Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: sports records
Shel Harper added to this discussion on August 15, 2015

Bob's talk of sports records and expectations brought to mind these items:

A wrestling HOF plaque in Stillwater tells us that Osamu Watanabe won 187 international matches lifetime without yielding a point. I don't know of a more remarkable achievement in sports history. Anyone?

And some trivia questions:

1. Name the baseball HOF member who got in with the highest pct. of yes votes from the sportswriters.

2. Has any pro baseball pitcher ever fanned 27 in 9 innings?

3. Has any major college football team ever completed a full season unbeaten, untied, and unscored on?

Anyone answering all 3 questions correctly gets his choice from a Mr. Brisket menu. I'll have to talk with Hank to determine who pays.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on August 15, 2015

Quote from Shel Harper's post:

"Bob's talk of sports records and expectations brought to mind these items:

A wrestling HOF plaque in Stillwater tells us that Osamu Watanabe won 187 international matches lifetime without yielding a point. I don't know of a more remarkable achievement in sports history. Anyone?

And some trivia questions:

1. Name the baseball HOF member who got in with the highest pct. of yes votes from the sportswriters.

2. Has any pro baseball pitcher ever fanned 27 in 9 innings?

3. Has any major college football team ever completed a full season unbeaten, untied, and unscored on?

Anyone answering all 3 questions correctly gets his choice from a Mr. Brisket menu. I'll have to talk with Hank to determine who pays."

Tom Seaver, Ron Necciai and the 1932 Colgate Red Raiders.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 16, 2015

Doug: Free sandwich for you anytime. Thanks to Shel for appointing me as sponsor.

Shel Harper added to this discussion on August 16, 2015

Doug. . .you're half right with Seaver. . .he tied with Nolan Ryan at 98.8%. You got Ron Necciai right, and Colgate was l/3 of the answer to the football question, the others being Tennessee in 1939 and Duke in 1940. You did good.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on August 16, 2015

Thanks, Hank. The next time I come up to Cleveland to visit, I'll stop by and say hello and try one of your great sandwiches.

Shel, thanks for your posing the questions. A few things:

1) What 1.2% didn't think Seaver and Ryan worthy of a top vote?

2) How can anyone strike out 27 guys in a game?

3) In those undefeated seasons, was there ever a field goat that was "wide right?"

Shel Harper added to this discussion on August 17, 2015

Doug.. .yes, you wonder how any sportswriter could deny Seaver and Ryan entry to the HOF. Re Necciai, the story about that 50s game said that he allowed a groundout but struck out 4 in a late inning. About field goals, they were very rare in the 30s, which, as I remember, was the era that saw the last of the drop-kick tries for field goals and extra points. In c1937 a new rule ended basketball's center jump after every goal. Just before that. My high school, East Fairmont WV, lost a game to Morgantown 13-12.

► Add to the Discussion