Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Roger Chandler To Take Over MSU in 2016-17
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 30, 2015

Another Ohio guy will be a D1 head coach. And he will be the 4th head coach in Big Ten from Cleveland area (McFarland, Pariano and Heffernan).

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2015/June/30/Michigan-State-sets-plan-for-Minkel-retirement-and-Chandler-hire

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on June 30, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Another Ohio guy will be a D1 head coach. And he will be the 4th head coach in Big Ten from Cleveland area (McFarland, Pariano and Heffernan).

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2015/June/30/Michigan-State-sets-plan-for-Minkel-retirement-and-Chandler-hire"

I heard the chatter over at the big forum.

I'm not sure why MSU didn't post the position to attract national candidates.

Roger will do well, but I would suspect that MSU will only make occasional visits to the upper half of the conference.

I hope I'm wrong. Roger Chandler was a great wrestler; one who had the misfortune of facing a senior Cary Kolat in the 1997 finals.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on July 1, 2015

From what I've heard, MSU likes to hire "in house" or bring in familiar faces to the program. Problem is... when you've had such a drought for a long time, your options start wearing thin.

I wonder if Nick Simmons was even considered.

Dan Strope added to this discussion on July 1, 2015

Bad hire. He has been there 18 years already. What could they possibly think he is bringing to the table different now?

Sean Bormet, Borelli or even Terry Brands makes much more sense to me.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on July 1, 2015

Will Chandler be able to outrecruit others in the process. Sometimes. He will be able to put together some full rides for excellent recruits and a couple of them will pan out. Will they be top ten team. Probably not. Need a lot of good coaches and recruits to do that to have multiple AAs and champs. You can bring along an average recruit and make significant strides and never come close to achieving an AA status with them. You can take a blue chip and with minimal development can get more production value.

I would rate Minkels ability to recruit about a 1 on a scale of 10. He got lucky with Gomez. He was a Florida wrestler and not as heavily recruited. In comparison Tom Ryan is an 11 and just cemented Ohio State as the destination spot to make your goals happen for blue chips. It makes it easier to recruit going forward. Your awareness (as an athlete) goes a long way towards a final sale, marketing 101. What serious high school wrestler does not know of Nathan Tomasello, Kyle Snyder and Bo Jordan accomplishments this year.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on July 1, 2015

Yesterday I tallied up the number of individual NCAA champions the top schools have produced over the last 8 years (using wrestlingstats.com and trackwrestling.com)

Penn State and Cornell each with 9
Ohio State and Iowa each with 8
Okie State with 7

Certainly being able to produce individual national championships is also a strong selling point for attracting elite high school wrestlers.

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on July 1, 2015

This is boarder line ridiculous on the part of MSU. Chandler has been there 18 years and the associate coach for a few years. He is a major part of their team over the last 5 years. With the scarcity of Division one jobs a "new start" with a top assistant (Sammie Henson'ish) is needed. I cant see MSU battling for much more than 11th in the big ten.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on July 1, 2015

Bruce-
I like those numbers and I think they speak volumes towards a legitimate blue chip.

Dan Strope added to this discussion on July 1, 2015

Somewhere Duane Goldman is smiling.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 1, 2015

Roger Chandler can change the culture instantly with good hires for assistants. Will he? I don't know. But he can.

I understand the criticisms and recognize they may be valid. But until he takes over, no one really knows what will happen. He may have a great plan that will unfold as soon as he's hired.

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on July 1, 2015

Point taken Hank...and it's possible. However, I guess I take the stance that if he had a great plan he did the university a great injustice by not implementing it at some point in the last 18 years. Simply too much coaching talent out there to not take a look....

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on July 1, 2015

Horrible decision by MSU in my opinion. It's like rearranging deck chairs on a sinking ship.

They were perennially battling for last in the B1G, so let's promote the primary assistant. That sounds stupid, and is stupid.

► Add to the Discussion