Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Micic trf
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 16, 2015

EVANSTON, Ill. – Redshirt freshman Stevan Micic has withdrawn from Northwestern University and intends to transfer, head wrestling coach Drew Pariano announced today.

"It was a privilege to have the opportunity to coach Stevan and witness his growth as both a student and athlete over the last year," said Pariano. "He's a gifted wrestler and has a bright future. We support his decision and wish him nothing but the best going forward personally, academically and athletically."

The 125-pounder posted a 19-3 record while wrestling unattached during the 2014-15 campaign.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 16, 2015

My curiosity would like to know why the move.

I realize transfers happen all the time. But this one sparked my interest. Not sure why, but it did.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on July 16, 2015

Micic is on the world team at 55 kilos, which converts to about 121 pounds. OSU has a pretty good 125 pounder with three years of eligibility remaining, so unless the plan is for Tomasello to bump up to 133, then I see no reason to bring Micic aboard.

That said, he did visit OSU before picking Northwestern, so perhaps a plan exists to work both he and Tomasello into the line up.

But I just don't see it.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 16, 2015

ohio st still very much wants Suriano-- Pletcher in picture too.

Britt Malinsky added to this discussion on July 16, 2015

...would have required Micic to sit out a season.

Not that it likely matters. Corey Haddad is reporting (via twitter) that Micic is Tempe, Arizona-bound. In other words, you may well see him in a singlet on November 20th, but it won't be an Ohio State singlet.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on July 16, 2015

With Micic in tow, Arizona State will be in the title hunt with the talent it's assembled in such a short period of time.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 16, 2015

Arizona State makes sense. How they're affording him is another issue though I suspect that program is well funded. Art Matori (is that his name?) and others have saved the program in the past. Now that they've got Jones and the recruits are pouring in, I'll bet the fund raising is going very well.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on July 17, 2015

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Micic is on the world team at 55 kilos, which converts to about 121 pounds. OSU has a pretty good 125 pounder with three years of eligibility remaining, so unless the plan is for Tomasello to bump up to 133, then I see no reason to bring Micic aboard.

That said, he did visit OSU before picking Northwestern, so perhaps a plan exists to work both he and Tomasello into the line up.

But I just don't see it."

Tomasello will be 133# in 2016-2017 season. He's a team player and wrestling 125# this year and it's going to be a long season for him.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on July 18, 2015

Man... I'm not at all saying he can't win at 33, but I wonder if he'd be better served to lay off the weights a little and stay at 125 instead. Seems his frame makes him a good fit for 125, but he knows his body better than I do.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on July 18, 2015

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"Man... I'm not at all saying he can't win at 33, but I wonder if he'd be better served to lay off the weights a little and stay at 125 instead. Seems his frame makes him a good fit for 125, but he knows his body better than I do."

I have always thought that moving up at some point made sense for Nathan. - Look at Logan's progression. He came in at 125, moved up seamlessly to 133, and ultimately up to 141 for his last championship. - I don't see any reason that Tomasello couldn't make the same type of transition. They are both exceptional competitors, team players, and athletes.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 18, 2015

Anvils aren't big but they're heavy.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on July 19, 2015

Based off the Flow interview with him it looks like Michigan is the favorite now.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 19, 2015

If Bucks get Spencer Lee, I could care less where Micic wrestles. Lee is amazing.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on July 19, 2015

Nick Suriano and/or Spencer Lee would be an excellent addition to tOSU but I don't think you pass up on a proven talent like Micic. Micic positive points are that once he sits out a year, he would be an immediate starter in 2016-2017, no learning curve and etc. SL & NS are at least 2 years out and tOSU needs a replacement for Tomasello next year. I'm not saying that Suriano can't come in and start next year but it seems like normal practice that incoming freshman take a redshirt their first year on campus.

I don't think you can go wrong with Micic, Suriano or Lee.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 19, 2015

Micic very complicated thats the problem-- Suriano or Lee would be clean cut u know what the deal is-- esp Suriano u get him next Fall.

with Micic u cant "sign him" for a year, hes a free agent, if he is released to Big Ten has 3 yrs elig. Regardless after that who knows, maybe to OTC ???

even if he has release and commited to ohio st tomorrow, Micic could at any time decide hes not wrestling at ohio st, he can change mind, after all he just did it to Nwstn.

Suriano probably penn st, lee likes logan so buckeyes do have good chance. Suriano clearly provides best option because u got him next Fall.

Last edited by Bob Preusse on July 19, 2015; edited 1 time in total

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next