Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: Micic trf
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 20, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Reading between the lines...

Gregory Martin expects his son to redshirt (among other possibilities)."

ah so, i see, well 174--and 165-- could turn out several ways:

165 Bo/Williams/Harris/Prezzia/Kresevic

174 Bo/Myles/Williams/Harris

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Gregory Martin added to this discussion on July 20, 2015

Im a straight shooter so you don't have to read between the lines with me as far as Myles I expect him to work as hard as he can to be ready when called on One of the reasons he graduated HS and left for Columbus the following week and been there every since If he's ready and earned a spot Coach Ryan will make the call if he is not ready I expect him to wait his turn like everybody else does If I had to guess I would think he would RS because not many are ready for the college grind of the Big 10 straight out of HS especially as a upper weight but we will see I was actually referring to some of the other things I read as far as facts When it comes to my son me and Coach Ryan communicates on the regular so I am happy with what he is doing so far

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on July 21, 2015

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

174 Bo/Myles/Williams/Harris"

Am I the only one who is almost stunned at the quality depth at most weights that Ryan has built up? He's doing a great job.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on July 21, 2015

Quote from J.P. Barner's post:

"

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

174 Bo/Myles/Williams/Harris"

Am I the only one who is almost stunned at the quality depth at most weights that Ryan has built up? He's doing a great job."

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials.

-Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on July 21, 2015

Quote from J.P. Barner's post:

"

Am I the only one who is almost stunned at the quality depth at most weights that Ryan has built up? He's doing a great job."

We have been saying for years that there is a lot of positives about the OSU Wrestling Program:
1) You have a great coaching staff in Coach Ryan, Rosselli, Jaggers, Thatcher, and soon to be Logan Stieber.
2) They have an excellent training facility in Steelwood.
3) They have an AD that wants the program to succeed.
4) No offense to KSU and OU, but they are the premier wrestling school in a State with an abundance of great high school wrestlers.
5) They wrestle in the best wrestling conference in the country.
6) The close affiliation with the OTC gives a great freestyle training opportunity to those interested in preparing for the next level, and great training experience against world class competition to get ready for the college season.
AND NOW!
7) They are the NATIONAL CHAMPS! - And everyone wants to go to a proven winner.
8) Coach Ryan and his staff have always been good recruiters, and it's only easier to sell a recruit a championship opportunity. - Just ask Urban Meyer about that!

Coach Ryan, Coach Rosselli, AD Smith, and all involved for planning and executing the program's rise in national stature deserve huge congratulations. All of those elements took a long time to assemble and build. But as of March, we have reached the pinnacle, the NC!

To those of you who have read this blog regularly, we had a thread a couple of years ago discussing a 'short list' of the great current NCAA wrestling coaches. If I recall properly it was Cael Sanderson, John Smith, J. Robinson, and maybe Brands. (With Rob Koll not far behind.) The thought at that time was the only thing keeping Tom off of that list was that he didn't have a national championship.

Can we now say that Tom is one of the elite coaches in the NCAA?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 21, 2015

Mr. Martin: Thank you for chiming in. Always better to have facts than speculation (mine). Appreciate the correction.

Some of you are overstating the depth in my opinion but it is improving and that's the key. Maybe I'm unrealistic in my expectations in this regard?

Tom Ryan has been the Ohio State head coach for 9 years. His teams have finished top ten at NCAA's on 7 occasion with four of those seven being among the top five. Three of his squads placed top two in the nation which is very impressive IMO. And of course they just won the NCAA title--a monumental accomplishment.

I think Buckeyes have taken the step into the elite of college wrestling along with Iowa, Penn State and Oklahoma State. There are several programs right behind.

Much of Tom Ryan's success has been tied to his ability to land recruits that can challenge for titles as frosh (redshirt or otherwise). Hunter, Logan, BoJo, NaTo and Snyderman all fit this profile. The most obvious difference between Coach Ryan and any of his predecessors has been in the area of recruiting although I suspect his organizational skills have been much better across the board.

Bottom line--Ohio State is lucky to have him.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on July 21, 2015

I generally agree with you, Hank!

Two other closely related factors, are that Tom Ryan and Lou Rosselli are both 'top notch coaches' that continue to develop talent. And the success of the OTC.

One of my favorite videos is the tape of Tom watching Logan's first NCAA championship match under the stands. That kind of passion has to permeate through the entire OSU wrestling program.

While I am not an insider, it appears to me that Lou has done a tremendous job of bringing in and developing talent at the OTC. - They have been right at the top of all of the Regional Training Centers for several years. - Yes they have had some talented wrestlers, but Lou continues to lead and develop them. - I'll bet that you can't name 2 people in the country that would done equal or better job with the OTC than he has. The ability to train with those world class athletes has to be a huge benefit to young OSU recruits with Olympic dreams, (like Kyle Snyder).

It will be interesting to see how Logan does at freestyle now that he has more time to develop that technique against world-class competition.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on July 21, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfNdp_BRj9U

Who wouldn't want to wrestle for this guy?

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on July 21, 2015

Quote from Joe Kinzel's post:

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfNdp_BRj9U

Who wouldn't want to wrestle for this guy?"

Never get tired of watching that video.

We need a like button, by the way.

Britt Malinsky added to this discussion on July 21, 2015

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"

Quote from Britt Malinsky's post:

"

Quote from Ron Hreha's post:

"Can Micic get scholarship money if he transfers within the B1G? I thought there was a rule about that but not sure if it applies to wrestling. Would be a huge add if the Bucks get him for free (no scholly)"

There was, but they got rid of it a few years back. It is now a year in residence, and a loss of a year of eligibility. (you may remember that last time you "benefited" from that rule was from Dave Rella, who transferred from Penn State)"

Rella was different--he was able to wrestle right away, but didn't receive scholarship money. I may be mis-remembering."

You're entirely right...I misspoke.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3