Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Great Lady wrestling journalist passes
John Ice added to this discussion on July 30, 2015

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2015/07/30/legendary-chronicle-wrestling-writer-judie-asp-was-a-true-mat-mom

Many childhood memories with the family!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 30, 2015

Judy Asp was a great lady, one of my very favorites on the wrestling beat. I recall her well from the Mentor district and state tournaments at both Wright St & the Schott.

In the 90s her 2 beautiful (& im not kidding, they were!!) twin daughters would sit next to her on press row at state, the daughters did all the agate-- "agate" being wt by wt results u see in newspaper-- they would do all the agate which was used by some papers besides the Elyria Chronicle, one being the Plain Dealer matter of fact.

we all would often have a couple beers later in their room at Red Roof Inn Columbus, a couple coaches would drop in, like Jamie Milkovich for a bull session-- great times, great lady, fine wrestling writer. Ive missed her in recent years but never forgot her. ...s/BobP

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 31, 2015

I didn't know the Asps personally but it is a name I associate with North Ridgeville wrestling. As for Judy Asp, I can't imagine any greater legacy than to pass on and have an article written where everyone universally talks about what a great person you were--in addition to being terrific at your profession. My condolences to the family. Sounds like this is a big loss for everyone.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 31, 2015

quote: "Asp developed her passion for the sport while attending John Marshall. The Lawyers won the 1961 state championship and Asp was hooked."

connecting the dots, she was a bit older than another top wrestling writer Pat Galbincea who also attended Cleveland John Marshall, grad about 1966 i think. Of course that would place both of them in the era of the late great coach Gene Gibbons, NCAA champ, Olympic alternate, many H of F's. --- wrestling is a small world, with alot of dot connections.

► Add to the Discussion