident was with some Buckeye wrestlers. Can anyone confirm this?

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on August 24, 2015

I just copied this from bleacher report.

Report: Columbus Police Briefly Detained Ohio State Star Joey Bosa Last Night
Andrew Holleran

Ohio State star defensive end Joey Bosa was detained for a short period of time late Saturday night, according to a report by Eleven Warriors.

Bosa, who is among the group of Buckeyes suspended for the season opener against Virginia Tech, was “briefly detained..questioned and released.”

He was not arrested or charged with anything.

CPD source: “We detain and handcuff people all of the time. Mostly to try to determine what happened at a scene.”

— Eleven Warriors (@11W) August 23, 2015

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 24, 2015

"we detain and handcuff people all the time." ?? hmmm --i cant brush this off, he was already supended, i'm guessing Urban wont either, is he just unlucky or is there a pattern??

buckeyes the first team ever unanimous # 1 in AP pre-season poll, 8th time they've been pre-season # 1 however in previous 7 they never ended up # 1.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on August 24, 2015

8th time is a charm?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next